JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
17 years as a "Schwabie" I've got a feel for anything between 45ft/lbs and 150ft/lbs. with the truck stuff it was bye sound for the 350ft/lbs to 500ft/lbs. I was always less than 5% off verified with a calibrated torque wrench.
Sorry, not much help for what you need though. Lucky is a h*ll of a guy though, if you haven't been to his shop it's worth the trip!

As a degreed Professional Gunsmith I can advise you that you don't need torque specs. Just get it as tight as you can with a cheater bar and use Red Loctite.
And always remember the Prime Law of shade tree gunsmiths and mechanics: There is no substitute for brute force and ignorance.
You're welcome! :D

17 years as a "Schwabie" I've got a feel for anything between 45ft/lbs and 150ft/lbs. with the truck stuff it was bye sound for the 350ft/lbs to 500ft/lbs. I was always less than 5% off verified with a calibrated torque wrench.
Sorry, not much help for what you need though. Lucky is a h*ll of a guy though, if you haven't been to his shop it's worth the trip!

My Job in the Military was Calibrating Thousands of torque wrenches, The tolerance for wrenches was 4% between 10%-90% of the range of the wrench.

Good Shooting

Lindy

You can make a torque wrench if you have something like a fish scale.

For example, 60 inch-pounds is 60 lbs at a radius of one inch, or 30 lbs at a radius of two inches, or 20 lbs at a radius of 3 inches. Torque is nothing but force applied to a lever arm at a specified length, such that the length times the force applied equals the torque specification. So take your allen wrench, measure out 3 inches from the end (the end that goes into the screw), then make a mark. Apply your fish scale at that point, pulling it in a direction 90 degrees from the lever arm, and pull till you reach 20 lbs. That will give you 60 inch-pounds on that screw.

I have used this numerous times on cars also, when a standard torque wrench would not fit for example. It is very basic physics.

Nice wrench but connected 90 to a gun show AR wrench ?
Starts out with the M16/M4 Tech Manual comment
No actual demo
AK on the bench

Nah.
I had it muted anyway.
Don't think I missed anything.

Maybe he wanted to dispute this from the TM :
barrelviseblockmethod.jpg

Last Edited:
The spec is something like at least 35 and not more than 80 ft lbs, it doesn't have to be perfect, it's not a cylinder head with 15 different studs to tighten.

Btw I know the guy in the video is knowledgeable because he worked on "turban" engines :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top