JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I got Sasquach feet or something, I can never find anything that fits. I do have a fine pair of Lowas though that are fantastic, except they are a tad narrow in the toe so my little piggies are a tad sore after a days wearing them, might need to be broken in more.o_O

And this, pardner, is one of the BIGGEST issues for a lot of folks who suffer foot squeeze our nothing.
Just about any footwear coverage/evaluation/advertising/promotion/offerings makes no mention of the availability of wider sizes. I feel a new thread coming on!

How many of my fellow listers have size E or better? 10.5" EEE here.

I moved this thread over from NW Hunting, because it's a serious issue for we folk with duck feet under any circumstances, though particularly if worn all day long while going all terrain in any weather situation. Got to admit to a genetic disposition.
My dad's side of the family have wide feet and big calves. I inherited the trait. My shoe size is 10.5" EEE. When just about all footwear offered comes only in D width, most info on what's the newest or greatest is moot cuz, as good as the footwear may be it just won't fit a wide foot.

Duck-footers can get by for the most part by buying the few offerings that are available in a W ("wide") size but is a size or three longer than what they actually need, , and thanks to those manufacturers for making at least that offering. But, if one is going to be tramping up and down rough terrain in possibly wet and cold conditions, a boot that is several sizes longer than actually fits does not work well. Your toes are in the wrong place, the boot is designed to flex in a different spot, you foot will more easily slide around because of the extra length, etc. In street/casual wear stuff this is not a big issue because of the limited conditions of use. Hunting boots are a different situation.

When I was in the Army, they had boots that fit, and now, shopping brands that build for the military is about the only source I have found that actually offers boots in my actual foot size, and even larger.
If you have PX access: <Shop Army & Air Force Exchange Service> is a good place to look, and there shouldn't be any issues with "straw" boot purchases, unless you need to stuff the toes with straw to make them fit. And these guys have occasional offerings in hyper-wide surplus boots.

So, anyone out there have other good leads on who has what that comes in sizes appropriate for the Bigfoot minority?

Not cheap and not sure how they'd do out in the woods, but I'm a 9.5 Wide and I love my 5.11 ATAC's... when they stay tied tight enough to give ankle support.
I'm afeared "Wide" does not hack it. "Wide" itself is ambiguous, not allowing for an intelligent decision
if ordering on line. Wide, in my failed experiences is about +/- equal to a single E in with, perhaps. This is why enlightened shoe vendors would the actual standardized shoe sizes. Oh well........
thanks anyhow.

I have wide feet and have had good luck with Keen and Merrell.
I have a pair of Merrell slip on type of shoes. They wore pretty well, but as usual I had to get them a couple of sizes longer than actually needed. I tried on some Keene sandals one time, and they had the dandy ridges molded onto the top of the soles to help with toe grip. Would have been dandy except for the issue of having to get them longer than needed to accommodate for the width. The ridges ended up under the balls of my feet! Ouch.
Oh, did I mention toe pinch too? I guess spending the big bucks on custom made would likely be the best option. Damn the expense, full feet ahead.

Thorogood boots! Check out Boot Pro for up to EEEE.

WORK BOOTS | HUNTING BOOTS | POLICE BOOTS | Composite Toe, Steel Toe and Non-Safety Toe Styles | Veteran Discounts | FREE SHIPPING

Call and talk to Jason Ladwig...he will get you what you need with phenomenal customer service.
Mr. Bisley sir, THIS brand looks to be a winner! Many thanks! The boot illustrated addresses several issues for me. Comes in quad E, wide toe box, is resoleable, and, made in USA. To top it off, the price seems very reasonable AND they offer a 25% vet discount on some of their products, in the small print a couple of lines under the logo. Tell em' where you discovered their boots, the NWF site.

THIS looks to be about perfect for protracted slogging in the hills and swamps.
WORK BOOTS | HUNTING BOOTS | POLICE BOOTS | Composite Toe, Steel Toe and Non-Safety Toe Styles | Veteran Discounts | FREE SHIPPING
Anybody tried them?

I recently bought one of these stretchers. This one won't work on boots because the screw sticks straight out the back. There is a boot version that has a u-joint in them but I haven't tried it.

STAR Professional Adjustable Wooden Shoe Stretcher with FREE LIQUID | eBay

Just to try it, I stretched a pair of D width dress shoes enough to fit my EE feet. It took me a week, but it worked.

I mainly got it to stretch the snug areas so the shoes are more comfortable. I did have to put some grease on the screw.

Watch out for cheap knock-offs that have plastic parts.

Mr. Bisley sir, THIS brand looks to be a winner! Many thanks! The boot illustrated addresses several issues for me. Comes in quad E, wide toe box, is resoleable, and, made in USA. To top it off, the price seems very reasonable AND they offer a 25% vet discount on some of their products, in the small print a couple of lines under the logo. Tell em' where you discovered their boots, the NWF site.

THIS looks to be about perfect for protracted slogging in the hills and swamps.
Anybody tried them?
I've been wearing their boots almost daily for the last 3 years. I friggin' love them and will probably order a new pair this winter.

It was a bit of a task finding out what my true size was, as boots fit a bit differently than shoes(went with 11.5, even though all my other shoes are 12). I had sent back 3 pairs(sizes), until I was satisfied with the fit, but now I know exactly what to order going forward. Through the entire process, they gave me phenomenal service and have a customer for life.

I recently bought one of these stretchers. This one won't work on boots because the screw sticks straight out the back. There is a boot version that has a u-joint in them but I haven't tried it.

STAR Professional Adjustable Wooden Shoe Stretcher with FREE LIQUID | eBay

Just to try it, I stretched a pair of D width dress shoes enough to fit my EE feet. It took me a week, but it worked.

I mainly got it to stretch the snug areas so the shoes are more comfortable. I did have to put some grease on the screw.

Watch out for cheap knock-offs that have plastic parts.
I found a set of boot stretchers at a garage sale. However, they don't work well with gortex lined boots, or some synthetics. Great with leather. Want to stretch leather faster? Soak em' in water first.
However, no guarantees on how the boot will like the water treatment.

I wear Danners in size 11EE. They may take a little breaking in initially, but nothing a little leather conditioner can't help accomplish. The beauty of my Danner Acadia's is that they are made of stitch down construction so once they're broke in, that's it. I have two pair so when one pair needs new soles I'll wear the second pair while the new treads are added to the first pair. Both pairs have been resoled about three times each (i work on concrete and steel grated floors that tend to wear them quickly) but each feels like a well fit custom tailored set of boots that fit like a comfortable old glove. I haven't had to break in a new pair of boots in fifteen years.

I wear Danners in size 11EE. They may take a little breaking in initially, but nothing a little leather conditioner can't help accomplish. The beauty of my Danner Acadia's is that they are made of stitch down construction so once they're broke in, that's it. I have two pair so when one pair needs new soles I'll wear the second pair while the new treads are added to the first pair. Both pairs have been resoled about three times each (i work on concrete and steel grated floors that tend to wear them quickly) but each feels like a well fit custom tailored set of boots that fit like a comfortable old glove. I haven't had to break in a new pair of boots in fifteen years.
Explain this stitch down construction and is that what lends them to being resoled? Also where do you have them resoled? I have an old pair off Meindle's that I love but soles need replacing and I fear the are more of a laminate throw away type construction.

Explain this stitch down construction and is that what lends them to being resoled? Also where do you have them resoled? I have an old pair off Meindle's that I love but soles need replacing and I fear the are more of a laminate throw away type construction.
Stitch down is where the upper flanges outboard and is directly stitched down to the sole layers.
Look at a USA Danner and you will see the stitch down method.
It's easier to take apart and rebuild where other methods like bonded are throwaway designs.
Goodyear welt is supposed to be (pseudo) rebuildable but I've never tried it.

IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0032 (1).jpg

I've been wearing whites boots for around 20 years, and have tried many others along the way danners,redwing,and others and always come back to whites. Still wear my first pair that has been rebuilt 2 times and resoled also between rebuilds.

I keep them greased up with obenaufs and wear wool socks, so Oregon rain doesn't bother my feet. I'm actually not a fan of goretex boots after feeling a nice pair of leather boots :D

I have duck feet so its my best option :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads