JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Grandpa settled into Longview Washington back when RA Long started the town. I've inherited two watches from him, one of which I was told he received from a Swedish Immigrant for teaching him English. (not necessarily that his watch was of Swedish origin) I'm not sure which the provenance belongs to. Should the below engraving be Swedish, could cinch it. IMGP0767.JPG IMGP0776.JPG
Anyone recognize what language is used in the inscription within the photo? and even a translation, Now that would be sweet!
clear pictures of scribing's on a shiny surface are a real challenge. Script fount doesn't help the situation.
Thank you kindly for lookin
IMGP0777.JPG
This one reads ANITA on the inside, could not find anything on them. The other is a nice Hampton from 1914

Yes!
And special thanks to @IronMonster , As I knew of no such thing as Google translator pryor. I typed it in and it conformed the language was French and enough of the script was ledgible to indicate exactly what @bolus posted , balancer, compensator etc. Learned much and nothing at the same time :confused:since its not Swedish, both watches are still up and running for the dubious title of remittance.
thanks again
:)

A excellent place to send your watch to be serviced is :
Girard's
www.girards.com
4312 Ridge Dr.
Pinckney Mi.

It is a great family run business.
I have bought watches from them before and they are very honest.
In fact I am sending a Hampton watch from 1898 to them to be repaired...
A watch repair or service can be pricey ...but the level of skill needed to do the repair or service is very high as well.
Andy

A excellent place to send your watch to be serviced is :
Girard's
www.girards.com
4312 Ridge Dr.
Pinckney Mi.

It is a great family run business.
I have bought watches from them before and they are very honest.
In fact I am sending a Hampton watch from 1898 to them to be repaired...
A watch repair or service can be pricey ...but the level of skill needed to do the repair or service is very high as well.
Andy
Funny you should mention the repair;
I toyed with the idea of repair knowing neither would likely provide an uptown night out if sold.
That said, I was wondering if the (other watch) Hampton, was worth fixing. Esthetically, it surpasses the French watch on the inside but outside their comparable.
However it has no less than 9 watch repair marks* inside its cover over its life, and currently is not working. (likely a broken mainspring as it will not wind) Whereas the above subject watch, (the French AVITA watch) seemingly the same era or slightly older, is keeping time, and ticking as the proverbial clock should, with only one repair mark. My dad never had it repaired so the last repair must have been before early 50's.
that would make the 9 repairs during just 4 decades.
Both showing similar amount of wear.
In my mind this doesn't speak well for the 1914 Dueber Hampton # 440 though no way to know what abuse each has had.
I am a pocket watch user, but I'll likely not ever wear either as I have many other sturdy working watches thus exacerbating my apprehension towards repair.
* my now deceased brother in law was a horologists.

Keep in mind the repair makes could also only be for a professional cleaning. In which case nothing might have been wrong with the watch.

My grandfather ran the Jewel Setting automatics at the Elgin watch factory from the mid 1930's until WWII. My Dads Uncle was in the warranty dept and my Grandmother and 2 of her sisters worked in the case factory. As the war spooled up the whole family as well as many other German Americans quit on one day after my grandfather and a couple others were beat senseless by Union thugs when the payroll dept let it be known they were not signed up to buy war bonds. And the management said the only way they could keep their jobs was to change to the Bomb fuse dept. Of course the thugs figured as they spoke German (with each other) they must be Nazi sympathizers. In reality they were Apostolic Christians and total pacifists that had they been in Germany at the time would have been in slave labor or concentration camps for their beliefs. They could not aid or finance war in anyway.

I been around a lot of pocket watches

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top