JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to Bass Pro here in Mesa AZ hoping to buy some boots. The service I received wavered from poor to none. it took forever for the sales guy to get boots in my size and then I could never find help again. I found a pair of Danner's made in Vietnam IIRC. They were comfortable, but were made of split leather that was not as thick as a match book cover and they just looked cheap. I finally got pissed and left. I ended up buying a pair of Ariat work boots that will be fine for hunting. They are made of nice soft leather and are very comfortable for $149. I know I should spend 3-400 bucks for boots, but refuse to.

I've picked up some very fine boots for around the $100 mark. But honestly, who shops at Bass Pro for shoes? You'd be better served in a more specialty-type shop. Glad you found what you wanted!
I have a $100 gift certificate at BP/Cabelas. Went to a boot store and bought the Ariats.

I went to Bass Pro here in Mesa AZ hoping to buy some boots. The service I received wavered from poor to none. it took forever for the sales guy to get boots in my size and then I could never find help again. I found a pair of Danner's made in Vietnam IIRC. They were comfortable, but were made of split leather that was not as thick as a match book cover and they just looked cheap. I finally got pissed and left. I ended up buying a pair of Ariat work boots that will be fine for hunting. They are made of nice soft leather and are very comfortable for $149. I know I should spend 3-400 bucks for boots, but refuse to.
If your buying Danner, only buy the ones with the Made in USA tag. The others fall apart way to fast.

Ariats are made in China.

That doesn't mean they're not good boots, I'm wearing a pair of Rimrocks I bought at Cabelas on sale for $79.00. I've been wearing them for 6/8 months and they still look brand new as far as wear on the heels and soles and are Goretex lined. Also made in China.

I used to buy the Sundowners made in Italy for roughly...depending on where you bought them for $160 to $200, but they too are now made in China for the same money, so for the cost the Rimrocks are a steal, plus they're much quieter when walking on tile/concrete or any other hard surface as in quiet as an Injun in the the woods...easier on the knee joints.

After a backpacking trip during which I ruined my feet due to waterlogged and broken down Hi-Tec EVA hiking boots from REI $39.00, I bought only Asolo boots from Italy $398 for my backpacking adventures (1980s)... I looked them up today... still made in Italy.

The VA has been providing by diabetic shoes from Dr. Comfort. I have a pair of walk around boots in soft leather, and a pair of heavy work boots in heavy leather. They both have padded lining that diabetics need, and room for my orthotic inserts. Most of their shoes go for about $150, I think.

Last Edited:
Joken;

If you're buying in AS your going to find lighter Weight Boots just because of the Weather is Warmer.

You need to be looking up here and I'm would be surprised if you don't find a great selection of good heavy Boots to choose from.

Good Luck in your Search!!! :):):)

I cannot wear normal shoes, and boots have to be top quality or im going to have issues!
Having been through a number of brands from all around the world, I have found a hand full that actually live up to the expectations. For every day wear Dr. Martains steel toe work boots are very comfy and seem to last a long time, and the quality is quite good. My current pair are going on three years now. For hard work, hiking, hunting, and other nasty conditions especially very cold, Salewa are the only boot i will wear, speciffically the M-2 Pro Vertical or the Pro Guide.( sadly discontinued) I haevn't had a chance to try the replacement for the M-2 yet, but i will at some point. I have two pairs of the Pro Verticals, and they last and last and last, so I may never need to replace them. For mud, water, snow, and other really abusive conditions, i have found Matterhornes are really the only serious boot that will last, a spendy boot for what they are, but there are no others that can take the abuse and be comfortable and warm!

Ariats are made in China.

That doesn't mean they're not good boots, I'm wearing a pair of Rimrocks I bought at Cabelas on sale for $79.00. I've been wearing them for 6/8 months and they still look brand new as far as wear on the heels and soles and are Goretex lined. Also made in China.

I used to buy the Sundowners made in Italy for roughly...depending on where you bought them for $160 to $200, but they too are now made in China for the same money, so for the cost the Rimrocks are a steal, plus they're much quieter when walking on tile/concrete or any other hard surface as in quiet as an Injun in the the woods...easier on the knee joints.

They are actually made in Viet Nam. Very nice supple leather and comfortable, but time will tell.

The backpacking/hiking community had boots sorted out long before the police, military, and work boot makers did. I always suggest people go into an REI and let their boot people fit you. They've got the knowledge and a decent selection so it's a good place to start.

And many of the backpacking companies make boots for the military at this point...Lowa, Salomon, etc. So if you want the military colors...or just straight black, you can get them. The only time I would personally go with a company like Danner, Red Wing, etc. is if I needed a steel toe.

And if you really have a problem finding boots that fit you, take a look at the Technica Forge. Technica is a big ski boot maker and they've taken their process of custom fit foot beds and brought it over to their hiking boot. It takes about 30 minutes and you may need to search/drive a little to find a place that sells them as not everyone has the equipment. But the fit is excellent.

After a backpacking trip during which I ruined my feet due to waterlogged and broken down Hi-Tec EVA hiking boots from REI $39.00, I bought only Asolo boots from Italy $398 for my backpacking adventures (1980s)... I looked them up today... still made in Italy.

The VA has been providing by diabetic shoes from Dr. Comfort. I have a pair of walk around boots in soft leather, and a pair of heavy work boots in heavy leather. They both have padded lining that diabetics need, and room for my orthotic inserts. Most of their shoes go for about $150, I think.

Asolo boots are made in different countries within Europe. My current pair were made in Romania.

Mine were made in Romania, and I go to Sierra Trading Post for the best deals on asolo.
https://www.sierra.com/asolo-hiking-boots~bs~1120~46/
Also Nick's, best boots I own, yes pricey but worth every penny.

My wife and I we both hike almost every weekend and both are very pleased with Columbia Newton Ridge Plus II.
They are MEGA comfortable and SUPER lightweight and VERY durable.
I highly recommend you to try them.
https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Newton-Ridge-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B00KWK8YXS?th=1&psc=1
9514acf508908d1a6f242b1cad420f5a.png
e110500174c050edd5a68dc478c9bb94.png

Last Edited:
I always end up with milsurp boots, but I want a pair of Doc Martins.
The boots I have that were from the Vietnam War are still holding up pretty good and I beat the crap out of them for several years... plus they made it through some of the war, how much of it I can't be certain of.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top