JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First of all, check this thing out! :eek:

I made it to look old with a good patina. The lock? An RPL- RPL Locks
DSCN5582.JPG
Here s the kit/factory version...
th[1].jpg

The term "blunderbuss" is of Dutch origin, from the Dutch word donderbus, which is a combination of donder, meaning "thunder", and bus, meaning "Pipe" (Middle Dutch: busse, box, tube, from Late Latin, buxis, box,[2] from Ancient Greek pyxίs (πυξίς), box: esp. from boxwood).

It looks like Traditions used a "shot out" and shortened .50 cal barrel on this blunderbuss, I could just make out the faint rifling twist with my bore scope,

A1: Relatively speaking, yes. But you can still cause major damage with it downrange especially if alternate loads (such as marbles) are used'

A2) I think it was $185

Sure .54 cal is small for a blunderbuss
but...
It still goes 'BOOM" and makes a lot of smoke and I am not volunteering to be a target.
And... it was much less expensive that a "real" blunderbuss kit.
And one more thing about the destructive nature of Muzzleloaders in general.

About 38 years ago, I was out in the woods with some friends. It had just snowed so we took the opportunity to make some big snow men. We lined them up and commenced to shooting them. 12 gauge... little puff of snow. 30-06 ... a little larger puff of snow. 8mm Mag... a little larger yet.

Then I got my .50Cal Hawken out. It blew out the entire center snowball and the top snowball dropped onto the lower snowball with a "plop". Everyone looked at me and said "WTF!"

I tried it on some other snowmen with similar results.

Those 370 grain subsonic MaxiBalls are wicked!

For the record I wasn't trying to imply that .54 caliber was "small"...in fact it is my favorite muzzleloading caliber.

I was saying that a Blunderbuss , is simply a muzzleloading shotgun , with a large "Bell" shaped muzzle , to help with loading , they are usually smoothbore...That said , there are historic examples of rifled Blunderbusses.
Also was just pointing out that a .54 caliber smoothbore is very close to a 28 gauge...that is all.

I do own a few muzzleloaders and have a great respect for their capabilities.
Andy

FAL - I think your build is awesome. The kit is so homely looking in the white and you really brought some life to it.

I know .54 isn't "small" but I kinda want a big 'un.

Anyone know what the Middlesex bore size is on their BBs?

Veteran Arms has a brass barreled Blunderbuss in .75 caliber which is around 11 gaugeish...
MilitaryHeritage.com has a steel barreled blunderbuss in .69 caliber , which is around 16 gaugeish...
The ones from Middlesex I can't seem to find a bore size.
Andy

Veteran Arms has a brass barreled Blunderbuss in .75 caliber which is around 11 gaugeish...
MilitaryHeritage.com has a steel barreled blunderbuss in .69 caliber , which is around 16 gaugeish...
The ones from Middlesex I can't seem to find a bore size.
Andy
Are these manufacturers you would reccomend? Because a .75 blunderbuss loaded with ball or shot sounds like fun. (No, not practical, but fun.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top