JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I think you should expect a product to be "new" when you pay full price, I think it sounds like they did all they could do to resolve the problem and a $25 gift card for your troubles seemed quite reasonable to me.

Um... didn't you purchase a product in a previously opened box? Why not just return it and request/wait for a new sealed box to be delivered.

Buyer beware and all that. Consumers have to assume some responsibility for their purchases.

Um... didn't you purchase a product in a previously opened box? Why not just return it and request/wait for a new sealed box to be delivered.

Buyer beware and all that. Consumers have to assume some responsibility for their purchases.

Sorry, I did not know the boxes had been opened until I got them home or they were shipped to me. The boxes were sealed at the store (tape on the outside keeping the top/lid/box intact). These were not sold as "demo" units or as "open boxes". They were sold as NEW.

Read the posts again. First box, I examined and saw the tape. I didn't put that tape there and had no reason to expect that the box was anything but unopened. The 2nd box was shipped from another store. I had to depend upon their assurances that this was a "new" box/product and except for checking the parts was also unopened.

So, I did my part. I was looking for Wholesale to do theirs. After all, I had spent the time to attempt to make it right. Driven from Hillsboro to Vancouver to get the press I wanted. And then had to do it 3 times. (initial then 1st return then 2nd return). A trip that takes on average 45 minutes to get to the store and ditto home, deserves something more than a "gee, sorry" and a $25 gift certificate which is worthless outside the store.

Sorry, we'll disagree about the offered compensation. My whole point in this posting is to say caveat emptor. Do your homework, and then check the box before you leave the store if you want to trade there.

Myself? My money goes further with people who do understand the customer relationship.

Sod

I've used the Vancouver store, mostly for ammo, but also bought a Taurus Millenium pistol that my wife is happy with. Steve, at the firearms counter, told me that they seem to have a hard time getting the high-volumn demand types of ammo - he blamed it on the owner's policies.

Anyway, though I haven't bought from them yet, I've had Midsouth Shooter's Supply recommended (a competitor to Midway).

Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry, I did not know the boxes had been opened until I got them home or they were shipped to me. The boxes were sealed at the store (tape on the outside keeping the top/lid/box intact). These were not sold as "demo" units or as "open boxes". They were sold as NEW.

Read the posts again. First box, I examined and saw the tape. I didn't put that tape there and had no reason to expect that the box was anything but unopened. The 2nd box was shipped from another store. I had to depend upon their assurances that this was a "new" box/product and except for checking the parts was also unopened.

So, I did my part. I was looking for Wholesale to do theirs. After all, I had spent the time to attempt to make it right. Driven from Hillsboro to Vancouver to get the press I wanted. And then had to do it 3 times. (initial then 1st return then 2nd return). A trip that takes on average 45 minutes to get to the store and ditto home, deserves something more than a "gee, sorry" and a $25 gift certificate which is worthless outside the store.

Sorry, we'll disagree about the offered compensation. My whole point in this posting is to say caveat emptor. Do your homework, and then check the box before you leave the store if you want to trade there.

Myself? My money goes further with people who do understand the customer relationship.

Sod

I was not aware they had re-packaged the product and presented it to you as factory-sealed, unopened. That is unsuitable and somewhat deceitful. :(

Just out of curiosity, and understanding that I don't necessarily disagree with you, what were you looking for in compensation? I get the deal with you being pissed about the problems with the boxes, that's understandable. But what were you expecting that they'd offer you beyond the $25 gift card? No sarcasm, no judging, just curiosity...

Just out of curiosity, and understanding that I don't necessarily disagree with you, what were you looking for in compensation? I get the deal with you being pissed about the problems with the boxes, that's understandable. But what were you expecting that they'd offer you beyond the $25 gift card? No sarcasm, no judging, just curiosity...

After the 2nd box, what I was really hoping for and would have been fine with was the $25 and a direct shipment from Hornady. That way I knew Wholesale did not have their grubby claws on the box. Refusing to do that raised the price considerably. I don't know what would have made me happy with them at that point, but my main issue is, they didn't even really try.

Geez, they could have dropped a pound of power and 250 bullets in my lap that would have been a start or they could have offered a set of dies I didn't have. I was also not going to fall into a trap of naming my price up front. But without the direct ship, honestly, I was already gone.

Had Hornady not turned me around, I would have already purchased a Dillon and been happy with the product. But they did.

Shame of Wholesale corporate for not allowing their managers more lee-way in trying to solve problems. But, that in itself goes to show they are not interested so much in solving problems as there will be another shmoe along to buy. So why invest in service when things DO go wrong?

Sod

This is just working as a retail manager, but most companies have a minimum order requirement. This is just a hypothetical but they may have to purchase $10,000 dollars worth of the re-loaders to be able to get their contracted price from Hornady. For my business I usually have to place a minimum order of 25 pieces to get them to ship and even then I have to order over 75 to get them at a reasonably rate(or approx $18,000). If I was in the same situation I couldn't have a product drop shipped to the customers home, the factories just won't authorize it. We in the retail establishment are often at the whims of our suppliers and their policies. The other thing is you can choose where you shop and where you live and you can't hold the retailer accountable for your distance traveled. If you drove out there to get a lower price or immediate gratification then (and now you are well aware) part of the risk you take is that if things don't go well you have to drive all the way back(or you can contact the manufacturer for the missing and or/damaged components). The one thing I have learned from this post is if I have to travel a distance I consider far-away I will open the product in my vehicle and make sure all is well before heading home.

A trip that takes on average 45 minutes to get to the store and ditto home, deserves something more than a "gee, sorry" and a $25 gift certificate which is worthless outside the store.

No it doesnt.
But, for arguments sake, what exactly do you think they should have done for you to make it right?

Did you honestly think they'd risk their jobs or change their corporate policy just for you?
Did you take your frustration out on the pee-on counter boys? Any calls to the corporate headquarters?

Geez, they could have dropped a pound of power and 250 bullets in my lap that would have been a start or they could have offered a set of dies I didn't have. I was also not going to fall into a trap of naming my price up front. But without the direct ship, honestly, I was already gone.

Well that's asinine.
And you wonder why they werent risking their jobs to make you happy..... :s0112:

Hornady knows what customer support is about. They do recognize that a single purchase of a press is just the beginning. Kind of like an inkjet printer. It's the following purchases that earn you the money. Hornady still has a ways to go with me, but they have made an EXCELLLENT start in making amends :s0155:. Wholesale Sports ....:s0154:

There's your mistake. Lets use your printer analogy. Staples sells you the printer knowing you can buy cartridges anywhere. It's the manufacturer that sinks their hook into you. If you buy a HP printer at staples, you can buy hp ink cartidges anywhere.... You are now reliant on the manufacturer regardless of the store you shop at. The store doesnt care what brand you buy and they arent in it for the long-term peripherals.
It's a simple risk/reward scenario. Hornady knows that you are reliant on their peripherals, regardless of the store you buy them at. Wholesale sports knows that customers might go there to buy the press, but can get the peripherals from anywhere. They have no incentive to lose money to make you happy.

No it doesnt.
But, for arguments sake, what exactly do you think they should have done for you to make it right?

Did you honestly think they'd risk their jobs or change their corporate policy just for you?
Did you take your frustration out on the pee-on counter boys? Any calls to the corporate headquarters?

Not going to play that game with you "NiceGuy". They didn't even try. They followed the corporate line (I found that out at the time). READ the previous posts to see what would have made me happy.

And then get off your high and mighty -- cause YOU don't know ME. You also weren't there.

Yup, you weren't there to see me talk to the hunting manager and store manager -- leave the "pee-on's" out of it. It WASN'T their fault. Of course I called AND emailed corporate. Want to see their reply? Oh, and you also didn't see me thank the hunting manager and shake his hand for trying to help.

I also did NOT use foul language or call their parentage or even corporate's parentage into question.

BECAUSE corporate limited their ability, because they could NOT guarantee that the next "new" box I would receive shipped from some other Wholesale would be actually new in the factory packing, I walked away with my business and money.

And you wonder why they werent risking their jobs to make you happy..... :s0112:
Oh, BTW, I didn't ask them to risk their jobs. So, take the holier than thou attitude and I do understand there is a place in Kansas where the sun don't shine, you might want to consider visiting there with that attitude.

Me? I'm over it with Wholesale. Like I said, I'll buy simple stuff there. They do have powder from time to time and actual bullets. But another press or anything that isn't shrink wrapped, nah. Don't have the time or the willingness to put forth that effort.

Like I said, there are other stores and businesses that will work with a customer and don't put returned merchandise that has not been verified or rob the boxes on the shelf of parts and then re-seal them and sell them as new. And that's the point. Business needs to conduct their business right. Verify the returns. Don't rob new boxes for parts for a customer and then put it back on the shelf.

And, like someone else said. On purchases like that, I'll make sure I open the item before I leave the store. It is a sad day when we accept that level of customer service as the norm though. We as consumers and the retailer as a businessperson should take more pride than that.

(oh and your version of the printer analogy -- falls flat. In this neck of the woods, you ARE limited where you can go to get supplies for reloading. You can find them but they are at no means everywhere unlike printer cartridges. And the point of the printer analogy was for the manufacturer. Hornady would be selling me shell plates, potentially adding on case feeders, bullet feeder, a single stage press, etc as add ons to this purchase. Since we are limited locally where we could go, Wholesale lost out on those purchases as well. Because myself, I could have purchased the parts on-line cheaper. What I was also looking for was a local store that could answer questions and to form a relationship with -- NOT to make a one-time purchase only).

Want to see their reply? Oh, and you also didn't see me thank the hunting manager and shake his hand for trying to help.

I'd love to see their reply. You should have posted it earlier.

And while shaking the managers hand, you're stabbing him in the back with the other by going out of your way to affect his livelihood to the best of your ability.
I dont see you on here trying to get people to write corporate so they'll change their policy... Just trying to get people to avoid the business all together and exacerbate an already unpleasant situation.

I dont like to throw around the term two-faced... but it just describes you so darned well.

I agree you had a bad trip with Wholesale. They no doubt did some things wrong and based on the problem you had with the opened boxes, I might very well stay away from them as well if I were you. Glad you had better luck with Hornady. I have had similar experiences with Dillon, as they seem to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

That being said, it isn't really reasonable from either a corporate or store level to expect the powder, bullets, or dies. You have every right to expect to get what you buy, and are quite possibly correct in avoiding them for that. But I guess I would accept a $25 gift card (which is a pound of powder in most cases) as a pretty decent "we screwed up and we are trying to make it right" apology. Just my opinion, and that's not worth much to you at this point.

Good luck in your reloading. Have fun with it. :)

I agree you had a bad trip with Wholesale. They no doubt did some things wrong and based on the problem you had with the opened boxes, I might very well stay away from them as well if I were you. Glad you had better luck with Hornady. I have had similar experiences with Dillon, as they seem to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

That being said, it isn't really reasonable from either a corporate or store level to expect the powder, bullets, or dies. You have every right to expect to get what you buy, and are quite possibly correct in avoiding them for that. But I guess I would accept a $25 gift card (which is a pound of powder in most cases) as a pretty decent "we screwed up and we are trying to make it right" apology. Just my opinion, and that's not worth much to you at this point.

Good luck in your reloading. Have fun with it. :)

Thanks Bear. Appreciate that.

I'd love to see their reply. You should have posted it earlier.

And while shaking the managers hand, you're stabbing him in the back with the other by going out of your way to affect his livelihood to the best of your ability.
I dont see you on here trying to get people to write corporate so they'll change their policy... Just trying to get people to avoid the business all together and exacerbate an already unpleasant situation.

I dont like to throw around the term two-faced... but it just describes you so darned well.

Troll. Just looking to cause trouble.

We can agree to disagree. But my thanks to the hunting manager was sincere. My animosity to corporate and store management is another thing entirely.

As such, I can thank someone for trying to help me. That does not absolve corporate or the store management of their failure to provide even a modicum of quality control for what they put on the shelves. Hence my posts.

Also, notice my posts about Hornady. They did go the extra mile to help a disgruntled customer. Did they give me the farm? No. Did they have advantages that Wholesale does not? Absolutely regarding their products.

Again, take a look at what would have made me happy BEFORE I returned the press and supplies and washed my hands of those purchases.

1) a guarantee that the press shipped would be in factory packaging. In reality, that should NOT be that onerous a request.

can't give that (they could not)

2) a direct shipment of the press from Hornady. While I understand the minimum order issue (from another poster), I also understand that a retailer can request things that a customer could not.

Not being able to do either. Problem. Walk away calmly -- problem solved. Post about my experience to warn others, good for them to see and be prepared if they do business with a company like that.

Exchange emails with corporate that NEVER address the underlying issue of crap on the shelves as new, completely unacceptable.

As always, you are welcome to your opinion.

Sod :cool:

I'll continue shopping and buying my RCBS components from Salem Wholesale Sports Or Midway

I get great service from both and if I have a problem with it... RCBS will replace it no questions asked

Hornady makes great bullets....Period

I went to Wholesale Sports last week here in Kennewick, WA. I was looking to purchase a fair amount of ammo, their prices are way over the top!!! I wanted some .223 their price was a $100 more than a store a 1/2mile away. I looked at their camping gear, way over priced-no wholesell prices at Wholesell Sports!!

I have to get on your band wagon about that store, slightly different experience but here it is. Awhile ago I went to their Spokane store with the intention of buying a Glock from them. While talking with the guy at the gun counter, I asked if there were any discounts for active duty military...... he said that not only is there not a discount but I was "required" to show them a copy of my orders saying I was stationed in Washington or he could not sell me a firearm. This would not normally be a problem if I was not a Washington resident..... thing is I am a resident (have been for 25 odd years now) I have a Washington DL and also have a concealed permit for Washington. I showed the guy my DL and permit, all he said was that it did not matter that I was a resident and had a permit!!! I was military so I could leave the state the very next day with the handgun..........:s0112: was the excuse that he gave me, well no s*&# Sherlock I could do that even if I wasn't in the military! Anyways I asked for the manager and he told me that it was what his manager told him to tell me.:huh:

Same problem here bought a fishing reel on aug 11'th, guy told me I have 30 days to try it out and see if I like it so I did , but I didnt like it so aug 23'rd I brought it in so I could buy an even more expensive reel, and the jerks in the fishing dept wouldent take it back! Wont buy fishing gear or firearms there again, my dad also had a problem with them when he bought a malfunctional taurus 24/7 from them .

I shop at the 82nd ave store and have never had a problem, I have bought several items from there with no regrets. I found the staff to be very helpful (at least the guys I have talked to) I'm sure , like every store, there are some who are there just for a paycheck.....

I have to agree with the above...sorry about the poor experiance that others have had.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top