JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

The restrictions prohibit the use of fireworks, exploding targets or metallic targets, steel component ammunition (core or jacket), tracer or incendiary devices, and sky lanterns.

BLM land - restrictions on type of ammo and targets that may cause sparks - not shooting in general.

There is more public land than BLM land.
And metallic targets. That means no shooting for me on BLM land because I shoot steel. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

An overabundance of caution due to the actions of a plethora of the foolish. Makes sense, I reckon. Too bad good ol' fashioned common sense is in such short supply.
Yeah, I was really looking forward to shooting some tannerite with a tracer round in the middle of a dry field this weekend. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I was really looking forward to shooting some tannerite with a tracer round in the middle of a dry field this weekend. 🤷‍♂️
Shoot APIT - tracer with a steel core (usually - sometimes it is a tungsten core).

One shoot on private land in eastern WA, I went to back in the 90s, some were shooting tracer at night - pretty when it hit rocks and richocheted into the sky. Not so pretty when it caused a fire in the sagebrush and threatened to burn out of control. To get to the hill required driving for 10 minutes so we were sweating it for a while - but they got it put out and then banned tracers for the duration.

Okay I just went to the Oregon/WA BLM websites and downloaded the fire prevention order from May 24th 2024, it makes absolutely no mention of campfires nor bonfires, not even a line saying campfires permitted only in designated fire rings or some such like the National Forest websites do during fire season.

Okay I just went to the Oregon/WA BLM websites and downloaded the fire prevention order from May 24th 2024, it makes absolutely no mention of campfires nor bonfires, not even a line saying campfires permitted only in designated fire rings or some such like the National Forest websites do during fire season.
Because it's anti fun

As a part of lessening risk for land conservation purposes (fires), I don't shoot steel in the heat of the summer. I shoot paper targets. I have maintained that for quite a few years now.
I still bring a shovel, water and an extinguisher just in case and I wait after cleaning up to see if anything smolders before I take off.

Doing so I've at least ensured I'll never be the cause of a fire out in my favorite shooting spots.

All it takes is a massive wild fire on public shooting lands to shut it all down. People don't realize this when they leave heaps of trash out there as well. If shooters were more responsible we wouldn't keep seeing areas shut down.

I don't see these restrictions as a halt to public land shooting, more just raising concern for target types during dry fire seasons.. which does make sense as many public land shooters are smooth brains and will eventually be the cause of that land being shut down by trashing it or starting a fire.

But but but, that's diff'rint
Apparently not, unless the person popping smoke (a pyrotechnic grenade), is a Federal employee in official duty, or a member of an organized rescue group or firefighter force during performance of official duties, or a hunter with valid license, actively engaged in legal taking of game species during current hunting season(s) :rolleyes:

This is the link to the website where you can download the PDF, the majority of which is shown in the picture I've attached.
You can shoot on public lands. Note the type of ammo restriction and target restriction in the letter.
Edit to add: as always, don't be a dumfuk when shooting on public lands. Each of us, in our actions, represents the greater gun community.

1716656288806.png

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top