Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bi-Mart Safe 27.99 Any good?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by .45's and .38's, Dec 1, 2009.

1. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

I see these safes in the paper at bi-mart. It is very small & I only need it to hold 1 gun..........Which is my 1911....SOOOOOOOOO I really dont want to buy one that is going to make it rust. 27.99 does sound cheap..Any Opinions:thumbup:

2. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

I have one, not the thickest metal in the world or anything, certainly somebody with some power tools and 15 minutes could crack it open, but it seems like a decent safe for under $30. I really like the lock on it, seems very smooth and "quality", not like some of the cheapy locks on file cabs and stuff. I keep meaning to bolt it in my truck. One of these days...

3. .45's and .38's

So the moisture problem isnt a issue with this safe? I plan on keeping it in their for a while. It looks like a pretty good safe. Anybody else considering getting this.

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Portable gun safes and light weight rifle safes that can easily be lifted are good for keeping small children away form guns that's about it from my perspective.

For theft prevention they are worse than no safe in my eyes as they are easier to find than stashed guns and they make a nice convenient container for the criminals to carry all your guns away in!

5. .45's and .38's

How I see it is, this will be better than the doskosport hard case, that I am currently using. + this can hide better. Rusting is all im worried about.

6. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

I've had no moisture problems in the little bi-mart safe, no. It was my bigger one that drowned my poor 1911. No much in the way of lining or what not to hold moisture in the little guy, but some dessicant packets couldn't hurt.

Seems to me that one of these guya bolted to some studs is definately a step up from a hard case or what not. Not burglar proof, but burglar resistant anyway.

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

If your worried about rust don't leave a gun in a vehicle for days! And clean and lube it often. That said for what it is I'm certain it will serve it's purpose fine as long as you don't leave it in your car or otherwise outside where the temps and humidity changes will cause it to draw moisture and rust. If you want to keep a gun in your car and have it not rust. Put it in there in the morning and take it out at night and lube it up as necessary.

8. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

hf has 2 small safes on sale
    one is 20 and one is 35
    maybe check them out first

9. .45's and .38's

HF? Harbor Freight?

10. candyman

yes sry

11. .45's and .38's

And is this a Gun safe.......Not a safe for just money & papers & such..

12. candyman

13. candyman

14. .45's and .38's

Thanks for the help. I went ahead & got it. It is a nice safe.

15. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

sry = ? :D

16. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that certain fireproof linings can attract and hold moisture, especially if stored in an unheated location for a time. Then when moved inside, they start sweating inside the safe from that lining. I've heard horror stories about that.

I haven't heard any rust stories from things in file cabinets, simple single wall metal "safes," etc.

If I used a safe like the simple one, I'd bring it home and leave the door of it open until it warmed up to room temperature, though. If it's cold and damp from the car, and then goes right inside the house with it's door closed... ??

$.02

17. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Go big, or go home. JK.

If you do get a small little safe please make sure you bolt it to a stud.

18. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I see you went a head and bought it, Was this for theft protection or child protection?

19. .45's and .38's

I dont live with children & im pretty sure I can keep it hidden. I was going to buy a double wide rifle hard case. So I can keep my handgun/rifle & accessories in it. But I saw the small safe. I've never owned one before. It is nicely made. Way better than a hard case. I know for sure someone could get into this with a little banging & grinding.

20. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

Save up a couple hundred at least and start shopping for a decent "real" safe. You'll be glad you did.