JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some may know I am a long long time fan of the SKS, but that makes me prejudice so going to gives some facts of what you may or may not know.

The SKS is prone to slam fire.
False, The SKS has a heavy degree of cosmoline packed so thick at times its well into the bolt and the majority of SKS owners clean and use them, but do not realize they are one of the few firearms that were packed to last several hundred years and be rust free so removal is part of the process.

Its safe to use extended SKS Magazines also know as duckbills on the SKS.
False, the SKS was not designed to use ( excluding D & M ) extended therefore it has features that can make it unsafe without a bolt modification. The firearm in stock position can make clearing a jam safely a major issue. Leading to possibly out of battery discharge.

The SKS is not good for hunting.
False, in the south the SKS is the number one choice for Hug hunting due to its price and durability, and caliber. It also makes a pretty good brush gun for deer.

The SKS, is not as good as a AK-47,
True and False, :pthe reality is a real AK-47 is very reliable, higher capacity however the SKS is more accurate and about half or a 1/3 of a AK-47

I posted this because every once in a awhile it comes up the the myths, I have never had any clean SKS slam fire. Never had a dirty one either. A revolver, and a AR can also fail if not kept clean, but in the SKS's situation it needs to be deep cleaned before its first use. PS I have bought many SKS's from people that said it was slam firing only to take it to the shop clean her up and dissemble the bolt and never had any issues

i liked my sks when i had it. problem is i never shot it. i think i would have liked it/shot it more if it wasnt all bubba'd out. tapco stock, duckbill mags...just was a hassle. i got bit by the AR bug, traded my sks away for the remaining parts for my latest AR build. only gun ive ever gotten rid of other than one of my cz p07s which got replaced with another p07 tactical which i traded it for.

Hug hunting

People down south are very friendly, you probably can find lots of Hugs.

BTW... my SIL has two SKS rifles... he loves them! Let me shoot one and I liked it a lot. Crap, I had a chance to buy one at a yard sale 20yrs ago for $100 and passed on it. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Something to add:

An unmodified SKS if dropped CAN discharge.

The modification is simple and cheap. You need to order a replacement firing pin with a spring to keep the firing pin in place if it drops or falls while loaded.

My SKS's I've owned have been super reliable and accurate in stock configuration.

I only have the one right now.

"i liked my sks when i had it. problem is i never shot it. i think i would have liked it/shot it more if it wasnt all bubba'd out. tapco stock, duckbill mags.."
I recall a gent who showed up at the Marysville Rifle club Hunter sight-in with an SKS with all the tacti-kewl stuff (all that ^ + a scope mounted on the rear sight). He spent all afternoon, used up all his ammo, and still left without having sighted the rifle.
OTOH when I sighted in a stock SKS many moons ago it took about 15 rds with the sight tool and voila!

The SKS is prone to slam fire.
The issue is thinking this is specific to the SKS. Any free floating pin can slamfire, when dirty. Nonetheless, outside of soft primers its user error anyways.
The SKS is not good for hunting.
False, in the south the SKS is the number one choice for Hug hunting due to its price and durability, and caliber. It also makes a pretty good brush gun for deer.
Any 7.62x39 is popular down here, better if its short.
The SKS, is not as good as a AK-47,
True and False, :pthe reality is a real AK-47 is very reliable, higher capacity however the SKS is more accurate and about half or a 1/3 of a AK-47
The difference in accuracy overall is slight. But it depends. If a person is looking to get an SKS, then modify it with some weird stock, extended mags, etc, then the AK is much better in the long run. Keeping things stock? Budget and what you want. That aside, prices have changed. :(

I want some pretty rare SKSes, and the Yugo again, but outside of that meh.

Want another SKS myth? People would modify captured SKSes to be full auto. :rolleyes:

Hug hunting is the best. I'd use an SKS for that.

There is a spike bayonet joke in there somewhere.

Just can't bring myself to pay $500-600 for one when there use to be a 55 gallon barrel of them in the gun shop for $89@ :(

I remember those days of the $89 SKS. Had one back in the 90s but dumped it along the way. Fun in it's own way though.

SKS that accepts standard AK mags...mm hmm boy!

Those were ever so neat-o.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top