JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

So I bought a German Shorthaired pointer and I try and fulfill her with running, dog parks, adventures, but she is so driven to hunt. It's clear she's not stimulated by normal dog stuff like frisbees and balls. I've had her for 6 months and she is started, and indifferent to loud noises. I think I need to take up hunting. I feel like hunting is best learned from others, and would like some advice on some places to visit for some pheasant or? I know just because hunting is in her blood doesn't mean she will be a rockstar hunter right away, but I want to take her to eastern WA a few times and see if the activity will fulfill her. Also, I don't have a shotgun, lol. Any recommendations on a gun? Preliminary research shows that a 12 gauge 28" seems to be the most versatile. Looking at a "better" gun, vs an entry or top of the line. Assuming this will cost around $700? I don't know if shotguns have also exploded (excuse the pun) in price with all the societal antics we are seeing.

Do you want PUMP, O/U, S/S, or an Auto ?

I own Remington 870 Pumps and a CZ Canvasback O/U and both are very good at either Waterfowl or upland game.

Some Shorthairs are higher energy than others, and there is quite a variety of "prey" drive among them.

If you want a well controlled versatile pointing dog (land and water), see if the book "Gun Dog" is still in print.

IMO Shorthairs should be started VERY early. Mine was winning field trial trophies in Puppy Division at 7 months.

Lots and lots and lots of time spent in PROPER training... using the wrong techniques is bad, very bad.

grouse hunting; must get one to start and give the dog an idea what you are after. It will take it from there .20ga. is enough gun and lighter to carry. s-x-s maybe a Miroku if you can find a used one. Note to us what the price range might be?
A barn with easy pigeons is nice. My GSH/English Setter wanted nothing to do with the dead birds, he mght pick it up to make sure it was dead, then he went back to hunting.
Something early taught him if there was one bird there was always more, he return to the spot and hunt "the more birds". Spend time with the dog in the woods with the gun he'll learn and. mine loved to hunt, if I picked up the gun he went into a slow pointing walk ready to get at it. Good Luck

It is too bad that you are up in Seattle. In Portland there is a training school specifically for German Shorthairs in Swan Island (or at least used to be). I would find a training facility for you and the dog so you can both learn at the same pace. Good luck, they are wonderful dogs.

Some Shorthairs are higher energy than others, and there is quite a variety of "prey" drive among them.

If you want a well controlled versatile pointing dog (land and water), see if the book "Gun Dog" is still in print.

IMO Shorthairs should be started VERY early. Mine was winning field trial trophies in Puppy Division at 7 months.

Lots and lots and lots of time spent in PROPER training... using the wrong techniques is bad, very bad.
I'll look at the library catalog for it. She didn't have a strong prey drive early. She would just watch bunnies but not really care, but she would point and run at birds. Her dad was a proven hunter though.

grouse hunting; must get one to start and give the dog an idea what you are after. It will take it from there .20ga. is enough gun and lighter to carry. s-x-s maybe a Miroku if you can find a used one. Note to us what the price range might be?
A barn with easy pigeons is nice. My GSH/English Setter wanted nothing to do with the dead birds, he mght pick it up to make sure it was dead, then he went back to hunting.
Something early taught him if there was one bird there was always more, he return to the spot and hunt "the more birds". Spend time with the dog in the woods with the gun he'll learn and. mine loved to hunt, if I picked up the gun he went into a slow pointing walk ready to get at it. Good Luck
I'm looking to spend between $600-$1,000. WOuld like for it to be pretty versatile in terms of hunting different game with the same gun,.

I don't really have a preference. I've shot all but the auto. I think the s/s was a favorite.

At one time I owned an SKB sxs 20ga for upland bird hunting. It was a great gun that swung well. Problem was, I suck with a side by side double. I much prefer an over/under for it's fast pointing ability and I like the narrower sight rail/plane. To each his own. You really can't beat a good double for upland bird. My next choice would be an autoloader... IMO a pump is too slow on follow up shots for a novice hunter.

I'll look at the library catalog for it. She didn't have a strong prey drive early. She would just watch bunnies but not really care, but she would point and run at birds. Her dad was a proven hunter though.

Pointers need to be "birdy" and they need to learn to point. Yours not being interested in bunnies is perfect!!! ... They are "bird" dogs, not bunny dogs like a Beagle. So when out in the woods hunting birds, you REALLY don't want them to scent or see and then trail and point on a bunny. It's a waste of time and sometimes it can be hard to get them off a point on a bunny. Don't let them get started on that.

Most pointing dog owners start their dogs with a bird wing, preferably pheasant because they have strong scent but a pigeon wing will work, on some fishing line from the end of a fishing pole or similar long rod. About 4-6 feet of line, maybe a bit more.... Then you fly the line slightly above the ground to get the dog interested and following it. At some point, drag the wing on the ground. The dog should be very interested. Then stop moving it and let it lay, maybe twitch it... if the dog has strong pointing instinct, it will eventually go on point. The training of what to do on point starts there... the dog should not move until you give a release command and may trail the wing if then moved, but never should break point and chase. Read a book or get training!!!!

I'm looking to spend between $600-$1,000. WOuld like for it to be pretty versatile in terms of hunting different game with the same gun,.

I used 20ga for all upland game except pheasant and chuckar, because those birds are tough... I used 12ga for them. A 12ga is also the preferred gun for waterfowl. Shorthairs, being a VERSATILE hunting breed, will fetch from water, but "most" don't really like water enough to be fab waterfowl retrievers. Some may be diff tho.

There should be many good shotguns available in your price range. But a bit more, $1500-$1699, would get you into a GREAT shotgun of Winchester, Benelli, Browning, etc. If wanting a sxs, there are fewer available but enough. Make sure you get a modern sxs with high grade steel barrels that will withstand steel shot, interchangable chokes, sight rail/rib, ejectors, and a safety on the tang instead of behind the trigger. Miroku/Charles Daly, SKB/Ithaca, Stoeger, Savage are good sxs, Side by Side (SXS) Shotguns for Sale – Buy a SxS Shotgun Online at GunBroker.com

Last Edited:
Lost my Shorthair last October...14 yrs, hunted him at least 600 days...know couple things about dog training. I don't have a dog now but you do. Send me a PM if you want to put your dog on some birds in E WA/OR. I'll loan you a shotgun. Pick a gauge and action type you want to try.

DSC01120.jpg

Maggie, our gunshy GSP pointing a frog in our backyard when she was about 3 YO (now 13).
Great dogs regardless of whether you hunt them or not.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Last Edited:
Lost my Shorthair last October...14 yrs, hunted him at least 600 days...know couple things about dog training. I don't have a dog now but you do. Send me a PM if you want to put your dog on some birds in E WA/OR. I'll loan you a shotgun. Pick a gauge and action type you want to try.

Oh my word! I'm sorry you lost a great hunting partner!!!!!

That is a great offer. I wish I could partake myself... I still know where to go, but I'm not physically able anymore. Bless you for such a kind offer to the OP!!!!

At one time I owned an SKB sxs 20ga for upland bird hunting. It was a great gun that swung well. Problem was, I suck with a side by side double. I much prefer an over/under for it's fast pointing ability and I like the narrower sight rail/plane. To each his own. You really can't beat a good double for upland bird. My next choice would be an autoloader... IMO a pump is too slow on follow up shots for a novice hunter.

Pointers need to be "birdy" and they need to learn to point. Yours not being interested in bunnies is perfect!!! ... They are "bird" dogs, not bunny dogs like a Beagle. So when out in the woods hunting birds, you REALLY don't want them to scent or see and then trail and point on a bunny. It's a waste of time and sometimes it can be hard to get them off a point on a bunny. Don't let them get started on that.

Most pointing dog owners start their dogs with a bird wing, preferably pheasant because they have strong scent but a pigeon wing will work, on some fishing line from the end of a fishing pole or similar long rod. About 4-6 feet of line, maybe a bit more.... Then you fly the line slightly above the ground to get the dog interested and following it. At some point, drag the wing on the ground. The dog should be very interested. Then stop moving it and let it lay, maybe twitch it... if the dog has strong pointing instinct, it will eventually go on point. The training of what to do on point starts there... the dog should not move until you give a release command and may trail the wing if then moved, but never should break point and chase. Read a book or get training!!!!

I used 20ga for all upland game except pheasant and chuckar, because those birds are tough... I used 12ga for them. A 12ga is also the preferred gun for waterfowl. Shorthairs, being a VERSATILE hunting breed, will fetch from water, but "most" don't really like water enough to be fab waterfowl retrievers. Some may be diff tho.

There should be many good shotguns available in your price range. But a bit more, $1500-$1699, would get you into a GREAT shotgun of Winchester, Benelli, Browning, etc. If wanting a sxs, there are fewer available but enough. Make sure you get a modern sxs with high grade steel barrels that will withstand steel shot, interchangable chokes, sight rail/rib, ejectors, and a safety on the tang instead of behind the trigger. Miroku/Charles Daly, SKB/Ithaca, Stoeger, Savage are good sxs, Side by Side (SXS) Shotguns for Sale – Buy a SxS Shotgun Online at GunBroker.com
I liked the s/s for clay, but I can totally see what you mean by an over under being nice. You really know your stuff! I've seen the wing trick with the fishing pole, now to find a bird, lol. I think the reality is I will maybe need to get 2 guns. I sense I will I really enjoy this activity.

Saw "bought a gun dog", thought, "Hey, I've got a deer rifle, let's look a gun dog!" Obviously got it wrong. My nephew has a German Shorthair, amazing dog! Of course it is well trained and was from a puppy.

When I read your post the first thing I thought of was the SKB 20 ga too. Great gun, not horribly overpriced (yet), not too much recoil. Getting old and slowing down, so a 20 ga would be nice and a lightweight gun would be better. My all time favorite shotgun is the Ithaca 51 auto. While discontinued, they are a fantastic shotgun and I have owned/shot EVERYTHING! If you like a SxS and don't want a SKB, look at some of the older Ithaca models, got several of them in 12 ga, the smaller gauges are pretty pricey even for ratty ones. The problem is so may of the SxS seem to be duck guns, not carry guns.

See if you can find a Winchester M-24, SxS. Literally impossible to shoot loose. Olin was a HUGE trap shooter/duck hunter/all-round shotgunner (owned Winchester) and wanted something "reasonably priced" that would outshoot/outlast anything else on the market. Winchester bought all other SxS shotguns on the market and ran proof loads though them until they failed, the M-24 was still tight and in spec after (going on memory now, was written up in the old short-lived Winchester Collectors magazine, so might not be correct) 87 proof loads, none of the others lasted more than 30 some proof loads before blowing up/falling apart/not shootable. BEAUTIFUL gun and not too expensive yet. OK, the action is a little blocky and not streamlined like the "better" SxSs, but fairly light and well balanced.

Saw "bought a gun dog", thought, "Hey, I've got a deer rifle, let's look a gun dog!" Obviously got it wrong. My nephew has a German Shorthair, amazing dog! Of course it is well trained and was from a puppy.

When I read your post the first thing I thought of was the SKB 20 ga too. Great gun, not horribly overpriced (yet), not too much recoil. Getting old and slowing down, so a 20 ga would be nice and a lightweight gun would be better. My all time favorite shotgun is the Ithaca 51 auto. While discontinued, they are a fantastic shotgun and I have owned/shot EVERYTHING! If you like a SxS and don't want a SKB, look at some of the older Ithaca models, got several of them in 12 ga, the smaller gauges are pretty pricey even for ratty ones. The problem is so may of the SxS seem to be duck guns, not carry guns.

See if you can find a Winchester M-24, SxS. Literally impossible to shoot loose. Olin was a HUGE trap shooter/duck hunter/all-round shotgunner (owned Winchester) and wanted something "reasonably priced" that would outshoot/outlast anything else on the market. Winchester bought all other SxS shotguns on the market and ran proof loads though them until they failed, the M-24 was still tight and in spec after (going on memory now, was written up in the old short-lived Winchester Collectors magazine, so might not be correct) 87 proof loads, none of the others lasted more than 30 some proof loads before blowing up/falling apart/not shootable. BEAUTIFUL gun and not too expensive yet. OK, the action is a little blocky and not streamlined like the "better" SxSs, but fairly light and well balanced.
That us impressive!! I am not needing the sxs, but it's what I enjoyed shooting with Clay, but these were also $2k shotguns from a collectors stash, so anything he let me shoot was a dream. I am coming into this wholly foreign. Have a lot of research to do. All I know if that I don't usually go for bargain deals, I like to buy it right the first time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top