JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, does any US ammo mfgs. make 7.62 X 39? Or is the bulk of it from overseas?

I once had an SKS and started loading for it but tired of it very quickly (the rifle - not loading) and eventually traded it off.

So, does any US ammo mfgs. make 7.62 X 39? Or is the bulk of it from overseas?
Far as I know its all overseas. Hornady sells a 7.62X39 but its just repacked Russian ammo. Some really expensive winchester etc. There are a slew of other countries besides Russia selling 7.62x39 that just got a pay raise.

Ukraine needs to step it up and start selling us some 7.62x39, most of the former european communist countries joined NATO a long time ago so they aren't using or producing 7.62x39, yes they had stock piles but they have been sending it through the US to conflicts we support. For example Croatia, the US negotiated a deal and Croatia sent 5000 tons of surplus arms and ammo to Syria through Jordan to supply John McCain's good rebels.

Ukraine needs to step it up and start selling us some 7.62x39, most of the former european communist countries joined NATO a long time ago so they aren't using or producing 7.62x39, yes they had stock piles but they have been sending it through the US to conflicts we support. For example Croatia, the US negotiated a deal and Croatia sent 5000 tons of surplus arms and ammo to Syria through Jordan to supply John McCain's good rebels.
You'll find yourself disappointed an awful lot trying to rely on Ukraine for anything.

There's other countries making 7.62x39, its 5.45 that's done though.
True but I think its the mix of affordability and availability of the round. If its not available at a price it becomes more of a niche gun. It becomes more of a collatable rifle something more akin to an M1 Garand. People would be less likely to trick out an AK and run them if 300Blk is the same price. Look at how much less popular 5.56 AKs are then 7.62x39 its the bulk that makes it popular.

True but I think its the mix of affordability and availability of the round. If its not available at a price it becomes more of a niche gun. It becomes more of a collatable rifle something more akin to an M1 Garand. People would be less likely to trick out an AK and run them if 300Blk is the same price. Look at how much less popular 5.56 AKs are then 7.62x39 its the bulk that makes it popular.
5.56 AKs have no common parts, mags are expensive, for a while they had a bad rep due to CAI slapping .223 on ak74 mags for 5.56 AKs.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top