JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up my first browning product today after way to much shopping around. The X-bolt Hells canyon (7mm mag) seemed to have a lot of great features for the price. I paid just 1K for the gun from Sportmans warehouse.

I am shopping around for rings and a scope and this is what I am looking at...
DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base 1 Integral Rings Browning

Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Riflescope w/ Free Shipping — 8 models

Magnum rifles are way new to me and I was wondering if someone has an x-bolt in the same cambering with some ammo recommendations (bear and black tail to start)?

IMG_3484.JPG IMG_3483.JPG IMG_3479-1.JPG IMG_3481.JPG IMG_3482.JPG IMG_3480.JPG

Last Edited:
Nice. Let us know how it shoots.. and then you'll answer your question in post #2.

Exactamundo. With that being said, my longest shot on a mule deer buck was with a 7mm rem mag. That cartridge offers excellent bullets for long range precision shooting. 162gr. A-max is one of my favorites and has a very high B.C.... It's hard to go wrong with a good 7mm magnum.. As far as good factory ammo to suggest. Sorry, I only handload, but have had excellent accuracy from the factory Remington corelokt ammo (the only factory ammo I tried in my 7mm):
001-63.jpg
Never used that on a critter though. For black bear, I'd probably be looking for a little stronger bullet like the nosler partition. Federal makes a good load with the 160gr. Nosler partition in it. I believe it is called the federal premium "vital shok". I'd also look into hornady ammo. The interlock bullet would suffice in a pinch...

Last Edited:
My best advice for trying factory ammo in a new rifle:

1. Decide what kind of critters you are going to be hunting: Op stated he wants to hunt bear. Ok, I'd look for bullets that are going to hold up at 7mm rem mag velocities and not cause too much blood shot meat. Here's what I'd try, and it's not going to break the bank:

1. Federal premium vital shok with 160gr. nosler partition.
2. Hornady 162gr. btsp interlock: Hornady custom ammo.
3. Winchester super-X 150gr. and 175gr. powerpoint.

Furthermore, I am not going to suggest $65.00/box ammo when the above will work perfectly for the game at hand....;). I've got a buddy that loves burning up $65.00/box ammo, but I don't see the need, personally...

I am looking for a Black bear load here in the short term, preferably one that I can use for deer as well. Sounds like the 160-170 grain range is the sweet spot? I have shot a lot of federal (all kinds) and shot Remington core lokt sabot slugs are amazing (came from NY where it was all slug guns).

Is 500 yards reasonable with a setup like this?

It would be better to get within 400 yards if possible. And that is assuming that you are a skilled marksman.

The two newest high performance 7mm Rem Mag long range loads from Hornady are their:

162 gr ELD-X® Precision Hunter™
and
154 GR InterBond® Superformance®

I would personally not recommend hunting with their A-Max target bullets.

+1 to Nice rifle!
What seems like ages ago, I bought a bunch of Core-Lokt 175gr PSP for $12.99/box. I'd be afraid to see what it goes for now.
You'll do fine with anything mentioned above.
I've included a ballistic table from Gundata.org. I measured the 500 yard drop once on the 175, and it was 84", 2 shots from a Weatherby Vanguard 26". I never saw the speeds like they show below.

upload_2017-2-5_20-0-24.png

Im my readings it looks like a 200m zero will give me something nice and flat with no need to worry about anything from 0-250, a drop of around 7" at 300, 19.5" at 400, and 40" at 500. That was based on a 150 grain load. Obviously need to do the math on the bullet I find and in my gun, but is the 200m zero pretty stadard for something like 7mm mag?

Last Edited:
So last summer I bought a Remington long range rifle in 7mm. Has a Bell& Carlson stock and I had the recoil lug bedded.
Mounted a nice vortex scope and had some problems.
Went on the internet and a couple sites said if you want good 7mm mag ammo you need to hand load it,no manufacturer makes good 7mm mag ammo.
OK I'll try it out for myself. My hand loads did WAY better than factory. (Which I knew would be the case anyway)

I have had outstanding results with the Remington Corelokted Bullets ( the Gold Box, not the elcheepo Yellow and green) For Bear and any other need for a DEEP reaching shot. These hold up very well at the speeds a 7 mm mag produces, and make a good all round bullet with out spending a ton of cash. For hand loading I have always found the Swift bullets to be awesome, A frame for good expansion in light/ thin skinned game, and the Scirocco in tougher game and especially in tough weather conditions or for long shots! Do not have a 7 mm mag YET, but it's on my short list, Really thinking a Browning BAR would be just about perfect for this! Very Nice Rifle, Should serve you well!

It would be better to get within 400 yards if possible. And that is assuming that you are a skilled marksman

I would personally not recommend hunting with their A-Max target bullets.

Once again, just because you dont shoot very far, doesn't mean its not ethical or practical for someone else to do it.

And...how many animals have you shot with an A-max? I'll wait.

Hint......A 7mm, 162gr copper jacketed lead core bullet with a polycarbonate tip, is a devastating bullet on any deer.

Once again, just because you dont shoot very far, doesn't mean its not ethical or practical for someone else to do it.

Hint......A 7mm, 162gr copper jacketed lead core bullet with a polycarbonate tip, is a devastating bullet on any deer.
Yeah ,yeah I kinda think it does mean it's not ethical. But we've had this discussion before.
Learn to hunt and you won't need to take shots over 400 yards
And remember,wherever you hunt someone is taking the same game with a bow.
All it takes is a simple movement from the animal,or YOU to make a good shot a crippling shot on an animal you may not find
Learn to have patience and learn to hunt better.
Snipe wolves and coyotes not big game animals.
YMMV

Im my readings it looks like a 200m zero will give me something nice and flat with no need to worry about anything from 0-250, a drop of around 7" at 300, 19.5" at 400, and 40" at 500. That was based on a 150 grain load. Obviously need to do the math on the bullet I find and in my gun, but is the 200m zero pretty stadard for something like 7mm mag?

This is where it can get touchy, as there are many ways to skin this cat. I personally use ballistic plex reticles most of the times and dial other times. The guys that suggest not shooting past 400 yards, shouldn't be saying others shouldn't be doing that as well. This is entirely an individual thing and depends greatly on rifle and shooter ability. Some guys can and do make 700+yard one shot kills with ease and regularity. There are some places where you CAN NOT sneak any closer than 500 yards without an animal spotting you and running. Just how some places are:

023_zpsd44349c3.jpg
024_zps3f8f8200.jpg
0928131007_zpscc9a7741.jpg

I call this my "long range tag". I also don't/won't suggest using a 162gr. A-max for hunting. I know quite a few that do though. In my previous post I mention the A-max because it is a damn fine bullet with high BC, which is awesome for practicing those longrange shots on target and steel (BTDT). Sorry if some may have gotten the wrong idea with that post. If you want to shoot out to 500 yards, I see no problem with that because that is by my standards not long range. Is it for every rifleman? Hell no. Do you need an accurate rifle and shooter for those shots: Hell yes. As with all things related to dropping a big game animal, make that shot count: "1 shot 1 kill".

Now on to your question on how and where to zero your rifle:

1. Zero at 100 yards if you use a ballistic plex reticle that requires that zero. Pretty plain and simple approach.
2. Zero at about 250 yards if you like spinning turrets and shooting further out.
3. No fancy gadgets: use MPBR like the oldtimers used to do. JOC was a well known MPBR user... Your MPBR with a most 150gr. pills should be about 320 yards with a zero of about 260 yards. Keep in mind, you are much more limited in rage while using MPBR, but it is effective when shooting within that parameter (point blank to your maximum of 320)....
0804121357.jpg

And remember, just because those other guys have a self proclaimed 400 yard limit, doesn't mean yours has to be....;). Good luck with your new rifle. Hopefully it lives up to its name. Those hells canyons are pretty bad azzed.....

Yeah ,yeah I kinda think it does mean it's not ethical. But we've had this discussion before.
Learn to hunt and you won't need to take shots over 400 yards
And remember,wherever you hunt someone is taking the same game with a bow.
All it takes is a simple movement from the animal,or YOU to make a good shot a crippling shot on an animal you may not find
Learn to have patience and learn to hunt better.
Snipe wolves and coyotes not big game animals.
YMMV

Yes, my mileage varies greatly. I wouldn't consider 500 yards that far under good conditions. Bullet flight time of a 162gr bullet at 3000 fps isnt that long to 500 yards, especially compapred to an arrow to 40 yards. You dont have to shoot that far, but being able to isn't a bad thing.

I see way more wounded animals during archery season or from the 1 box of core lokts a year crowd.

Excellent post. Spot on...

Yes, my mileage varies greatly. I wouldn't consider 500 yards that far under good conditions. Bullet flight time of a 162gr bullet at 3000 fps isnt that long to 500 yards, especially compapred to an arrow to 40 yards. You dont have to shoot that far, but being able to isn't a bad thing.

I see way more wounded animals during archery season or from the 1 box of core lokts a year crowd.
That's BS on the archery over rifle injuries.
Only reason it's obvious on archery is the arrow sticking out
You just don't see how many were injury kills from a rifle
Total BS driven by rifle hunters. I've read percentages are equal.
No,you look it up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads