JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kinda feel guilty... Kinda not. :)

Some probably know - I can't be the first.

Roads close in a few weeks - always worth the drive for me.

A nice gravel pit with a very slight grade - around 100 yards.
Right next to a 1000 yard clear stretch off power lines.

Never seen anyone else there.

Ripplebrook_1.png Ripplebrook_2.png

......[geezer voice ON]...Ripplebrook? RIPPLEBROOK!!!

40+ years ago I worked for the USFS up there, this is a feature I don't recall...but it always was a nice drive...sometimes going to work & sometimes coming back home...[/geezer voice]

Last Edited:
......[geezer voice ON]...Ripplebrook? RIPPLEBROOK!!!

40+ years ago I worked for the USFS up there, this is a feature I don't recall...but it always was a nice drive...sometimes going to work & sometimes coming back home...[/geezer voice]

Peavine road - about 15 miles + SSE of Ripplebrook.

I have always loved it up there. Always thought I'd like to live there.

45°01'43.8"N 121°52'34.8"W

Do you need all-terrain tires to get up there?
Tires? I would. It gets rough.
It will probably be impassable in a week or 2.

Never been, but I also thought a lot of the pits up there were active operations with job corpse and ODF.

I go on weekends - but never saw any signs of activity or signage.
A couple times I went mid-week and saw too many log trucks using a few of the roads there.

Asked a couple years ago at the Ranger station when it was still there - they said just to abide by forest rules and i should be good to go.

Tires? I would. It gets rough.
It will probably be impassable in a week or 2.

I go on weekends - but never saw any signs of activity or signage.
A couple times I went mid-week and saw too many log trucks using a few of the roads there.

Asked a couple years ago at the Ranger station when it was still there - they said just to abide by forest rules and i should be good to go.
Still there? They closed the ranger station?!?!?!

I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there, thanks for the tip. Always figured it was active, even if nobody was up there.

Still there? They closed the ranger station?!?!?!

I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there, thanks for the tip. Always figured it was active, even if nobody was up there.

Yeah - the little ranger op is gone... It's a tiny gift/snack shop now.

Is 'Lifer City' still active? A small cluster of residences a few hundred yards NE of the old Ranger Station....there also was a rather large Job Corps site about 1/2 mile to the NW on different spur.

But still run by ODF, right?
I'm disappointed that was shut down, there needs to be more of a presence out there than there was before it was closed... that's just crazy.

Is 'Lifer City' still active? A small cluster of residences a few hundred yards NE of the old Ranger Station....there also was a rather large Job Corps site about 1/2 mile to the NW on different spur.
I thought that was the JC residency... "lifer city"?

I have been to this one twice this year, best spot within 90 min of the city hands down...but has anyone actually shot long range on that clearing? How do you do that safely with roads on both ends of the stretch?

Wow crickets...this is kind of a good thing, I can't believe how good this pit is but no one wants to drive this far or talk about it?! :cool:

FYI: google earth clearly shows new power lines, I don't think long distance is possible anymore in that long stretch. So 150 max it is

Not sure how I missed this one.... I'll have to check it out.

Last Edited:
I have been to this one twice this year, best spot within 90 min of the city hands down...but has anyone actually shot long range on that clearing? How do you do that safely with roads on both ends of the stretch?
The power line stretch is an uphill grade with Peavine across the ridge.
We were last up there in February on snow mobiles - so, didn't see a soul.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.