JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just looking for some advice i've been hunting the same area Near Diamond Lake for elk for about 10 yrs (been pretty slow as of late). i'm going to start scoutin next week and if i don't find the sign i'm looking for i was wondering what other areas should i look into ? thanks for any input and or advice in advance .... Don

Elk the large oversized locusts! Absolutely nasty creatures, eat everything in sight!

Think you can hit one of these! Pleeeeeez!

elk3.jpg

Got 3 of them up here, and they never tend to wander far.

Am wondering if Round-Up would work on Elk? :D

As you can see from the pic, I'm pretty close and they aren't concerned much.

Good gawd.. taking pictures at the feeding station doesnt count man:s0131:... thats just ridicoulous. :( Taking pictures at Northwest Trek doesnt count :eek:... and taking pictures at the zoo doesnt count either:s0155:....

Try finding a herd like that in an area that they can be hunted and just stand there with no concerns to you.. and you will have a new best hunting friend!!:s0155::D

Am on an 800+ dairy farm, that's no feed station...well, I guess it could be called that, since they eat the dairy feed! They can be hunted where the pic was taken!

We got 4 damage permits earlier this year and dropped 2 in march and the other 2 in April.

So pleeeez come one come all and thin the heard. Getting tired of fixing fence and them eating the expensive feed!

Elk the large oversized locusts! Absolutely nasty creatures, eat everything in sight!

Think you can hit one of these! Pleeeeeez!

elk3.jpg

depends on where in WA ya are and when season starts, and if you have to draw tags in your area .. .. i'm IN southern OR .. but may be able to make it up there for the privlage of takin one of those lol :s0155: ...Don

We are not in a "draw" area, but the farm is in the "Master Hunter" program area, which means once you attain the certification of that program, you can hunt past the regular season. So your chances of getting one are better.

But one can always hunt them during the regular season, just off the valley floor in the surrounding hills. Around Thanksgiving tends to be the best time, as the snow is driving them down.

The are up on Mt Adams as of now, and don't come down til around Thanksgiving, but it all depends on the weather...meaning snowfall. We average 3-5 feet of snow here, on the ground at one time...so that's the factor that dictates when they are around.

But in late winter they tend to want to find easy food, and in spring, they tend to linger around and eat up everything before they leave.

Soooooooo, if anyone gets the Master cert., they are welcome to hunt the farm. I've not looked into the program, so am not sure how it works. I do know that if you obtain the cert., you can hunt well into Feb, March or longer, by specifying the time you want to hunt.

How all that works, I don't know...check out the Wa State Fish and Wildlife web site.

The valley floor was restricted to this type of thing after the elk were forced down a few years ago by heavy snow, and the hunters ran amok thru everyone's property to get at them. The property owners got upset, and rightfully so...and the restrictions were put in place.

We have helped a few hunters get elk in the past years by allowing them access thru our gates etc., which gets them close to the elk.

In allowing the master cert restrictions, property owners must allow hunters on their property to hunt them...so its give and take on both sides.

I don't promise anything, but anyone is welcome to get the cert and hunt the land.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews