JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you manage two long guns? Seems pretty cumbersome to me. As long as I have a rifle I am good with my sidearm being a g20. Everybody will find their own comfort zone I suppose but after trying several different combos this is mine.
I keep the rifle on my back, and carry the AK when moving through dense woods or gravel roads. After I reach my desired camp position, I use my 300 win mag to make the shot after locating bear.

10mm is an awesome cartridge, especially when used in a semi-auto. Decent power with full loads (situation specific), "high" capacity and much faster follow up shots. That is an advantage that seems to have been accepted by most Alaskans from everything that I have heard/read. Sales of G20's appear to be off the charts. The recent offerings from other companies also seem to bear that out. When I lived in the Idaho panhandle that was my preference. Combine a polymer semi auto with a chest rig and your doin good. As a backup.

If you have a rifle then thats the way to go.

For hiking in Dangerous Game Country, I'll carry my POF Revolution Pistol (308).

That was the part that got me too. Why leave rifles behind? :confused:
I mean you have to know you are in a part of the country that is well known to have the large Browns, so pack a pistol and leave the rifles. :confused:
The video wouldn't have been as entertaining if they killed the Bear with a rifle.

I don't understand people and their desire to fight bears with pistols here in the US. It's plain stupid. You don't see professional hunters in Africa recommending a pistol to stop a buffalo, lion, elephant, or anything that will kill you. No, they use rifles that penetrate. But not here in America where we seem to try and use the smallest thing possible for everything.
The "stupid Americans" rant was completely unnecessary. Guns dot net has an interesting study on handgun bear defense, with about 180 verified examples, that you should probably read. If you still really think the rest of the world is so much smarter, look at what the Sirius Sled Patrol in Greenland issues for defense against predatory polar bears, the Glock 20.

The "stupid Americans" rant was completely unnecessary. Guns dot net has an interesting study on handgun bear defense, with about 180 verified examples, that you should probably read. If you still really think the rest of the world is so much smarter, look at what the Sirius Sled Patrol in Greenland issues for defense against predatory polar bears, the Glock 20.
Thanks for posting that sled patrol info. I'm gonna check that out. I'm looking at 10mm pistols more for fun but wanna see what they can do.

Check out this Glock 40 10mm with usw chassis. Would make a great bear blaster that you can holster or keep in a big pocket (9mm version fits in my fleece inside pocket).

I can remember what all I've posted here since it's been aa while.....that being said I've stopped alot of black bears with my pistols over the years. 460sw and 10mm both go to grizzly country with me

The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Among the equipment used by the Sirius Dog Sled Patrol is the M1917 Enfield bolt-action rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield, known in Danish service as the Gevær M/53 (17), and the Glock 20 pistol chambered in 10mm Auto.[16][17][18]

The Sirius Dog Sled Patrol uses the standard .30-06 Springfield 163–168-grain (10.56–10.89 g) M2 armor-piercing military rifle round (normally intended for use against lightly armored vehicles, protective shelters, and personnel, and can be identified by its black bullet tip[19][20]) and also civilian hollow-point rounds. The patrolmen feel that the M2 armor-piercing military round is best against aggressive polar bears at long range, but that the hollow-point rounds are better against an enraged musk ox.

I don't think many gun owners, including those who carry pistols for bear defense, are interested in "fighting bears".

I think it is more about having something on your person to defend yourself when a rifle isn't convenient.

For that matter, most any person would usually prefer a rifle or shotgun to "fight" anything or anyone that would attack them, in most scenarios, but long guns are not always convenient or something that one can carry in every situation and a handgun is better than nothing.

I don't think many gun owners, including those who carry pistols for bear defense, are interested in "fighting bears".

I think it is more about having something on your person to defend yourself when a rifle isn't convenient.

For that matter, most any person would usually prefer a rifle or shotgun to "fight" anything or anyone that would attack them, in most scenarios, but long guns are not always convenient or something that one can carry in every situation and a handgun is better than nothing.
If I know I'm going into a dangerous situation with a lion or bear my go to is my 22-250, 45-70 or 12ga with #4 buck and my 629sw on my chest. Being complacent when dealing with dangerous or trapped animals is when you can get yourself hurt. Im always prepared for any situation

If I know I'm going into a dangerous situation with a lion or bear my go to is my 22-250, 45-70 or 12ga with #4 buck and my 629sw on my chest. Being complacent when dealing with dangerous or trapped animals is when you can get yourself hurt. Im always prepared for any situation
The operative word there is "know" vs. think/believe/suspect/might be.

I have bears crossing my property from time to time, cougars (mountain lions) too. But I rarely carry any kind of gun.

The operative word there is "know" vs. think/believe/suspect/might be.

I have bears crossing my property from time to time, cougars (mountain lions) too. But I rarely carry any kind of gun.
Ya your letting them do there business and they let you do yours....my situation is different, I'm seeking these problems animals out. So I definitely know what I'm getting myself into.....just like a cop running towards gunfire(well a good cop) while the citizens run from it. Chances are you'll never have a problem with the animals around your place if you take the proper precautions

isxoy.jpg

That's one reason why I bought a couple 10mm being a G40 10mm and long slide 1911 as well as a 44mag.

Seems like I should be packing the AK if I'm going up north though...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top