JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think some of the stouter loads would but I want the puny loads for sage rats and for kids to shoot. I bought a thousand Nosler 34 gr FBHP recently for $89 hoping they will work for the hornet, but I know they will work great in this application.

The OP got me to wonder about "thinking outside the box" for lower velocity/lower pressure loads in the .223.
Looking at a burn-rate chart, I see that Blue Dot is #71.
Now I've used IMR 4198, which is #99, and it will easily get up to ~3000fps and cycle the AR bolt no problem.
In between those powders are several which might give reasonable performance with bullets of 55 grains or less.
I'm thinking of ;
Alliant 2400, at #76
H-110 at #87
IMR 4227 at #89
Accurate 5744 at #92
Their are others, these are just ones I have on hand.
What do you guys think,, maybe I should make-up a few of each just to try?
In these days of powder shortages, something different for just plinking might work-out ok.

The OP got me to wonder about "thinking outside the box" for lower velocity/lower pressure loads in the .223.
Looking at a burn-rate chart, I see that Blue Dot is #71.
Now I've used IMR 4198, which is #99, and it will easily get up to ~3000fps and cycle the AR bolt no problem.
In between those powders are several which might give reasonable performance with bullets of 55 grains or less.
I'm thinking of ;
Alliant 2400, at #76
H-110 at #87
IMR 4227 at #89
Accurate 5744 at #92
Their are others, these are just ones I have on hand.
What do you guys think,, maybe I should make-up a few of each just to try?
In these days of powder shortages, something different for just plinking might work-out ok.

I don't have any Blue Dot either.

The list of loads in the linked article contains some "reduced" loads. But going up the scale to 3,900 fps. goes beyond my definition of reduced loads.

I have long been interested in reduced loads in the various caliber rifles that I shoot. I like the idea of versatility. My concern with using Blue Dot in .223 is position sensitivity. I've read that this is a concern with Blue Dot as it doesn't come close to filling the case. There have been comments made about primer piercing. I will do anything to avoid failed primers; I don't like burned bolt faces. Cheap enough to replace in an AR, not cheap in a bolt rifle. And if not repaired, lowers the value of the rifle. I won't buy a rifle showing burns on the bolt face. For one thing, it points toward possibly having been fired using over-max. loads.

I'd like to see pressure curve data for some of the Blue Dot loads.

Another troubling thought. Blue Dot has a rep. for "acting weird." Didn't Alliant withdraw all load recommendations for using it in .41 Magnum due to safety concerns? And light bullets in .357 Magnum?

There's no denying the economical aspect of using Blue Dot in .223. But I'll stick with rifle powders. I've got a couple of rifle powders that have accepted load data that I could use for reduced loads should such be required.

I have a partial container of Blue Dot. That I can sit there and look at. Because these days, it isn't of much use to me. I've used it in .41 Mag in the past. I could always use it in 10mm auto but I've got other powders for that.

Yeah, I understand the concern.
My thinking goes more along the lines of IMR 4227 and 5744.
They are both rifle powders and both are only a few numbers on the chart faster than 4198.
I might ladder-load ~5 rounds using each one of them.
I think that the bolt might still cycle using a 45>55 grain bullet in the 27>2800fps range.

My thinking goes more along the lines of IMR 4227 and 5744.

IMR 4227 isn't normally recommended for .223 Rem. Mostly because there are more suitable powders for it. But DuPont used to publish load data for .223 using 4227 with a 55 gr. jacketed bullet. You wouldn't be saving that much powder, though, as against IMR 4198, for example.

There is data for 4227 in .222 Rem., a suitable load for .223 might be worked up from that and likely has been.

There is published data for .223 reduced loads using 5744 which is totally appropriate. As is using discontinued SR 4759 which is the all-time best reduced load powder.

What is the purpose of the reduced load? There are several, one being reduced recoil. Which is a non-issue for .223 in my view. Then there is economy, which is understandable. There is versatility. One reason given for people wanting to use Blue Dot in .223 is it gives them a cartridge on the order of .22 Hornet performance in case such is needed. Perfectly legitimate, but laughs at the 3,900 fps. loads using Blue Dot.

In times of scarcity, such substitutions may become necessary rather than optional.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top