JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ever since......
sinking-boat2.jpg

Well.....
I haven't purchased a firearm in a long time.

Aloha, Mark

People confuse ethnicity with culture.

Case in point - my daughter and my very Caucasian niece grew up in the same town and only 5 years apart, my daughter being the elder.

My woke neice recently told my olive skin daughter that she was jealous of my daughter's culture. Because she has been taught to hate her whiteness (and heterosexuality - sidebar!) They grew up in the same extended family, FFS! They went to the same schools and grew up 4 miles apart.

The anti gun leaning people I've taken out to shoot, usually leave a little confused. They know they haven't done anything wrong and even enjoyed themselves. But there's that thing where they express a little guilt. Not everyone but a few.

Some people fight reality for some theories they've been taught. I've literally been hit in the face. No matter how nice a surroundings I built around myself, I've been hit in the face. That's impossible to remove from my mind.

But there's that thing where they express a little guilt.
This is because they have allowed themselves to be influenced by outside forces instead of deciding for themselves what is right or wrong and living by their own choices instead of that what is told to them 90% of the time.

This is STANDARD liberalism 101 - roll over and believe what I hear, and as long as it sounds good for me and the rest I'll follow blindly and fight off any of my OWN opinions or thoughts because I might feel guilty about MAYBE thinking differently!

Sorry - I could have probably 'expressed' that a little clearer but it is how I see liberalism in general - a total lemming 'follow the leader'. Brainwashed - go with the flow and whatever 'feels good'.

Pejorative language is subtle, intellectual, sophisticated and signaling; clever trick of the leftys...

Most Americans would never think of adding their ethnic origin before their American-ism.

From lefty WIKIPEDIA

In the United States, the term hyphenated American refers to the use of a hyphen (in some styles of writing) between the name of an ethnicity and the word "American" in compound nouns, e.g., as in "Irish-American". It was an epithet used from 1890 to 1920 to disparage Americans who were of foreign birth or origin, and who displayed an allegiance to a foreign country through the use of the hyphen. It was most commonly directed at German Americans or Irish Americans (Catholics) who called for U.S. neutrality in World War I.[1]

In this context, the term "the hyphen" was a metonymical reference to this kind of ethnicity descriptor, and "dropping the hyphen" referred to full integration into the American identity.[2]

Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson were outspoken anti-hyphenates.[3] Contemporary studies and debates refer to hyphenated-American identities to discuss issues such as multiculturalism and immigration in the U.S. political climate; however, the hyphen is rarely used per the recommendation of modern style guides.

I don't understand why anyone cares about this stuff. There are so many other (fun) things to do like shoot guns.
This is easy to understand, reading it from someone who has been a member of this forum for a little over four hours but if you choose to stay interested and become active you might eventually understand why people do care 'about this stuff'.

"NICS backgroud check info I beleive is to be discarded after a very short period. not years, Days."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAUAUAUAUAUAU (hic-snort) HA

Joe

I guess I'm not sure what the whole tizzy is about. :s0092:
You and me too.

At times I wonder if I'm on a firearms website or a sewing website with all of the biitching that goes on here..

I think it has something to do with: There's no such thing as a German-American, an Italian-American, a Mexican-American or an Irish-American etc. etc. etc., there's only American.

So for them to know this , they must be keeping background info and not destroying it.

How else would they know if it is a first time buyer??
There were lots of comments on this question - but the article said nothing about NICS or background check data.

It says:

"The vice president of marketing for gun store Brownells, Ryan Repp, told "Varney &Co." on Monday that based on their sales, 40% of new gun owners are women and African Americans are the "largest growing group" with an increase of 58% from the year before.

Repp stressed that based off his data, those who are buying guns this year "don't fit the caricature of what many would consider to be the average gun owner."

So maybe people are filling out warranty cards, but it's not referring to federal or state tracking info.

...I think it has something to do with: There's no such thing as a German-American, an Italian-American, a Mexican-American or an Irish-American etc. etc. etc., there's only American.
I think it has to do with time and the political situation. One of my great grandfathers emigrated from Germany to Missouri just before WWI. As did many others. There were many German-American festivals in that place and time. My great granddad, an immigrant, undoubtedly thought of himself as German-American, as signified blatantly by the fact that he gave all his children German names such as Johann, Heinrich, Wilhelm, etc. Then WWI happened. There was a wave of hatred towards German immigrants and their first generation German-American offspring, some of whom were attacked on the street for no reason. The German-American festivals celebrating German food and culture vanished. My granddad and all his siblings Americanized their names and became John, Henry, William, etc. And joined the Army. And never called themselves German-American again.

On the other hand, my Scottish Highland ancestors, who came to Virginia well before the Revolution, gave rise to descendants many of whom participate in Scottish Highland Festivals/Games to this day. My mother used to attend these. (Pipe and Drum marching bands. Sheep herding by Scottish Border Collies, Many games and peculiar traditional contests of strength. Most in full regalia. For men, as a satirical version of Scotland the Brave says: "Land of the kilt and sporan, underneath thar's nothin' waarn. How I wish the wind was warm. Scotland the brave. I must admit it's mighty gruesome walkin' aboot with a frozen twosome. There're all we've got. We mustn't lose 'em. Scotland the brave.") And me and my siblings were all added to the membership of our clan in America and know the history and traditions of our clan back in Scotland. We don't think of ourselves as Scottish-Americans any more. Its likely the first generation or two of our family in America did. But we are still proud of our Scottish Highland heritage. However, America never went to war with the Scottish Highlands.

Last Edited:
The discrimination against the German-American community in WWI (1917-1918 for USA involvement) is unknown history to most. It was intense; nobody changes their family name on a whim. Violence was a thing, including a lynching. Culturally they were 'erased', including prohibitions on teaching the German language in schools. Economically it was terrible as well; lost jobs, refusals to hire, boycotting of businesses. Anti German sentiment lasted a number of years.

In 1920 the community was hit with another blow. Prohibition closed pretty much all 1,300 breweries in the US. The majority were German-American businesses (German immigrants had pretty much started the brewing industry in the 1800s). When prohibition ended there were only 31 breweries in the entire country (they did "near beer" and non-alcohol products).

This is one thing that distresses me about politics today. EVERYONE can find history where their ancestors were treated like bubblegum. I believe in knowing history; it should never be denied. I do not believe in using history as a grudge. I'll go so far as to say that doing so is an evil thing. Today is not determined by history; those alive today choose what today will be.

The issue is the woke crowd wants to rewrite history to what is considered palatable by them today. Problem is one cannot judge history through the lens one views the world today, they are two different points in time, two different sets of values, two different sets of morals…

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

The discrimination against the German-American community in WWI (1917-1918 for USA involvement) is unknown history to most. It was intense; nobody changes their family name on a whim. Violence was a thing, including a lynching. Culturally they were 'erased', including prohibitions on teaching the German language in schools. Economically it was terrible as well; lost jobs, refusals to hire, boycotting of businesses. Anti German sentiment lasted a number of years.

In 1920 the community was hit with another blow. Prohibition closed pretty much all 1,300 breweries in the US. The majority were German-American businesses (German immigrants had pretty much started the brewing industry in the 1800s). When prohibition ended there were only 31 breweries in the entire country (they did "near beer" and non-alcohol products).

This is one thing that distresses me about politics today. EVERYONE can find history where their ancestors were treated like bubblegum. I believe in knowing history; it should never be denied. I do not believe in using history as a grudge. I'll go so far as to say that doing so is an evil thing. Today is not determined by history; those alive today choose what today will be.
Right. The German-American community before the WWI was the strongest ethnic group in US with tremendous ethnic pride, much focused on the language. There were German language schools, churches, newspapers, sections in nearly every city or town of any size. Huge annual festivals celebrating the culture. This made it easier for people to immigrate from Germany. At the same time, except for the most recent migrants, German-Americans were also thoroughly integrated into American society and were economically successful. Too integrated and numerous for it to be practical to inter them all, though they were watched and some were.

During WWI all German language schools, churches, and newspapers were banned. German-Americans quit speaking German in public to avoid being attacked. My granddad and siblings all Americanized their distinctive first and middle names. They were so secretive and ashamed of those names they never told their own children. So my dad never knew the real first and middle names of his father or any of his several aunts and uncles, in spite of family reunions. My mother was never able to discover any of them. I only discovered the real names much later after the internet happened and I was able to establish contact with more distant lineages. I found out about the elimination of German culture in America during WWI about a decade or two ago when there started to be books and scholarly historical work about it.

Actually, German-Americans were apparently one of the least discriminated against ethnic groups up until WWI. Most who immigrated in any numbers were hated and treated like crap. They were often desperately fleeing horrible conditions in Europe and would work for less in US, so harmed the labor market for others. So many Irish fled during/after the potato famine that Irish immigrants were especially numerous. Only to be greeted by signs everywhere in America saying "No Irish or dogs allowed."

Lit major.
Probable thought in his head "not our stereotypical customer." Then thinks ... hmmm, maybe I shouldn't use the word stereotype ... let's check the thesaurus.

Doesn't bother to think that a caricature is an exaggerated image.
I think that was the point. Mainstream Media makes a caricature of gun owners, Brownells' data shows that its not real.

Also WTF does race, sexuality, gender, bio-sex bubbleguming about wokeness have to do with the article?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews