JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I owned an SKS 10+ years ago as I liked the cheap price and simplicity. For me, I had a real hard time using the sights and did not want to install aftermarket sights. Sold it to buy AR parts for my first build. I am extremely happy with the AR as I am very accurate with it and like the flat shooting cartridge.
I can't believe an SKS now costs more than entry level but capable ARs.

While the SKS is definitely one fine rifle, I am amazed in the span of around 10 years it went from aroun 199.00 to 499.00 IN stores and private around 325.00 up. While they are fine rifles as you mention AR's are the same price. Sportmans Warehouse just had a 399.00 sale for a M&P Part II AR-15, Floors me people want more for a SKS.
The SKS is a great rifle and the round is a force to be reckoned with under 100yards, it makes one hell of a hog rifle.
And as number dwindle prices keep going up. Its not that the rifle is worth it, but the drying up market is dictating the cost. As in Canada these rifles are dirt cheap, and you can get a untouched Russian SKS around 250.00. Oddly there though Nornicos are more rare.

And as number dwindle prices keep going up. Its not that the rifle is worth it, but the drying up market is dictating the cost. As in Canada these rifles are dirt cheap, and you can get a untouched Russian SKS around 250.00. Oddly there though Nornicos are more rare.
Blame the continuing ban of Russian and Chinese "military" rifles ("non sporting)... the recent importation of heavily used, abused SKS from central Europe was a welcome addition, though many of these were in terrible condition... I think most of them were in fact actual Albanian and maybe a few Yugoslav SKS? There was a huge discussion of thesr on the SKS forum;
After the 2012? panic selling of SKS which brought real high prices for Norincos and Izhevsk and Tula SKS... I think I sold my Izhevsk SKS w ammo and clips for $450 in 2009 or so... after having paid $250 plus ammo... before 2008 :rolleyes:
People want wood and steel and are willing to pay more for a wood and steel semiauto rifle or carbine

Blame the continuing ban of Russian and Chinese "military" rifles ("non sporting)... the recent importation of heavily used, abused SKS from central Europe was a welcome addition, though many of these were in terrible condition... I think most of them were in fact actual Albanian and maybe a few Yugoslav SKS? There was a huge discussion of thesr on the SKS forum;
After the 2012? panic selling of SKS which brought real high prices for Norincos and Izhevsk and Tula SKS... I think I sold my Izhevsk SKS w ammo and clips for $450 in 2009 or so... after having paid $250 plus ammo... before 2008 :rolleyes:
People want wood and steel and are willing to pay more for a wood and steel semiauto rifle or carbine

I think maybe some day this might be the M1 Garands, of the modern era. I love these rifles have more parts then rifles LOL

I have never had a problem with the Tapco removable magazines in my SKS. YMMV.
I also question if people claiming them to be inaccurate ever shot off a steady rest to actually see. When my eyes were sharper 30 years ago, my Chinese SKS would group 5 shots into an inch @ 112 yards with 3 dollar a box Norinco steel case ammo.

Last Edited:
I have never had a problem with the Tapco removable magazines in my SKS. YMMV.

Its not a problem as much as a safety issue, as the bolt does not allow the mag to be dropped bolt closed.
They should function, but the issue is safety...as well as fit. As many of the mags are very tight as well on Yugos.
Been several reported accidents over the years and one fatality from the the use of detachable mags. However
the Bolt mod done correctly does fix that safety issue," if done correctly."

had chance to shoot one while back, fit me pretty well and fun rifle to shoot. if i can buy stock config with good price, i wouldn't mind having one. but nowaypaying over $300

Its not a problem as much as a safety issue, as the bolt does not allow the mag to be dropped bolt closed.
They should function, but the issue is safety...as well as fit. As many of the mags are very tight as well on Yugos.
Been several reported accidents over the years and one fatality from the the use of detachable mags. However
the Bolt mod done correctly does fix that safety issue," if done correctly."
If I wanted an SKS with detachable mags I'd do what the Russians did and get an AK.

If I wanted an SKS with detachable mags I'd do what the Russians did and get an AK.

Yep, at the prices you can get a American made AK for near the going rate of a SKS.
Personally, I hate modding these unless it was just beat to hell to begin with and nothing matched maybe.
The SKS is fine as it sits. Not sure why people mods them, and they are doing so at a crazy rate making the
non-molested ones rise in price.

Yep, at the prices you can get a American made AK for near the going rate of a SKS.
Personally, I hate modding these unless it was just beat to hell to begin with and nothing matched maybe.
The SKS is fine as it sits. Not sure why people mods them, and they are doing so at a crazy rate making the
non-molested ones rise in price.
American made AK is no go.

Because an SKS in made of wood and steel. Not plastic and aluminum.

More steel parts on an AR-15 than might be realized.

For a lot of AR-15's out there you can see barrels, bolts, front sight blocks, gas tubes, bolt carriers, gas keys, firing pins, springs, pins, muzzle devices, dust covers, sights, trigger guards, sling swivels, butt plates are parts I can think of.

The reason they are cheap is supply and scales of economy with US domestic manufacturing capacity for .gov and civilians.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top