JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the main issue of sks firing when dropped is the safety is for the "trigger only" not the hammer, the hammer's cam jumps off the sear when dropped or jarred sufficiently and allows the hammer to fall....a firing pin spring wont stop that ......so be careful

oh and my bubba is dead accurate and doesnt miss fire on duckbill mags or the 75rnd drum magazine .... even when when a Popsicle stick strangely founds its way into my trigger group causing it to blow full auto emptying the drum ;)

ofcourse back when the korean drums hit the market....Im the guy that dispelled the myth sks after market mags dont work and I made the video on youtube that showed everyone that the drum mags need to be custom fit to each specific gun, with so many armories manufacturing the sks over the years and in different countries there is NO one size fits all mag....... the tolerances between the armories manufacturing are different, most after market mags for the sks should be custom fit for best performance.
Centerfire Systems.com gave me 5 free drum mags for figuring out the problem and making the "how to fix at home video" because it stopped their endless returns.:D
180000 views of this video to date of satisfied Hi-Capacity prepper/shooters...I included preppers because there is a surge in views and likes I receive every terrorist attack or mass shooting since the San Bernardino massacre

Last Edited:
087.jpg now a Resident of Arizona

Ah, the ubiquitous SKS. If I still had every SKS I've ever owned, I'd have a lot of SKS's: numerous Chinese, several Yugoslavian, a Russian, and an NVA.

Back in the day when I was young and poor (I'm older now), I thought it was fun to "tacticool" my SKS (before "tacticool" was a word). I had several duckbill magazines. I got ripped off on my first duckbill mag. It was the late '80s and I'd heard of SKS's that would take AK mags. I saw this "SKS banana clip" at a gun show, and thought it was a conversion that would allow an SKS to take AK mags. The guy saw the look in my eyes and said "Fifty bucks!" I realized I'd been taken when I got home and looked at it closely.

I still have my old Sino-Soviet model. It has it's original stock and magazine, no tacticool for me. I like it as is.

Last Edited:
The issue is thinking this is specific to the SKS. Any free floating pin can slamfire, when dirty. Nonetheless, outside of soft primers its user error anyways.

Any 7.62x39 is popular down here, better if its short.

The difference in accuracy overall is slight. But it depends. If a person is looking to get an SKS, then modify it with some weird stock, extended mags, etc, then the AK is much better in the long run. Keeping things stock? Budget and what you want. That aside, prices have changed. :(

I want some pretty rare SKSes, and the Yugo again, but outside of that meh.

Want another SKS myth? People would modify captured SKSes to be full auto. :rolleyes:
I dont know what you mean by captured, but it is easy to go full auto with a SKS. Not a myth at all.

I have owned a bunch , and every one needed a good cleaning, especially the firing pin channel. I built a hunting SKS and put a Kivaari trigger in it, a Williams firesight front and rear peep. Killed a 100 lb sow with it.

If they are not cleaned, they can be a problem.

D

I bought an SKS on a whim in the 90's for the $89 price - and shortly after accepted the fact it was nothing more than a crude, roughly built rifle with zero ergonomics, a 20 lb trigger and a stock that looked like it was whittled with a pocketknife and the metal finished in something that resembled parkerizing.
It was clearly NOT what I was interested in and I traded it off not long after.
But hey if you like 'em and they are your 'thing' then more power to ya!

I bought an SKS on a whim in the 90's for the $89 price - and shortly after accepted the fact it was nothing more than a crude, roughly built rifle with zero ergonomics, a 20 lb trigger and a stock that looked like it was whittled with a pocketknife and the metal finished in something that resembled parkerizing.
It was clearly NOT what I was interested in and I traded it off not long after.
But hey if you like 'em and they are your 'thing' then more power to ya!
Yeah, but...how many of your fancy cowboy guns have grenade launchers on them? ;)

I have had two - not a fan. I think that there are more accurate rifles and better rounds. With the going price on sks's I suspect I will never own another. More for you guys.

I owned an SKS 10+ years ago as I liked the cheap price and simplicity. For me, I had a real hard time using the sights and did not want to install aftermarket sights. Sold it to buy AR parts for my first build. I am extremely happy with the AR as I am very accurate with it and like the flat shooting cartridge.

I can't believe an SKS now costs more than entry level but capable ARs.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top