JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the comment. How old were your kids when start taking them out together? I worry a bit as my boys are still very young (9 and 7) and I don't want to risk of one running around while I focus with the other. I was thinking of at least take them and drive by these areas to start showing them what it's like.

Obviously teaching kids is new to me, so all comments are appreciated, especially from parents. It's a little different from instructor vs. parents IMO just as I am trying to teach them school work at home vs. teachers from school. Ha!

I have 5 kids and if all 5 were with me, then that meant my wife was also there to help keep an eye on those who were not participating. But if it was just a couple then the 2nd one was always within arms reach while the other was shooting. And I never shot if the kids were there to learn. Can't have two small kids running loose when you're concentrating on the target, so you need to give them all your attention.
But all of my kids were shooting by around 7 or 8 yrs. old. My youngest daughter was probably the earliest starter just because she had watched for so long, and kept wanting to participate. But by age 8 she was safe enough, and proficient enough to shoot my 1911 .45 and do so safely and accurately. I started her out with one round in the chamber, and an empty magazine. And I was standing behind her with my hands on the gun too. After a dozen shots she wanted to hold it herself, so I simply repeated the one at a time thing for another 10 or 12 shots. Then she asked if she could have more than just one round, so we progressed to two rounds, and kept moving up gradually until she was shooting safely with 8 rds.
But before any of my kids were shooting they were taught gun safety at home. I was a range officer at my gun club, and I taught them not to handle guns if an adult wasn't around. I also went through every type of gun we owned and showed them how to check each one to ensure it was empty, and made safe. We had a rule in our home that if they wanted to look at a gun they had to show me they could check it to ensure it was empty and safe. If they couldn't do so, then that gun was off limits to them. So some semiautos with heavy recoil springs that made slides hard to draw back were off limits until thye had enough hand strength to check them.
We had no safes back when my kids were small, and just kept the guns in a spare bedroom closet under the 2nd floor stairs. But the kids never touched a gun, because they knew they could look at them anytime they wanted if I was there and they asked first. So it's all about training, and preparing them well long before going shooting. And not so much about a specific age. Kids are people too, and they age differently, so no two are ready at the same time. But there's no such thing as too young to be taught gun safety.

I have 5 kids and if all 5 were with me, then that meant my wife was also there to help keep an eye on those who were not participating. But if it was just a couple then the 2nd one was always within arms reach while the other was shooting. And I never shot if the kids were there to learn. Can't have two small kids running loose when you're concentrating on the target, so you need to give them all your attention.
But all of my kids were shooting by around 7 or 8 yrs. old. My youngest daughter was probably the earliest starter just because she had watched for so long, and kept wanting to participate. But by age 8 she was safe enough, and proficient enough to shoot my 1911 .45 and do so safely and accurately. I started her out with one round in the chamber, and an empty magazine. And I was standing behind her with my hands on the gun too. After a dozen shots she wanted to hold it herself, so I simply repeated the one at a time thing for another 10 or 12 shots. Then she asked if she could have more than just one round, so we progressed to two rounds, and kept moving up gradually until she was shooting safely with 8 rds.
But before any of my kids were shooting they were taught gun safety at home. I was a range officer at my gun club, and I taught them not to handle guns if an adult wasn't around. I also went through every type of gun we owned and showed them how to check each one to ensure it was empty, and made safe. We had a rule in our home that if they wanted to look at a gun they had to show me they could check it to ensure it was empty and safe. If they couldn't do so, then that gun was off limits to them. So some semiautos with heavy recoil springs that made slides hard to draw back were off limits until thye had enough hand strength to check them.
We had no safes back when my kids were small, and just kept the guns in a spare bedroom closet under the 2nd floor stairs. But the kids never touched a gun, because they knew they could look at them anytime they wanted if I was there and they asked first. So it's all about training, and preparing them well long before going shooting. And not so much about a specific age. Kids are people too, and they age differently, so no two are ready at the same time. But there's no such thing as too young to be taught gun safety.
Well done!

thank you @mm93! This part is exactly what we are doing right now as well. I do say that kids have amazing learning capacity. it's only been few weeks and they already have the rules memorized. their hands are a bit weak at the moment, and can't really work the slider just yet, especially my 7yo. so i was thinking of starting them with a bolt action .22lr just like I did. And start at prone for easier handling of the rifle. And just like you did, will start with 1 round in the chamber first. Once again, great read and feedback, thanks!

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

Target shooting in The Tillamook is banned? Correct? I should think so.

Seems kind of silly to me. Music Rd, NF wolf creek road, closed, yet you turn the other way and have access to many miles of high fire danger acreage. Is there some particularly high fire danger on the North side of 26 side that isn't on the South side? Rhetorical question, I think? No sweat for me, I don't go out there unless it's mushroom season or for a clean-up.

No shooting in the state forests or elsewhere. ODFW will be out patrolling and ANYONE not carrying buckets, shovels and water will be ordered out. So if you fire a rifle they'll come looking for you.

So just to make sure I read it correctly storyburn Rd is closed at hwy 6.
thanks

"The gates on Highway 6 will be installed at the entrances to:

• · Storeyburn Road
  • · Drift Creek Road
  • · Idiot Creek Road
The Highway 6 gates at these locations will likely remain open through the Labor Day weekend but may be closed sooner if there is a significant change in the fire danger or if the area experiences fire activity."

That's the way I read it.

No shooting in the state forests or elsewhere. ODFW will be out patrolling and ANYONE not carrying buckets, shovels and water will be ordered out. So if you fire a rifle they'll come looking for you.
I can't find any official word that Oregon state lands and elsewhere is closed to shooting. Same goes for ODFW patrolling. Patrolling where? Oregon State Forests and/or Federal lands, or is that just Fish & Wildlife lands? Where's your source of info?

I know you'd better have your fire prevention equipment because Law Enforcement, (Sheriff's, State Police, BLM Police and perhaps Fish & Game Police), will ask you to leave the forest if you don't, however, there's been nothing announced about target shooting being temporarily banned. It's only a recommendation that we don't shoot for a while. If you are shooting according to the rules, you should have nothing to worry about.

Still, I wouldn't go for now because of the heat and scarcity of ammo.

Let me know where you heard that state forests and elsewhere are closed. Thanks.

• · Storeyburn Road
  • · Drift Creek Road
  • · Idiot Creek Road
The Highway 6 gates at these locations will likely remain open through the Labor Day weekend but may be closed sooner if there is a significant change in the fire danger or if the area experiences fire activity."

I was Really hoping I read it wrong, funny thing is drift Creek Road is open and you can get the story burn Road via drift Creek Rd or unless they put a gate up there too along the way. I might have to go and find out tomorrow.

I was Really hoping I read it wrong, funny thing is drift Creek Road is open and you can get the story burn Road via drift Creek Rd or unless they put a gate up there too along the way. I might have to go and find out tomorrow.
I think the reason they are not putting a gate on Salmonberry is because it's a main road. Access must be important. The closures to the other roads effect everyone, not just shooters. But still, I haven't seen them say anything about shooting being closed. They only asked to avoid shooting during this time.

Have fun! (But pack that fire stuff!).

I can't find any official word that Oregon state lands and elsewhere is closed to shooting. Same goes for ODFW patrolling. Patrolling where? Oregon State Forests and/or Federal lands, or is that just Fish & Wildlife lands? Where's your source of info?

I know you'd better have your fire prevention equipment because Law Enforcement, (Sheriff's, State Police, BLM Police and perhaps Fish & Game Police), will ask you to leave the forest if you don't, however, there's been nothing announced about target shooting being temporarily banned. It's only a recommendation that we don't shoot for a while. If you are shooting according to the rules, you should have nothing to worry about.

Still, I wouldn't go for now because of the heat and scarcity of ammo.

Let me know where you heard that state forests and elsewhere are closed. Thanks.
It was through here but obviously i mixed up some messages. I saw the message about the gates going into North Fork Lanes due to the fire danger. Guess I spread it farther than I should have. I was intending to go up there this weekend and shoot some distance but I probably won't be doing that either. Start a fire at 600+ yards and it takes a bit to get there. I can wait, itchy, but I can wait!.
It is going to be a long hot week into next weekend.

Sheriff turning people around at browns camp entrence today 9/8

Doesn't sound like such a bad thing. I mean, if you look at the mess of shotgun shells left, and other rubbish, TVs, computers, I feel like most the people that shoot at the Beaver dam pit are DAMN STOOPID! And aren't cappable of enough thought to NOT set the forest on fire!

• · Storeyburn Road
  • · Drift Creek Road
  • · Idiot Creek Road

I saw that gate on Drift Creek Road, totally surprised me.

I saw that gate on Drift Creek Road, totally surprised me.
So you won't get surprised next time, click 'Watch' at the beginning of the Outdoor Shooting Areas section. Then you'll get notified of any new posts in this section.

I try to keep folks updated about shooting issues on public lands, both here and on the Trash No Land FB page, but sometimes important stuff can slip past and I could be a bit slow on posting it. But I try!

Sheriff turning people around at browns camp entrence today 9/8
Yeah, no recreation activities in the forest (including trail users). They are trying to keep some of the main roads open only to essential personnel and are asking recreational users not to come to the forest for a while.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top