JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased some 9mm 115grn bullets from bayou bullets. It took several months to get my order. The bullets were over size. I called emailed several times. I got zero response. So I left a poor review. This had to have been a year ago. I finally got a response from the owner today.

Screenshot_20220627-164331_Gmail.jpg

I've used Bayou Bullets about two years ago and, while it took several months, the result was good and the email response was pleasant. I haven't used them lately, but it sounds like they have gone off the deep end during COVID. This attitude could spell the end of customer service, and I won't be using them again.

Thanks for making this info available.

Don't believe I've ever purchased bayou.

Thanks for posting up your experience though.

-Amidst the heavy portion of this blight, I went with DGbullets.

Pretty much because their order fulfillment & ship times were the shortest of everywhere I looked (for coated lead).

Then they took there operation offline for a while due to a coating problem. Bad lot or lots? Forget.

Anyways they have since gone back online. Recommend.

Thanks for the heads up, glad they were backordered the last time I needed some. I think I got my last9mm batch from D&G, I've used Bad Man previously too.
Kimberlin Creek, and Steel Valley Casting are GTG too

I don't think the problem is with the .357" measurement of the bullet . but it with your knowledge of loading 9mm . I think that Bayou bullets probably guessed that, also .

The illusion of problem of Diam. in using/loading between a .355 or a .357 out your 9mm chamber and barrel is laughable.
For example... Here is a pic. of my Mic. diam of one of Eyebrow hairs .. it is a whopping.. ( .004" Diam. ) .

eyebrow hair.jpg

I don't think the problem is with the .357" measurement of the bullet . but it with your knowledge of loading 9mm . I think that Bayou bullets probably guessed that, also .
Never had any luck with .357 sized bullets in 38 Super or 9mm. The .356 sized HAP Hornady bullets were made for 38 Super and not recommended for 9mm according to many. They work fine in my Super but .357's are a clear no-go. I'm sure they will work with some barrels fine, but their response is pretty crappy. It doesn't take much to spike pressures with 9mm into dangerous levels (such as using data for a .355 bullet and it is really a .357). Why be so presumptive (the bullet company that is)? I'm still learning about reloading...but I have been at it since '78.

Never had any luck with .357 sized bullets in 38 Super or 9mm. The .356 sized HAP Hornady bullets were made for 38 Super and not recommended for 9mm according to many. They work fine in my Super but .357's are a clear no-go. I'm sure they will work with some barrels fine, but their response is pretty crappy. It doesn't take much to spike pressures with 9mm into dangerous levels (such as using data for a .355 bullet and it is really a .357). Why be so presumptive (the bullet company that is)? I'm still learning about reloading...but I have been at it since '78.
LOL... I been loading just as many years as you , and I never had problems with running 357 Diam. out factory 9mm's from glocks to beretta . We are NOT talking about running the edge like 9mm major . I am more than sure , we are only talking about just loading normal pressures for 9mm with the OP's slander of a bullet makers business .
The OP problems look to be little more than the .002 difference in bullet Diam. . as loading 9mm is easy doable for most .

It is common with commercial casters to use bullet molds that produce a bullet with a tighter radius ogive. They need to be seated deeper to pass the plunk test. Otherwise you will get the bullet jammed in the throat.

They can become cocky when they are backordered on everything. But, ya know, they'll be caught uo at some point and then notice that sales are dropping off. Only small business bullets I have bought recently were some .312 100gr. RNFP by Missouri Bullet Co. Nice powder coated bullets that I got from Duck Creek Sporting Goods in Colo.

LOL... I been loading just as many years as you , and I never had problems with running 357 Diam. out factory 9mm's from glocks to beretta . We are NOT talking about running the edge like 9mm major . I am more than sure , we are only talking about just loading normal pressures for 9mm with the OP's slander of a bullet makers business .
The OP problems look to be little more than the .002 difference in bullet Diam. . as loading 9mm is easy doable for most .
I personally don't think of it a slander if he ordered .355 or .356 and received a different size, tried to email on multiple occasions and received no reply, and then had a snarky comment to his review a year after posting. I'm sure many load .357's fine. Guessing my M&P's would eat them with no issues as they will feed empty cases. Pressure is always a consideration with 9mm as even extremely small seating distances can spike pressures; my preference, only mine, is to watch other aspects, like bullet diameter, closely when loading for this round. Enjoy learning from others here and I know there are new reloaders watching.

I personally don't think of it a slander if he ordered .355 or .356 and received a different size, tried to email on multiple occasions and received no reply, and then had a snarky comment to his review a year after posting. I'm sure many load .357's fine. Guessing my M&P's would eat them with no issues as they will feed empty cases. Pressure is always a consideration with 9mm as even extremely small seating distances can spike pressures; my preference, only mine, is to watch other aspects, like bullet diameter, closely when loading for this round. Enjoy learning from others here and I know there are new reloaders watching.
Oh I'm sure they'll be fine! Demeaning and belittling people that had poor service and bullets that weren't the spec they ordered? Ish. At least they'll have their base customers to keep their business alive! Maybe.
Never heard of such shoddy business practice.

Almost every 9mm I have needs at least .357 for cast coated bullets. The rule of thumb for cast bullets is a minimum of one thousandth over jacketed bullet diameter which would put you at .356 my glocks need .357 and my cz barrels slug at .3565 so they tend to do best with .358 projectiles.

Loading procedures are a little different for cast bullets than for jacketed you will usually see a spot where the full diameter bearing surface steps down to the nose diameter and you will most likely need to load short enough that this bearing surface is all enclosed in the case. A case gauge or a plunk test becomes a necessity when loading cast bullets you can't just duplicate a factory load like you can with jacketed bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top