JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The times I'd shot there I was with someone. It was always a weekday and fairly early in the day. Before 2:00pm for sure. I always struck up a convo with folks that came in. We'd call cold range to mess with targets, talk guns etc. It's been several years since I've used the pit, but we have stopped to chat with shooters a few times and they were nice.

As far as leaving guns on the tailgate while I walked out 100-200 yards to change/check targets....I--don't--know--about--that? Hafta use you own spidey senses and intuition on that probably.

As others have said, this place can be great, or pretty crowded. There are hikers, bikers, ATV/trucks, dirt bikers and shooters all in the same spot.

If all shooters were like the kind of great people we have on this forum, it would not be a problem. Unfortunately not all shooters are alike, and some don't follow basic safety and the proper regulations. Too many times I have seen people shooting into the forest with no backstop, over and on trails and into the sky. I tend to stay away from places like these. Browns has some great trails, but I take the time to find more secluded spots.

I stopped by the quarry yesterday on my way to town, just to check for brass.
What a garbage dump this is. Many places are so thick with shotgun shells and rusty steel cases that you can walk across them without touching the ground.
I was in a loaner car, mine was in the shop for recall repair, so I was unable to haul any of this stuff out with me.
I would be up for a group clean-up if anyone would like to get together here.

The road into the quarry itself is now blocked with boulders and there is no heavy equipment in the quarry. Looks like they are not currently working the quarry.

What a garbage dump this is. Many places are so thick with shotgun shells and rusty steel cases that you can walk across them without touching the ground.
I was in a loaner car, mine was in the shop for recall repair, so I was unable to haul any of this stuff out with me.

The road into the quarry itself is now blocked with boulders and there is no heavy equipment in the quarry. Looks like they are not currently working the quarry.

I would be into doing a clean up day at the Rock Pit in May if others are able to join.

Its also nice to see people chugging beer after beer while unsafely handling their firearms....*eyeroll* just happened recently and we made sure we got the heck out of there.

Is the place still a huge "Crap Pile"?
yes....

IMG_20180520_160431547_HDR.jpg

Living relatively nearby, I have frequented Brown's Camp for 4-wheeling and have shot at the gravel pit off and on. Frustrated and embarrassed with the accumulation of garbage (appliances, computers, etc., etc.) twice I have hauled my 4-horse stock trailer up there (once with a crew, once solo) and filled it: then to Hillsboro Landfill (for a tidy sum out of pocket).

I figured if I "got ahead of the problem", others would follow suit and the place would be better kept as an example of how we treat the outdoors and a rare place where we can shoot.

Both trips were began very early, arriving there around 7am (done with the intent of not running into a crowd). On the second trip (solo), around 9am, a group in two vehicles showed. Downrange with a handtruck and wheelbarrow, I could hear the hemming and hawing, and when I got back to the trailer with a load, "the spokesman of the group" approached and said, "Hey! Can we shoot?" (the others had guns on the tailgates and were actually loading magazines).

I replied, "Sure! I'll even join you when I finish!" (hint, hint: this worked with childhood friends when they wanted me to go goof around but I had chores: they'd pitch in to "spring me" from the chain gang).

The concept was lost on these idiots. One even cut loose with a full magazine when I was back at the trailer at one point. Before he could re-load, I yelled, "The range is cold!" and took off back downrange with my wheelbarrow. They departed shortly thereafter, peeling out in the gravel, a true credit to their chosen sport.

Haven't been back up there recently.

Living relatively nearby, I have frequented Brown's Camp for 4-wheeling and have shot at the gravel pit off and on. Frustrated and embarrassed with the accumulation of garbage (appliances, computers, etc., etc.) twice I have hauled my 4-horse stock trailer up there (once with a crew, once solo) and filled it: then to Hillsboro Landfill (for a tidy sum out of pocket).

I figured if I "got ahead of the problem", others would follow suit and the place would be better kept as an example of how we treat the outdoors and a rare place where we can shoot.

Both trips were began very early, arriving there around 7am (done with the intent of not running into a crowd). On the second trip (solo), around 9am, a group in two vehicles showed. Downrange with a handtruck and wheelbarrow, I could hear the hemming and hawing, and when I got back to the trailer with a load, "the spokesman of the group" approached and said, "Hey! Can we shoot?" (the others had guns on the tailgates and were actually loading magazines).

I replied, "Sure! I'll even join you when I finish!" (hint, hint: this worked with childhood friends when they wanted me to go goof around but I had chores: they'd pitch in to "spring me" from the chain gang).

The concept was lost on these idiots. One even cut loose with a full magazine when I was back at the trailer at one point. Before he could re-load, I yelled, "The range is cold!" and took off back downrange with my wheelbarrow. They departed shortly thereafter, peeling out in the gravel, a true credit to their chosen sport.

Haven't been back up there recently.

This is really sad. Not sure this place would benefit much from a big cleanup...

Actually, I think it would benefit, but the effort would have to be repetitive: sort of like an "adopt a highway" program, with participants being regular visitors (shooters) to the pit, with a dedicated mission to change the culture at this spot, and ready to suffer the slings and arrows from those "interrupted".

I know one thing: one guy can't do it.

suffer the slings and arrows from those "interrupted

That's the issue right there. I feel very safe at trash no land cleanups, because @Cogs does a great job organising LEO presence and signage. I would be pretty nervous trying to kick people off a shooting spot with just a few unofficial people.

The official lanes at North fork rd seemed to do a great job of keeping people from trashing the place.

There was an Earth Day clean up just days after your post. I was up there this past Saturday and no brass laying around, just lots of 12 Gauge shells and communist rifle cases, which cracks me up because all of that can be picked up with a magnet. With Memorial Day upon us this location will have more demand so a coordinated clean up is a great idea as well as some subliminal messages. For example to the casual observer it would be a Coors's Lite sponsorship sign, but to actually read it "Clean up after your own Lazy A**" or something similar. There are very clear directions posted on etiquette which are being ignored, to me that is because the board is facing the wrong way and we have a cultural issue. The Sheriff's deputies are not going to watch to see who marshal's their shells unless they are really, really bored or have been directed to get support to shut the shooting down. That would be a slam dunk any day of the week based on what I have seen and others horror storied that have been shared.

Is anyone feeling ownership to have a conversation with a bunch of fools shooting while leaping from the bed of their truck or chugging their way through a case while shooting? Not registering for me as a reasonable win on the old risk/reward meter.

I will be staying far away from Browns Camp this coming weekend, sure to be crowded up there.
I'm sure after this weekend there will be an even bigger need for a cleanup.
I would be in for helping on most any day. But I don't have a truck...

There was an Earth Day clean up just days after your post. I was up there this past Saturday and no brass laying around, just lots of 12 Gauge shells and communist rifle cases, which cracks me up because all of that can be picked up with a magnet. With Memorial Day upon us this location will have more demand so a coordinated clean up is a great idea as well as some subliminal messages. For example to the casual observer it would be a Coors's Lite sponsorship sign, but to actually read it "Clean up after your own Lazy A**" or something similar. There are very clear directions posted on etiquette which are being ignored, to me that is because the board is facing the wrong way and we have a cultural issue. The Sheriff's deputies are not going to watch to see who marshal's their shells unless they are really, really bored or have been directed to get support to shut the shooting down. That would be a slam dunk any day of the week based on what I have seen and others horror storied that have been shared.

Is anyone feeling ownership to have a conversation with a bunch of fools shooting while leaping from the bed of their truck or chugging their way through a case while shooting? Not registering for me as a reasonable win on the old risk/reward meter.

At all these places I'd like to see short messages stencil/painted on the rocks, and the jersey barriers at the NoFo sight. Who looks at the signs when they are well away from where you stand to shoot? A short sweet message on a flat rock "Pick up after yourself/others." "This is OUR site, please help us keep it" It would be right there to look at as you're pumping that 12 gauge and watching shells fly right past the message on the rock.

Communist rifle cases? Man, maybe I missed some... but i guess i am not the only one shooting those. Honestly, we call it in to the sherriff when we leave if we see someone drunk or chugging cases of beer. Its just unsafe for everyone and unresponsible. Thise people ruin the shooting for the responsible ones. I mean come on, who enjoys a drunk guy with his finger on the trigger at all times next to them. Its scary.

The pit is forever on Trash No Lands radar.

Sadly it is also always on the minds of the department of forestry too.

We will likely clean it this year for one of our Tillamook Cleanups.

Hopefully with future site development at Wolf Creek, we may be able to start pulling folks away from this area for recreational shooting.

Sadly, it has become known for the area where all sorts of crazy poop takes place. Night commandos running through the dirt roads blacked out going 50-60mph wearing night vision and shooting at "targets" out their windows.

Browns Camp literally is the Wild Wild West!

we would love to go to the wolf creek ones but sadly it is so overcrowded that we never get a spot...and we dont feel like waiting for 2 hours or going at 5am. Last time people even had a canope up and blocked the lanes all day....

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top