JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm In the market for a 'tactical' style boot and would prefer to try them on as opposed to ordering online. Is there anywhere in the Portland/SW Portland area or even a drive away that has a selection of boots? I Know Cabelas is decent but I am interested if there is anything else around. Thanks ahead of time!

Danners are way too heavy. I have found the best boots for daily wear that are very stable and lighter than most to be Asolo brand. My latest are the drifter models. I've had several pair and wear them every day. Not sure how 'tactical' they are but I won't wear anything else.

http://m.rei.com/product/830165/asolo-drifter-gv-hiking-boots-mens

Danner carries more than just the heavy leather combat and/or work boots. When I bought my safety toed Quarries (big "heavy" leather combat/work boots) I saw a huge array of more "tactical" boots.

BTW- don't knock a heavier boot, your legs get used to them. I can't even count how many times I've run over the horizon and back wearing Danner's Ft. Lewis boots. The added bonus is, when you take them off you're able to kick a tall basketball player in the face! :D

I like Danner and Asolo both. Maybe REI is a good place to go. Thanks !
Sometimes if you go online at REI you can find better pricing and also, Google up discount codes, etc as an added bonus. A couple years ago I found Asolos regular $210 for $150.

Old thread but..

Keen has a store downtown.

REI has a wide selection of different brands.

Adidas makes tactical shoes and boots, and has a store in Portland.

There may be other stores out there - I like Vasque and Keen brands.

I don't know if there still around, but Iron Tech down on Swan Island out side the front gate of Freightliner is/was an awesome place to try out boots! I wear Salwea Boots Specifically the M2 Guide pro. I have found these to be the very best there is! They are a mountain climbing boot, but are really great for all uses! They fit better then any boot I have ever tried, they wear longer then any, and they are insulated and water resistant far better then most! Yes, these are VERY expensive, but will out last any five pairs of lesser boots you may find!

A trick I learned from an Ol' Gunny, drill small 3/8 deep holes in the heal and toe area of the tread and screw in stainless round head screws. For those of us that use our boots every day, this trick will save your tread literally for years with out any wear! Plus, this helps on ice and other slick surfaces surprisingly well. Just don't walk on hard wood floors with this as your wife will remove your man parts with a dull spork! My Slayas are now 11 years old, and the tread still looks almost new! The boots are still as comfortable as the day I got them and have held up better then any thing I have had before! Your feet will thank you!

51AOpIsxYKL._AC_UL320_SR276,320_.jpg

You forgot libtards and hippies too :)

Not necessarily so. My REI membership dates back to 1973. I still have my packer metal cup and a Swedish white gas stove whose famous name escapes me right now. One off my current best boots are Wolverines that are steel toe, water proof and decent comfort sole. Great for the motorcycle all day or working in the restoration shop. They'd be 2nd choice after my Danner Combat Hikers for SHTF.

Brutus out

I'll def +1 for Danner... honestly, I stop there every time I drive through and if they have something that fits, I buy it. I switched from a Redwing boot to Danner... so I never noticed their boots to be "heavy".

I've got big feet, and finding shoes is really hard, the danner outlet store regularly carries size 15 wide, or 16's (I can usually fit into a 15W but sometimes need a 16). I have nothing but good things to say about danner, they're comfy, and I often end up with the goretex lined boots, and they usually go about 1-2 years of daily wear before being sent back for resoling.

I have had excellent results with Georgia Boots. I drive dump truck and I am in my boots 10 hrs a day for 8 months a year. A pair of Georgia's will last me 4-5 hard years with little if any upkeep. I buy the version they offer with very little traction to the sole so that they don't drag mud into the truck or get asphalt rocks stuck between the lugs. But they offer a dozen different kinds. Wilco carries them locally here.

I went to Danner and wanted a solid leather 8-9" boot in brown.

Unfortunately, the only brown ones they had had gortex mixed in for airflow I'm guessing. The only solid leather boots they had were in a rust red/brown and that wasn't what I wanted. Otherwise they had great boots.

Saw a pair of Carhart brand boots at the little store by ikea and they are just a plain brown solid leather boot. Wanna say they were almost $200 but most good boots are well over $100.

I have had them for about 6 years. They didn't get worn daily but feel like a nice soft glove that weighs a ton when I put them on and are still in great shape (I clean them and oil them regularly). Mostly I'm in flip flops but it takes almost no time to get used to the boot weight again.

SWWA military surplus had "military" type boots last time I was there but it's been a few months at least.

I have diabetes so a good pair of boots is a must. I wear nothing but danners to protect my feet amd so far they have worked very well. The cost to me of not taking care of my feet is not acceptable.

I just remembered Korkers boots! There was a time when they made the best work boots there was. I have a pair of them for fishing and they have the interchangeable sole for different traction needs. Honestly for what they are, they are very comfortable! I know they used to be THE boot for Logging and Linemen as well as Rail road and Long Shore men. They were made in OryGun but I don't know if that is still true. They do have a line of winter weight work boots that are like the fishing boots with the interchangeable soles, but I have not tried a pair on. If they are as nice as the fishing boots, they may be a good boot for every thing else!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top