JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
17 years as a "Schwabie" I've got a feel for anything between 45ft/lbs and 150ft/lbs. with the truck stuff it was bye sound for the 350ft/lbs to 500ft/lbs. I was always less than 5% off verified with a calibrated torque wrench.
Sorry, not much help for what you need though. Lucky is a h*ll of a guy though, if you haven't been to his shop it's worth the trip!

As a degreed Professional Gunsmith I can advise you that you don't need torque specs. Just get it as tight as you can with a cheater bar and use Red Loctite.
And always remember the Prime Law of shade tree gunsmiths and mechanics: There is no substitute for brute force and ignorance.
You're welcome! :D

17 years as a "Schwabie" I've got a feel for anything between 45ft/lbs and 150ft/lbs. with the truck stuff it was bye sound for the 350ft/lbs to 500ft/lbs. I was always less than 5% off verified with a calibrated torque wrench.
Sorry, not much help for what you need though. Lucky is a h*ll of a guy though, if you haven't been to his shop it's worth the trip!

My Job in the Military was Calibrating Thousands of torque wrenches, The tolerance for wrenches was 4% between 10%-90% of the range of the wrench.

Good Shooting

Lindy

You can make a torque wrench if you have something like a fish scale.

For example, 60 inch-pounds is 60 lbs at a radius of one inch, or 30 lbs at a radius of two inches, or 20 lbs at a radius of 3 inches. Torque is nothing but force applied to a lever arm at a specified length, such that the length times the force applied equals the torque specification. So take your allen wrench, measure out 3 inches from the end (the end that goes into the screw), then make a mark. Apply your fish scale at that point, pulling it in a direction 90 degrees from the lever arm, and pull till you reach 20 lbs. That will give you 60 inch-pounds on that screw.

I have used this numerous times on cars also, when a standard torque wrench would not fit for example. It is very basic physics.

Nice wrench but connected 90 to a gun show AR wrench ?
Starts out with the M16/M4 Tech Manual comment
No actual demo
AK on the bench

Nah.
I had it muted anyway.
Don't think I missed anything.

Maybe he wanted to dispute this from the TM :
barrelviseblockmethod.jpg

Last Edited:
The spec is something like at least 35 and not more than 80 ft lbs, it doesn't have to be perfect, it's not a cylinder head with 15 different studs to tighten.

Btw I know the guy in the video is knowledgeable because he worked on "turban" engines :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top