JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bye bye Wolf, Barnaul, Tula, Red army standard, Herters etc etc. I'm somewhat pissed off now. I've been looking to buy an AK that's not a death trap like the IO inc i already have because steelcase 7.62x39 has been so plentiful and comparatively cheap. Looks like I'm going to need to seriously rethink that.
Red Army Standard isn't just Russian. Romania, Bosnia, etc all make 7.62x39, and CAI has imported ammo from them.

Last century had a Wolf 9mm round (or casing, forget which) jam in the chamber so tightly it had to be pounded out with a dowel. A buddy looked at me and said "Why are shooting that bubblegum ammo in such a nice gun?" The answer that I was a cheap bastard really didn't fly. So I immediately went out and made more money. And quit shooting bubblegum ammo.

Joking aside, this is bad news.

Until those countries needs "sanctions."

It's also not as simple as that. Ammunition production is a significant and fairly complicated undertaking, it's not something you can just start up whenever and wherever you want, it essentially takes first-world, first-rate supply chains and production capabilities. Cheap Russian steel cased ammo is still the commercial market effectively benefitting from Soviet era economies of scale. The next natural choice would be China but they're already sanctioned. I'm not personally sure who would or even could be able to step in next. I know Turkey has been producing some but not nearly the quantity we're talking about with the other two.

Feel free to say if I'm sounding crazy if you've got other information, but I view this as a BIG potential loss for US shooters, and one that would not likely be resolved for a long time. It seems like just another way to try to make guns prohibitively expensive for the commoners and "under-classes".
I do see what you guys are saying.. but the ammo market I feel will level out and reestablish over time, most likely from another country. But you do have a point, its only until new nations face the same sanction fate.

Serbian ammunition - PPU, is excellent stuff, much as it pains me to admit.
They have had plenty of time to get it right, have been in business since 1928, with understandable changes in management.

Belom ammunition, also in Serbia. They are a newer company but in a large, modern factory owned by the government.

Plus Igman in Bosnia/H. Which is a large establishment set up in 1950 by the then-Yugoslav government.

Plus Pobjeda (Maxx Tech brand) also in Bosnia/H.

The above four brands are imported into the US.

I don't have a lot of experience with these brands. I've had some PPU in 7.5x55 Swiss and 8x56R Austrian, they were up to any US standard and likely better than contemporary Olin products.

The defense (and therefore small arms ammo) industries in regions formerly organized as the nation of Yugoslavia were highly disrupted by internal strife in the 1990's. Then the Kosovo war in 1999 devasted much of it, specifically in Serbia (NATO "Allies" bombing). The Serbian government has undertaken to revitalize these industries in recent years.

Bye bye Wolf, Barnaul, Tula, Red army standard, Herters etc etc. I'm somewhat pissed off now. I've been looking to buy an AK that's not a death trap like the IO inc i already have because steelcase 7.62x39 has been so plentiful and comparatively cheap. Looks like I'm going to need to seriously rethink that.
You can sell me that IO whenever.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads