JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a word to the wise...

Beware the purchase of a reloading press/kit from Wholesale Sports. They are careless in putting crap back on the shelves when they should be returned to the vendor.

Here's my tale.....

Last Thursday (July 8), I went to the Vancouver, WA store to purchase a Hornady Lock N Load AP press. I did so with several other items including shell plates, book and dies.

When I got home, the lnl bushings were missing as well as who knows what else. No manual, no other info or warranty card. Took it back the next day (1st return 50+ mile round trip). Store said they did not have another in stock but that the Lacy, WA store had 3. They called, verified the bushings were there and we worked out that they would pay for the shipping to my home for a "new" press.

Fast forward 5 days. Received the "new" press Wednesday (July 14) via Fed Ex. Opened it and the manual was there. So were warranty cards and some other lit. Everything else was jumbled in the package in the press compartment. That included the powder measure UNDER the press. Needless to say when I examined the powder measure there were scores in the mechanism.

Called the hunting manager. All he could do was to offer me a $10 in store credit and take the press back. Slap a customer in the face time, eh?

I bundled it all back up, took the other items that I had purchased at the store and bee-lined it back to return the crap again (2nd 50+ mile round trip). When I got there the hunting dept manager at least understood and felt bad that he was limited in what he could offer. Of course they could re-order the item from another store (are you kidding me?) but no ability to directly ship from Hornady (which would have satisfied me as I then had a line to the shop). But, they were blaming Lacy, Hornady and anyone but themselves.

So I was returning the crap and asked to speak to the manager. So sorry, but only could give me $25 gift card.

So, maybe I am being a little too sensitive but I left the store without the 2nd slap in the face but with my CC credited and a pissed off ex-customer. So, unless it is something that I just happen to need and it is a single item in its own packaging that Wholesale Sports cannot open, there is no way I will purchase from them again.

I also recommend you don't either. The treatment I received was more than pathetic for a customer that had spent $600+ at that time and was going to be spending more.

BEWARE WHOLESALE SPORTS in any city is my warning to you.

Sodbuster

PS -- there is a good side to this story that will come in the next post and after I receive the goods from Hornady.

Just as a disclaimer to keep everyone else happy as well. This is MY OPINION and does not reflect the opinion of NWFA or of anyone else except for my wife and her's is stronger than mine.

:)
Sod

I've pretty much stopped going there. There are one or two guys in the hunting/firearms department that kind of know what they are talking about and the rest of them just take up space behind the counter.

the people that work there dont know anything about guns.. I went there one time and asked to see a ruger sr9, I told him I had no intention on buying it I just wanted to see how it felt. so after checking it out I asked if they had anything in Ruger .45 in stock and was told and I quote "Ruger has never in history made any pistols in any caliber other than 9mm" I said thanks and never looked back.

I agree and disagree, If one guy does not know they usually ask another to help them. I also have found that I end up asking for specific help if I can't find wsgat I want/need. At least that has been my experince.
I also call before going and ask about what I want to know about becuase it is either a 50 mile round trip from home or a 75 miile trip going home from work. but when I do the long one I always pop into cabelas.
I have mixed reviews on thier customer service, but I have been there enoug to know at least by sight which guy to work with.

While things like this do happen, it may just be something the store employees didn't know to look for, someone may have returned it and didn't say it was broken, or maybe they did and the employees thought he was lying and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Either way I don't shop there because their prices are ridiculous.

I've pretty much stopped going there. There are one or two guys in the hunting/firearms department that kind of know what they are talking about and the rest of them just take up space behind the counter.

Same here for me on the Vancouver store. It looked to me like they let the old knowledgeable help go and now have people that just hand you stuff. As far as ammo and firearms it's hard to beat Mike at Brightwater and he's just down the street.

just say'n

Wow sorry to hear about the bad experience some of you have had...I shop the Salem store and although they have had a hardtime getting stock from time to time. I have had pretty good service from them, however I have to admit I order most of my stuff from Midway.

I shop at the 82nd ave store and have never had a problem, I have bought several items from there with no regrets. I found the staff to be very helpful (at least the guys I have talked to) I'm sure , like every store, there are some who are there just for a paycheck.....

I have shopped at the one on 82nd quite a few times and have always walked away happy with their customer service.

There was only one time which I barely was rubbed the wrong way; a snot nose kid (around 18 or so) tried to give me gun lessons on a AR because of his infinite experience in the military. He was so proud of his knowledge and being in the military, that I let him give me a lesson. I never told him my experience, but I truly believe that I have more years in theater than he had months in service...

Now for the one in Salem, I cannot honestly tell you if that is a Sportsman's Warehouse or Wholesales Sports (they all look the same), but the guys there seem really nice the two times I have shopped there recently?

My $.02

When I had the issues with Wholesale, I also emailed/called Hornady. During the first 2 disaster's with Wholesale, they said they would replace what was wrong. But there wasn't anything right about the presses and packaging (who could know what was wrong when you could not see what might have been an issue until 6 months or so later). For instance, neither of the powder measures were packaged with any packing that comes from the factory.

After the 2nd return when I was ready to just write off Hornady and returned ALL the other parts I had also purchased, a manager from Hornady called me. He listened to the problem descriptions and my high level of frustration.

Then he asked if the solution was salvageable. I told him that in my last email to Hornady, I was 1/4 step from going with another press (I had been researching Dillon before and was that close to ordering a 550B). Instead, Hornady turned it around, gave me a great deal (not a $25 gift certificate) that not only kept me in the "family" but also compensated me for the time/effort/frustration that was not really their fault.

That's the effort that I was looking for from Wholesale Sports. A direct shipment from Hornady would have been an excellent first step. But that did NOT happen and could not with the limitations placed on the stores by corporate. And corporate from Wholesale solidified my disgust by saying, "The Store Manager along with the Hunting Manager were trying to help compensate you for any time and troubles by offering what they are able to do based on our limits which I apologize you feel was not enough compensation."

After the amount of time I had invested in trying to solve the problem from my end and receiving just a "sorry" in return, that's an issue.

As I said previously, for something that is needed and is local AND is a single item package (powder, primers -- you know stuff they can't screw up) I'll use them when I cannot find from any other source. But for a large purchase like a press or anything else, why take the chance? I'll go elsewhere.

Hornady knows what customer support is about. They do recognize that a single purchase of a press is just the beginning. Kind of like an inkjet printer. It's the following purchases that earn you the money. Hornady still has a ways to go with me, but they have made an EXCELLLENT start in making amends :s0155:. Wholesale Sports ....:s0154:

Oh and the press ordered from Hornady? Came packaged as I would expect from any vendor/retailer. Good equipment deserves that level of care. I appreciate that.

Sod

Oh, I have been to the 82nd store as well. Nice people. Wish they would have had the Hornady AP presses. Would have been closer and might have received better product and service. But I will always have that doubt in a BIG way. As everyone knows you should treat your customers as they deserve not like a cash cow or ATM.

Sod

Sod:
Sorry to hear your horror story but it's not uncommon for customers to open boxes and fondle/steal the little parts they need.

That said, retailers can do stuff to minimize the customer fondling/stealing and many do.

I have worked at one of these big box sports stores and you would not believe what customers do to merchandise on the shelf.

If I cannot find a box that is still factory sealed (not resealed) I do not buy it.

Just sayin'
Tilos

I have mixed feelings about the store. I got a fantastic deal on a new GP100 this spring. The new price was as low as what I was seeing used. I also got the 49th ed. Lyman manual 1/2 off. There are occasionally huge discounts that keep me coming in.
The guys behind the counter vary in knowledge, but friendly.

Regarding reloading components and ammo - their inventory is spotty at best. BUT, I live very close to the Federal Way store, and if/when they have powder/primers I need it's much more convenient than bulk shipping with hazmat fees.

Personally I prefer Cabelas for general reloading components, but Lacey is a good deal further for me.

shopping at Wholesale is not much different than shopping any other retail store.Those behind the counter are as different in personalitites as those in front of the counter.You may get good help,and the help may get a friendly decent customer.
or maybe not.luck of the draw.
One problem is ,corporate sets the rules and policies,and most times the local managers' hands are tied beyond a certain point.that's retai.
been in it for 30 years.

I am glad that Hornady came through with flying colors,they ususally do,and that is a very good thing.

my DIL is farily high up at the vancouver store,I'll get her to read this thread and maybe get to discuss it with her bosses to see what might have done better.

shopping at Wholesale is not much different than shopping any other retail store. (snip)....One problem is ,corporate sets the rules and policies,and most times the local managers' hands are tied beyond a certain point.that's retai.
been in it for 30 years.

I am glad that Hornady came through with flying colors,they ususally do,and that is a very good thing.

my DIL is farily high up at the vancouver store,I'll get her to read this thread and maybe get to discuss it with her bosses to see what might have done better.

Not sure what a DIL is but good luck.

My main beef with Wholesale is not that they are a retail store. Been shopping at big stores buying some large items for quite a few years.

My beef was that the boxes they had, had been opened and messed with. Original shipping/packing removed and the parts returned willy nilly. Then to top that off, they put packages that were missing parts BACK on the shelves and tried to pass those off as NEW.

Had that happen to me before too. But was then guaranteed that I would get a good box and I did. In this case, they couldn't even make the effort and corporate has so tied their hands they couldn't make it right either.

I know there are problems with any retail store, EVEN the good ones. But, this was beyond reason. It was damaging to Hornady's rep (they fixed that one) and theirs.

The end result is I found out who cared about their reputation and the customers happiness. It twern't Wholesale Sports. :s0154:

It was Hornady -- big thumbs up to them. :s0166:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads