JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The recent thread on a blunderbuss inspired me to look into blunderbuss build kits. I see one that looks iffy in the $300 range and some others in the $1000 range.

Anyone know of a good kit manufacturer? Preferably one with unfinished stock and one that wont blow off too many fingers when fired.

Why would you want a Blunderbuss. They are nothing but a short barrel shotgun that is easy to load shot into. That's the whole purpose of the belled muzzle it does not spread shot any better then a cylinder bore barrel. They were designed as boarding guns the belled muzzle was to make them a little easier to load while fighting your way on board a ship.

Now if you looking for a cool toy I completely understand. And would suggest a steel barrel as the first thing to look for. A percussion cap ignition will be much less frustrating for the non Flint experienced. Also less scarry to fire (having an open pan of 4f black powder go off that close to your face takes some getting used to.

After the barrel I would look to quality of the lock and trigger. Then fit and finish. Anything made by one of the name brands is going to hold up. Off brands and things with only the label SPAIN not so much.

IMHO as a Black powder shooter there last 34+ years

The traditions kit would have a decent lock and trigger I have handled and shot a number of Traditions other Muzzle loaders. Also keep in mind the Traditions gun is .54 cal something like the one sold by stonewallcreekoutfitters is a 4 ga. Tha'ts like TWICE AS BIG .540 compared to 1.052" That's a huge difference when it comes to stuffing things down the big hole.

Why would you want a Blunderbuss.

To be a pirate, of course.

a2QL0oc.gif

I was just thinking that a good blunderbuss can fire everything but the kitchen sink.. when it came to me that a kitchen sink would make the perfect blunderbuss.
patent pending lol

Just how historically correct do you want to be?

I looked at the Traditions kit and well .... Not to be a wet blanket , I wasn't impressed.
From a history standpoint the gun itself wasn't really a copy of anything.
If you are just looking for a fun shooter , then it might be okay.
Plus having worked on many a Traditions kit for friends , quality can be hit or miss and sometimes their level of skill is more than difficult than what the directions state.

Then there is your comment of wanting to be a pirate.
( I get that you might have been joking... :) )
For a "classic" pirate look a flintlock or better yet a doglock is the way to go if you want a blunderbuss.
The Sitting Fox Company has a kit that looks pretty good.

For a less expensive option with a more historic look , there are some guns made in India that look right.
Be advised that some folks think that the India made guns are unsafe.
If you look around you will see both sides of the story on the net.

Going against a earlier post , shooting a flintlock isn't as scary as it can be made out to be.
I have taught many a first time shooter on some of my original guns ... and they have loved it and came back for more.
Andy

Also you do not want to put junk down the barrel as it can scar or even get stuck in the bore and I bet you can guess what problems that could cause.

I have seen , worked on and fired guns from MVTCo before.
I like how the metal parts are hand worked much like the originals were.
'Course that makes fitting a replacement part a bit of a chore ...
Also the stock is a bit problematic , it is teak and tends to look like teak no matter what you do ...

As I said in an earlier post , be advised that opinions differ greatly on India made guns.
If you want to start a fight at a rendezvous , just go ahead and toss out what you think about these guns ... :p
I have no doubt that some are little better than wall hangers.
But the ones from MVTCo and the ones I have seen from Loyalist Arms seem to be a good product.
If I were to order one ... I would order one with the vent hole drilled.
( Some companies sell un-drilled ones. )

All in all though I do like that company ( MVTCo ) and the guns they import.
I've been tempted for a while now by their "Ranger Carbine."
Andy

Last Edited:
I'f anyone has comments about the following, I'd like to hear them.

i have wanted to get Blunderbus kit for about the last 40 years and now with the Traditions kit, the prospect looks somewhat affordable. But a blunderbus with a caplock? How anachronistic can you get?

I rummaged through my stuff last night and found a 50 cal pistol with a flintlock. That got my imagination going.

If I get a Traditions, how about if I build it using that flintlock? The nipple and mount on the Traditions barrel should be removable and easily replaced with a plug with a 1/16" flash hole or so and then the flint lock should be able to be mounted with its pan next to the flash hole. And then there may be some wood removal (or wood adding) to be done to gt the flint lock mounted properly.

Alternatively, a guy could do the same thing with another brand of flint lock.

Has anyone done this to a Traditions kit?

Any advise?

Thanks!

I could see a Large Pistol Blunderbuss being a riot to shoot, thanks a lot, now ya got me looking! A pretty neat set up would be a small canon snap lock using a musket primer would be pretty schweet, and about right for a boarding blunderbuss! Arrrrrrrr!:D
a 71/75 bore loaded up with buck shot would be freaky!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top