JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, my first 1911 rant!!! Been a fan of J.M.B. greatest pistol for close to 36 years, and this is the first one I have ever been ready to toss in the trash can! It's a Kimber compact Ultra carry II that I bought 6 years ago! In the time I have owned it, I have had nothing but problems with Q.C. and today, it cracked and bulged the factory barrel! I got lucky I caught it before major damage was done, but this is the first of all 1911's I have owned that has been less then perfect! I have never run any thing but factory ammo in it, and all the ammo I have run through it I have also used in several others with ZERO issues! Other then a change to the factory sights to Meprolight night sights, and the Overmoulded Houge grips, this pistol is completely stock!

SO.... Issues I have had since day one: The factory fit and finish is second rate, and the slide and other steel parts are prone to rusting, weather I carry it every day, or it sits in the safe, it gets light surface rust! The finish on the frame is prone to chipping and it looks like crap! More serious, the barrel has been hammering the top of the frame when the slide cycles back, and the guide stop has been hammering the front of the frame in front of the barrel cut for the ramped barrel! I noticed after several thousand rounds, the chamber was opened up a few thousandths and finally today, I heard an odd sound when shooting, and it didn't feel right! Stopped, cleared and made safe and put her away until I could get it home and taken apart! Found the chamber to have really opened up to about 4 thousandths and a very obvious bulge at the first barrel to slide locking cut and even more noticeable, it is cracked at the right side of the hood about 1/8th of an inch in, visible only inside the chamber but not on the outside! So, I have ordered a new barrel and will be taking the frame to a trusted "Smith to have the barrel seat welded up and re cut while I am fitting the new barrel to the slide! once I am satisfied she runs well and is safe to use, she is getting sold off! Not a happy guy right now, and if this is the measure of Kimber Quality, it's the last I will ever own! Not sure how to up load pictures from my new phone, but will try and get some snaps and get them loaded up for your viewing pleasure!

I was going to read your whole story, then you said Kimber.
Owned one Kimber. Customer service made sure it was pretty, but didn't bother to fix the main reason I sent it in for (with detailed notes and pictures).
I gave up and sold mine within a couple of years. I just don't see myself buying another Kimber. Sorry you're having to go thru something like I did.

Hear are some pictures! kind of see the crack, and the bulge is at the tip of the screw driver!
2HmHTPIu5MZMr0GEh321zWut4n7LjF4pRmOVCCpt21oay7b9--97biQWic_cllwxa2KkgUPhAql2PeBx60=w1526-h858-no.jpg

SaelYyZwYu1Xg9CEKMl99FVp8a1QNuzQvlDpcsdC0FfIfxHkea3jd-VAvpGRmMTa5w5TUeOOhQGNSbAGGSc=w483-h858-no.jpg

How many rounds thru the pipe?

I have a Kimber UCII with minimal round count. I really enjoy shooting it, but the finish on the slide wears off easily going in and out of a soft leather holster :rolleyes::)

Here are the other issues! Note the slide is suposed to be black, but the finish was so red with light rust that I sanded it down and keep it oiled, still rusts, just not as bad or as often! And the grip safety showing some of this rust!

Last edited by a moderator:
It has only around 2500 rounds through it, always worked well, pretty accurate shooter, just looks like a $300 1911, not $800! Now, I'm not so sure I wanna spend even more on it to make it the way it should have been from the start! Still, gotta do the barrel just so I can sell it! Sure changes what I think of Kimber now, I actually feel kina bad, I actually recommended these to folks!!!

Yeah, I worked for Kimber of Oregon in the late '80's. They did a lot of sketchy things to get rifles out the door and advertised! Basically it was just a shoestring operation!
On the other hand, the two rifles I have are both very accurate, the .223/5.56 is freakishly so! Go figure! :) I would never buy another Kimber anything!

I've heard nothing but bad things about them. But I'm not a 1911 guy.

If I was it would be Springfield or Sig.

Sorry about your lucky.
Maybe they will make it right, but from all the stories you hear if they started doing that they would have been bankrupt years ago

I've had quite a few Kimbers and never a problem...well, except I couldn't get my Ultras to stop failing to chamber. I have sold all of them off pretty quickly. Kimbers look great and have great name recognition from all of their back-cover ads. I've had a lot better luck with Colt, Springfield, and Smith&Wesson 1911's. Right now I own not a single 1911, unfortunately. I just can't stomach the idea of only 7-9 rounds in a 36oz gun.

Here are the other issues! Note the slide is suposed to be black, but the finish was so red with light rust that I sanded it down and keep it oiled, still rusts, just not as bad or as often! And the grip safety showing some of this rust!
CANTSEESHNIT:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend at the gun shop always boohoo-ed Kimber.
I had a few and he would alway talk about the article he read in some gun rag about the Marines having catastrophic failures with the limbers they were testing,hence why they picked SA 1911s I guess.

I was actually considering a kimber 1911 for my next 1911. Guess I will keep looking into other manufacturers,
Always wanted a Ed brown, STI, or Les Baer.

I just can't stomach the idea of only 7-9 rounds in a 36oz gun.

I liked mine for target and action pistol competition. But it was a double stack P14.45 with mag extensions... 10rds IDPA but 18rds+1 for USPSA. I wouldn't carry one tho. The belt required to hold up such a beast would pull my back out.

The only Kimber I have at present, a super carry pro hd, has been a phenomenal 1911, absolutely reliable and a fantastic shooter. The finish isn't as durable as I'd like, especially on a pistol that retails north of $1,200 but that's about it. I think Kimber is like any other medium-high end product; gonna be a lemon now and then. I heard somebody say, might have been the Yankee Penguin, that Kimber sells the most 1911s and is gonna have a higher absolute number of problems but not necessarily a higher percentage than any other reputable manufacturer. Or something like that.

Not to bash this Kimber, besides the flaws in finish, and the lacking final Q.C. inspection before shipping, it has been reliable as any, never had a functioning problem until now, and has been exceptionally accurate for a shorty! Sadly, this was my first, and now my last Kimber, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, to trust in a company with your hard earned dollars only to be failed in the quality and warranty!
I have the twin to this, the Colt New Agent, Identical in every way, and the Colt is almost a year older, I carried them interchangeably, and the colt still looks almost brand new! A little holster wear around the muzzle and the safety and such, but way less then the Kimber! Also, the colt finish is uniform and a lot nicer looking!
My final recommendation, Not to buy a Kimber product! You can bet I will not be recommending them any more! For this kind of coin, I think a Colt or other mid price point options would be a much better deal!

Sadly this happens. Of course no one wants to be the one it happens too. That Kimber was just a total fail in the QC department. Not sure what the hell I would do with it. Have you priced out a new top end for it compared to the cost of fixing it? If it's not too much more I think I would try that. Then once all good have it re finished with something better. No matter how you go about it you are of course going to take a loss by the time you sell. They (Kimber) do of course turn out a LOT of working pistols or they would no longer be in business.
As to finish this is why I love stainless for carry. The stainless used for guns will rust but it's a lot tougher and takes a beating much better. Good luck with the Kimber, hopefully you can get it running and get rid of it and move on to something that will not be as frustrating.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top