Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

BOB Carry.

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by lowly monk, Mar 18, 2011.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Had a maintenance seminar at the convention center yesterday. I figured I would carry my survivle back pack for the day. Went pretty well, Had to get usto the extra wieght and bulkyness. Also did not have any wepons or ammo in this run.
    Lessons learned.
    Waterproof things better or get a dry bag, Dont eat all of the food, Even though it was light out I noticed I left my flashlight on dresser.
    OK how do I get across the river without getting my stuff wet.(If the bridges were down) Cant steal so takeing a boat wouldnt work. Hmmm.
    Would you steal or name it something els for your survivle? How far would you go with realistic situations.

2. ArgentineSteel

ArgentineSteel Vancouver, WA Active Member

Have a few bucks in the bag, flag a boater down and ask for a ride. :) Offer a candy bar or cash.

Do it quick, don't wait.

Social niceties devolve so quickly.

3. nubus

nubus Guest

Packaging inside your BOB is crucial.
    You could ruin your food or fire source easily.
    I had lighters in a sealed ammo can and the flints were shot in 5 years.
    Now they all get vacuum sealed before stowing.
    Aloksak, just google it, has nice products too.

4. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

I thought there was a way that the army guys would wrap their ponchos around their packs so that they would float and not get wet? Too lazy to look it up. But a big +1 for the vacuum bagging. Works great for clothes and also packs them down so that they don't take up as much space. Freezer bags seem to do good as well.

5. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

They taught us to use the waterproof bag (they call it the "wet weather bag")...keep some air in it when you seal it as well.

6. Studio BK

Studio BK Tualatin, OR Active Member

From what I remember we just rolled up all our clothes and put them in ziplocks inside our pack. The pack floated like that enough to keep our heads above water while swimming on our backs.

7. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

You mean you guys don't know how to make an inflatable flotation device out of your pants??? I guess it all depends on which boot camp in which era you went through.

8. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Hey we did that in the boy scouts. UH in a warm pool. Without weapons,Food. I think Ill get a dry bag.

9. gunslinger1911

gunslinger1911 WA state Member

Everything in my pack can get wet...buy a large dry bag and just keep merino long jons and wool socks in it...when needed put your ammo/boots into your dri bag...get wet...get across...change into your your dry wools...start a fire...dry out your stuff...done it a hundred times...but I am the master survivalist :D

...or you could throw your stuff across...build a raft...or my favorite, the ultimate survival vehicle...BUY A CONOE!!