JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the oring for I keep seeing in parts kits?
And why cant I find a single schematic diagram showing where it goes?

1678553448222.png

So it goes in the bolts extractor....?

I cant find a diagram exploded view anywhere on the web. Lame.

Sounds like its not needed.

Note: I dont need to repair anything, I just wanted some spare parts especially as I build another lower... tiny parts tend to fly away.

It's used with the 4 coil extractor spring.
BCM includes them with their kit but I don't use them, almost need pliers to compress it as it is with the 5 wire spring.
ENeFA3al.jpg

So it goes in the bolts extractor....?

I cant find a diagram exploded view anywhere on the web. Lame.

Sounds like its not needed.

Note: I dont need to repair anything, I just wanted some spare parts especially as I build another lower... tiny parts tend to fly away.

30F49E12-FDC0-4309-9C27-14B9E09F7BBD.jpeg 4A73EC77-26F4-4FCC-8AF3-0C5409D5F576.jpeg

Seems like an oring there would regularly wear out.

Probably should have some spare, but ive never taken my bolts apart so I dont know what they use.
Seems like if it was ever needed, to replace what you have with the same? Or just use a 5 coil spring?

Seems like an oring there would regularly wear out.

Probably should have some spare, but ive never taken my bolts apart so I dont know what they use.
Seems like if it was ever needed, to replace what you have with the same? Or just use a 5 coil spring?
Either. I've got both in my spare parts kit. Just know how it all works. I wished I shot enough to wear one out.

Either. I've got both in my spare parts kit. Just know how it all works. I wished I shot enough to wear one out.
Im not certain I will ever wear one out as well. I just like the idea of having these small spare parts, the price is cheap enough to add to an order for other stuff.

So the orings a non issue. I'll get the spare parts, stow them in the back of my toolbox and probably never need them.

The whole o-ring thing was a carry over from the Mk18 extraction issues.
Adding an o-ring provided more extractor tension and was a quick fix.
Going to the copper 5 coil spring and insert provides more tension with no o-ring to degrade over time.

So being that I've never heard of this 5 ring spring before this post and I thought I was pretty knowledgeable on ARs, are manufacturers now making them without the o ring? All mine run o rings. Is this a bad thing? All of a sudden I feel like I'm in the dark in something.

The O-ring was a stop gap solution to extraction issues that began with the Mk18 system, It supposed to go over Extractor Spring and Black Extractor Insert to help aid extraction. That issue as since been resolved with the copper colored Colt spring and others like the Sprinco 4 or 5 coil. Bottom line, there are not needed if you are running the correct spring. If you need one then what you really need are better quality parts.

100632701-2__18172.1404844271.jpg

The whole o-ring thing was a carry over from the Mk18 extraction issues.
Adding an o-ring provided more extractor tension and was a quick fix.
Going to the copper 5 coil spring and insert provides more tension with no o-ring to degrade over time.
ah ha... so there it is the real reason for an oring.
I dont know but it just seems to me an oring would wear out sooner than later.

So being that I've never heard of this 5 ring spring before this post and I thought I was pretty knowledgeable on ARs, are manufacturers now making them without the o ring? All mine run o rings. Is this a bad thing? All of a sudden I feel like I'm in the dark in something.
The majority do use a 4 coil spring with the o-ring.
The Radian I bought does and it cost quite a bit, cheaping out on a spring is kinda lame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top