JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree. A bunch of great guys here...
And we have a arf.com hissyfit going on.

Notice I said bow hunters and the 1 box of core lokts a year crowd.
I don't think @mjbskwim missed the dual reference to archery and non-practiced shooters. I think we'd all agree that there are many hunters out there who shouldn't be hunting. Let 'em stay in their trucks.

@upstate88, how 'bout a picture of your rig? :D

And we have a arf.com hissyfit going on.

I don't think @mjbskwim missed the dual reference to archery and non-practiced shooters. I think we'd all agree that there are many hunters out there who shouldn't be hunting. Let 'em stay in their trucks.

@upstate88, how 'bout a picture of your rig? :D

And maybe we have a borderline cryfish.net mediator. Taste the rainbow.

Picked up my first browning product today after way to much shopping around. The X-bolt Hells canyon (7mm mag) seemed to have a lot of great features for the price. I paid just 1K for the gun from Sportmans warehouse.

I am shopping around for rings and a scope and this is what I am looking at...
DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base 1 Integral Rings Browning

Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Riflescope w/ Free Shipping — 8 models

Magnum rifles are way new to me and I was wondering if someone has an x-bolt in the same cambering with some ammo recommendations (bear and black tail to start)?
I don't currently but that is a very nice gun and very sexy.

Once again, just because you dont shoot very far, doesn't mean its not ethical or practical for someone else to do it.

And...how many animals have you shot with an A-max? I'll wait.

Hint......A 7mm, 162gr copper jacketed lead core bullet with a polycarbonate tip, is a devastating bullet on any deer.

Nice try to hijack what I said, but my point has nothing at all to do with anyone's marksmanship skills. It has to do with a field of science called physics.

Upstate888's own post #11 here in this thread clearly states my point. He states that the Remington ammo that he is apparently considering using has a 19.5 inch bullet drop at 400 yards, and a 40 inch bullet drop at 500 yards ( both calculated from using a 200 yard zero ). That is quite an increase. Past 400 yards, bullet trajectories are going to be dropping much more severely. That is a scientific fact that no one here can deny. Precise bullet placement thus becomes more and more of a challenge.

There is also an element here of respecting the animal that you are hunting. Why take shots that dramatically increase the chance of wounding an animal? A great many hunters look down on such hunters. I am certainly not the only one.

Versus: Is Long-Range Hunting Ethical? - Petersen's Hunting

And as far as hunting with Hornady's A-Max target bullets, which Hornady has designed specifically for target shooting, that would be something extremely illogical to do. The issue is this: Hornady makes fantastic state of the art HUNTING BULLETS, that are specifically designed to perform well on game, which are just as accurate and precise, and which also offer very high ballistic coefficients to provide flat shooting ammunition.

That Hornady 154 GR InterBond bullet that I mentioned earlier has a Ballistic Coefficient of .525. The Hornady 162 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter bullet I mentioned has an amazing BC of .631 Compare those to the Hornady A-Max 162 gr target bullet that was previously mentioned, which has a BC of .625

However, the recommendation of that 7mm A-Max bullet was actually quite pointless to make, as Hornady has discontinued production of 7mm caliber A-Max bullets. So even even if Upstate888 wanted to use them, he couldn't, as they are no longer available on the market to buy anymore. Upstate888 was given advice that is clearly out of date, and totally useless to him.

So no, I am afraid that I have to totally disagree with you on these points. I will not concede anything to you on these issues. We are diametrically opposed.

Nice try to hijack what I said, but my point has nothing at all to do with anyone's marksmanship skills. It has to do with a field of science called physics.

Upstate888's own post #11 here in this thread clearly states my point. He states that the Remington ammo that he is apparently considering using has a 19.5 inch bullet drop at 400 yards, and a 40 inch bullet drop at 500 yards ( both calculated from using a 200 yard zero ). That is quite an increase. Past 400 yards, bullet trajectories are going to be dropping much more severely. That is a scientific fact that no one here can deny. Precise bullet placement thus becomes more and more of a challenge.

There is also an element here of respecting the animal that you are hunting. Why take shots that dramatically increase the chance of wounding an animal? A great many hunters look down on such hunters. I am certainly not the only one.

Versus: Is Long-Range Hunting Ethical? - Petersen's Hunting

And as far as hunting with Hornady's A-Max target bullets, which Hornady has designed specifically for target shooting, that would be something extremely illogical to do. The issue is this: Hornady makes fantastic state of the art HUNTING BULLETS, that are specifically designed to perform well on game, which are just as accurate and precise, and which also offer very high ballistic coefficients to provide flat shooting ammunition.

That Hornady 154 GR InterBond bullet that I mentioned earlier has a Ballistic Coefficient of .525. The Hornady 162 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter bullet I mentioned has an amazing BC of .631 Compare those to the Hornady A-Max 162 gr target bullet that was previously mentioned, which has a BC of .625

However, the recommendation of that 7mm A-Max bullet was actually quite pointless to make, as Hornady has discontinued production of 7mm caliber A-Max bullets. So even even if Upstate888 wanted to use them, he couldn't, as they are no longer available on the market to buy anymore. Upstate888 was given advice that is clearly out of date, and totally useless to him.

So no, I am afraid that I have to totally disagree with you on these points. I will not concede anything to you on these issues. We are diametrically opposed.

You put way too much effort into this. You think "physics" creates some impenetrable wall at 400 yards where bullets just drop out of the sky? Is there a 400 yard atmosphere where bullets with a .625 BC that are fired at 3000 fps just disintegrate?

Hint, get off the couch and go outside and use these rifles. Fire those bullets. Fire them beyond 100 yards. I have....and they work! Its really a lot of fun.

Picked up my first browning product today after way to much shopping around. The X-bolt Hells canyon (7mm mag) seemed to have a lot of great features for the price. I paid just 1K for the gun from Sportmans warehouse.

I am shopping around for rings and a scope and this is what I am looking at...
DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base 1 Integral Rings Browning

Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Riflescope w/ Free Shipping — 8 models

Magnum rifles are way new to me and I was wondering if someone has an x-bolt in the same cambering with some ammo recommendations (bear and black tail to start)?

View attachment 345866 View attachment 345867 View attachment 345868 View attachment 345869 View attachment 345870 View attachment 345871

Hello. How did this rifle work out in the end? I read through the string and there is useful info.

I'm looking at the same rifle in either 30-06 and 7mm rem mag. It is the speed version and not the long range version so I believe the barrel will be a bit lighter (I'm aware of flutting).

I'm curious to know if the 7mm rem mag can still shoot tight groups? I am currently working in Prince George, BC and the range out here goes to 1000 yards. My scope is 15 x so this might give me something to do in the evening if the gun is accurate enough. Other than that I'm not a serious long range shooter.

If not I will likely just get 30-06 version with 22" barrel and go deer hunting.

Thanks

Andrew

120 rounds down range thus far. At the 90 mark I did a full clean and removed the copper and then re-fouled it.

I could not say enough great things about the rifle/mount/scope combo. I love everything about the combo and the 7mm rem mag cartridge. I was new to the big boy cartridges (from the land of bows and slug guns). The lighter barrel has never been an issue, the gun is capable of groups that I am not. I have put 5 different loads though the gun and 175 grain fushion gave me a group I could cover with a dime. All the ammo I have shot performed well enough that shooting to 300 or 400 yards would not worry me one bit. Groups have been great when pausing 5 minutes between shots (getting a cold bore zero, first round is what matters). Groups on faster three shot strings are every bit as tight as those coming out of the cold gun. Currently I am sticking with the 150 grain trophy coper solids.

Balance, finish, weight, and accuracy are all ideal for what I wanted. The plan was a gun that I could hunt everything from cats to elk from 25 to about 300 yards. I am not ready to shoot at a animal past 300 and where I live it is not realistic anyway.

Get the 7mm you wont be sorry, it is such a great round and coming out of this gun shoots easier than my friends .270. The brake, stock, 150 grain loads, and long barrel give you a easy shooter. I have put 40 rounds down range on a day and my shoulder was beyond fine!

I have shot...

1. federal fushion 150 grain
2. federal fushion 175 grain
3. federal soft point 150
4. federal soft point 175
5. federal trophy copper 150 grain

The soft point 175 and copper 150 have the same point of impact point of aim at 100 yards with is really convenient as I have been shooting from sitting, kneeling, prone, and improvised rests (trees).

For the gun, scope, and mount I have right about $1500 invested. There are no other firearms I have owned that I have enjoyed and appreciate this much. The only gun I have ever fired that was as satisfying/fun/whatever was my friends benelli M4 and that for a whole other reason, also not great for elk hahaha.

The gun shoots softer than any .270! Between the brake, recoil pad, stock long barrel, and the 150 (vs 175 or higher) grain ammo you could shoot until you ran out of money and never feel it in your shoulder. All that being said double up on the ear pro and warn your buddies, it sure is loud. The gun came with a thread protector which I will be using that this fall.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top