JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The fake gold scam is going on in the PNW right now. Last week, I was loading up some building materials in the parking lot at Home Depot. A dusky guy who barely spoke English stopped his white SUV behind my vehicle and said, "Wanna buy some gold? I need money." Whereupon he held out a ring, a kind of fattish one like a class ring that would've had a lot of gold in it. I could see at a glance that it had a carat mark inside the band but I didn't look closely. I told him I wasn't interested. Then he showed me a fancy watch on his wrist and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I declined. I like gold, but I tend to think when something like this happens, it's bound to fall into the "too good to be true category."

Today, I saw this article online:

The "good Samaritan" angle is, the scammers get people to stop and help them. They tell their victims they need money and will give them their jewelry in return. Which is fake.

I guess it's been going on for a while but my experience in the parking lot was my first exposure to it.
One day a guy came into our warehouse offering up a fabulous deal on a couple of diamond rings. Creating an aura of mystery, and getting imaginations working, he said, I will be honest with you. I didn't buy these."
The center stones on these rings were quite large.
He was less than pleased when I scribed a large X into the face of each of the two "diamonds" with the blade of a carbide paint scraper. (Carbide will Cleave a diamond, but not scratch it)
đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

No,
If you really want the real deals you need to watch late night coat hanger TV.

You can get a genuine US fifty Dollar gold piece proof made in the Cook Islands for just $ 19.95 +s/h.
One of my gripes has been with full page ads in local newspapers for highly misleading offers for supposedly rare coins. These ads contain a lot of puffery to promote a product that isn't nearly as valuable as claimed. I realize that the print journalism business is on the skids, and it must be very hard for a paper to turn down paid ad revenue for a full page ad. But it doesn't sit well with me that it results, mainly, in the elderly getting bilked.

I knew a guy who put ads in the paper selling "spurious coins" which he bought in bulk. He said he made a couple hundred dollars a month at it. We did not hang out.

Next time tell him to check Google maps or the internet. Gold buyers are everywhere.

I can hear it now, "But you can save me the drive and I'll sell it to you for 1/4 of what it's worth". I Flippin hate scammers.

View attachment 1371187
I have a great distaste for the scammers too but, it gets hard to feel bad for the victims any more. Scammers are only out there because there seems to be no end to rubes willing to be taken. With everyone carrying info in their pocket its hard to feel bad for those still insisting on getting conned.

Sorry to go off topic. Last time.
That doesn't quite follow. The Hungarians are Magyars, a group that migrated to Europe from the western Siberia/Ural Mountain area and settled on the Hungarian Plain in the 9th century. The Roma are nomads from the Indian sub-continent who arrived in Europe around the 14th century. They are not associated with any particular nation state.
From my research, the Romani's in Hungry were seriously discriminated against. And still in the early 20th century. Grand mother had a strong accent and probably came to this country before dad was born in 1920. Dad's dad died when he was young. They likely could have been fleeing the ongoing discrimination. Who wouldn't?

Dad use to tell me the Gypsies didn't/couldn't grow good beards. Places on the face where the hair doesn't grow well. I have a beard and thin hair in those places. :D So did dad.

I have a great distaste for the scammers too but, it gets hard to feel bad for the victims any more. Scammers are only out there because there seems to be no end to rubes willing to be taken. With everyone carrying info in their pocket its hard to feel bad for those still insisting on getting conned.
I swear people are getting dumber all the time. So called "Educated" people! That went to college, and got "Degrees" for hell sakes!!!

I bought tamales out of a van in a parking lot, once.
Used to be and old black man that sold special tamales out of a camper sitting in the back of a pick-up parked in a vacant corner lot here in NE Portland. Any one that spent much time in this part of the city knew about "Louzanna Ed's Tamales".

Used to be and old black man that sold special tamales out of a camper sitting in the back of a pick-up parked in a vacant corner lot here in NE Portland. Any one that spent much time in this part of the city knew about "Louzanna Ed's Tamales".
When I lived in the SW used to often buy green corn tamales from local women. Made well they were to die for and were one hell of a lot of work to do. Really miss them and the hand made flour tortillas. Used to see women making them outside with a fire. Damn they were good!

When I lived in the SW used to often buy green corn tamales from local women. Made well they were to die for and were one hell of a lot of work to do. Really miss them and the hand made flour tortillas. Used to see women making them outside with a fire. Damn they were good!
We've made tamales before. The real thing! Talk about a PITA! Wifey works with some people that will toss a half dozen to us a couple times a year. If you like Mexican food. Tamale's are the God of it all.

Thinking about this some more. I've never seen anyone, highways or otherwise, selling fake gold. But, to be prepared, should I keep some counterfeit bills in my car for just these occasions?

RE : Post #22
What looks like Diamonds??

Today (06-13-2023) I received a USPS FIRST-CLASS PKG that was unsolicited. The Return Address read....

Shipping Dept
6303 Seven seas Ave
Bakersfield CA 93308

Yup.....it was correctly addressed to "yours truly.

USPS Tracking # on the label read #9200 1903 2183 1865 xxxx xx
I have removed the last 6 numbers. So, you won't waste your time searching. I looked it up at the USPS Tracking site. BUT, But, but....there was no tracking information on the package. USPS said/claimed that the number was "counterfeit postage".

Alrrright.....here we go.
USPS is already losing tons of money. And yet, they end up delivering, "counterfeit postage/stamped packages/mail"? Hello? Anyone at the US Postal Inspector's Office investigating this? Do they even care?

Anyway....I opened the package and there was no invoice. Inside was a small ring style jewelry case, certificate and what looked like a plastic credit card/registration card. The case contained a "white metal looking clear stoned ring". For simplicity sake.....I'll just say it's like a Fake Diamond Ring. The Certificate was issued by the Global Gemological Research Academy. Call it GRA for short. Note: it's NOT the real GIA folks. Even though the "certificate" inside looks like a real GIA one. WOW.....according to the certificate, I had received a real 1.00 carat "Moissanite" ring. As for the metal ring. Yeah....looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. So.....

LOL....even got a number associated with the "fake diamond" and the card urged me to scan the QR Code and register the jewel.

Rrrrrright.....I should work on that really soon. NOT.

More searching on the Internet revealed, complaints and warnings that it's a scam.

Probably from some CHINESE COMPANY (read as: The CCP). BUT, But, but....I'm only speculating. That being said.....I feel.....that it's perhaps, linked to an item (tools) that I attempted to actually purchase off of an ad found/linked on several YouTube channels. You know....the ads that come on before the actual video plays.

Anyway.....that purchase went badly. I waited for 3 weeks for delivery and it never came. I ended up getting the charge back via the CC company. Then, one day later (after I notified the seller's company) they also credited back my CC for the full purchase price. I guess.....I'll need to wait. For the next shoe to drop. Rrrrright......unauthorized charges. BUT, to be fair....I'll need to contact the CC company to let them know. But they know already that the charge had been "recalled" by the same seller. BUT then....maybe not? Because, the seller uses different IDs under the seller's account with the CC company.

Anyway.....BEWARE.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....what about the ring?

Yeah.....well....there is THAT POSTAL REGULATION. Sooo....

Last Edited:

Today (06-13-2023) I received a USPS FIRST-CLASS PKG that was unsolicited. The Return Address read....

Shipping Dept
6303 Seven seas Ave
Bakersfield CA 93308

Yup.....it was correctly addressed to "yours truly.

USPS Tracking # on the label read #9200 1903 2183 1865 xxxx xx
I have removed the last 6 numbers. So, you won't waste your time searching. I looked it up at the USPS Tracking site. BUT, But, but....there was no tracking information on the package. USPS said/claimed that the number was "counterfeit postage".

Alrrright.....here we go.
USPS is already losing tons of money. And yet, they end up delivering, "counterfeit postage/stamped packages/mail"? Hello? Anyone at the US Postal Inspector's Office investigating this? Do they even care?

Anyway....I opened the package and there was no invoice. Inside was a small ring style jewelry case, certificate and what looked like a plastic credit card/registration card. The case contained a "white metal looking clear stoned ring". For simplicity sake.....I'll just say it's like a Fake Diamond Ring. The Certificate was issued by the Global Gemological Research Academy. Call it GRA for short. Note: it's NOT the real GIA folks. Even though the "certificate" inside looks like a real GIA one. WOW.....according to the certificate, I had received a real 1.00 carat "Moissanite" ring. As for the metal ring. Yeah....looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. So.....

LOL....even got a number associated with the "fake diamond" and the card urged me to scan the QR Code and register the jewel.

Rrrrrright.....I should work on that really soon. NOT.

More searching on the Internet revealed, complaints and warnings that it's a scam.

Probably from some CHINESE COMPANY (read as: The CCP). BUT, But, but....I'm only speculating. That being said.....I feel.....that it's perhaps, linked to an item (tools) that I attempted to actually purchase off of an ad found/linked on several YouTube channels. You know....the ads that come on before the actual video plays.

Anyway.....that purchase went badly. I waited for 3 weeks for delivery and it never came. I ended up getting the charge back via the CC company. Then, one day later (after I notified the seller's company) they also credited back my CC for the full purchase price. I guess.....I'll need to wait. For the next shoe to drop. Rrrrright......unauthorized charges. BUT, to be fair....I'll need to contact the CC company to let them know. But they know already that the charge had been "recalled" by the same seller. BUT then....maybe not? Because, the seller uses different IDs under the seller's account with the CC company.

Anyway.....BEWARE.

Aloha, Mark

Any ad on youtoob is the debil!

Anyway.....BEWARE.

Aloha, Mark

"Guessing" maybe you will later get a bill for the ring asking you to pay? Probably some "super great deal"?
The great part about credit cards is how well they protect you. Buy online a LOT. Now and then a card will get "hacked". I have all of them set up to notify me when used for just this reason. As soon as one is compromised I know and its simple to fix. Had not happened for several years until a couple weeks ago. Two charges on one we did not make. So I called them. It was some kind of property management joint in another state. They just took the charges off and canceled our cards and sent new ones out. Only "hassle" was that card had a few things auto bill too. Had to go to each of those sites and set up a different card for that. Then when new cards came had to edit the account number on the bank accounts that are used to pay them. All simple stuff done on line. The real nice part is when shopping in person. When clerk asked me if I need a receipt for stuff I just bought I say "no, my phone just told me I bought this". Before they can even print a receipt my phone is already showing it.
I still for the life of me do not understand so many of the younger people I work with who love using one of the newer payment forms that do not offer the same protection. When I ask them about it they never seem to really be able to explain to me why they do it either. When something goes wrong they can sure squawk though. :s0092:

"Guessing" maybe you will later get a bill for the ring asking you to pay? Probably some "super great deal"?
The great part about credit cards is how well they protect you. Buy online a LOT. Now and then a card will get "hacked". I have all of them set up to notify me when used for just this reason. As soon as one is compromised I know and its simple to fix. Had not happened for several years until a couple weeks ago. Two charges on one we did not make. So I called them. It was some kind of property management joint in another state. They just took the charges off and canceled our cards and sent new ones out. Only "hassle" was that card had a few things auto bill too. Had to go to each of those sites and set up a different card for that. Then when new cards came had to edit the account number on the bank accounts that are used to pay them. All simple stuff done on line. The real nice part is when shopping in person. When clerk asked me if I need a receipt for stuff I just bought I say "no, my phone just told me I bought this". Before they can even print a receipt my phone is already showing it.
I still for the life of me do not understand so many of the younger people I work with who love using one of the newer payment forms that do not offer the same protection. When I ask them about it they never seem to really be able to explain to me why they do it either. When something goes wrong they can sure squawk though. :s0092:
One thing you can try is to put all of your auto-pay charges on one card, and not use that card for anything else. Don't even carry it in your wallet. It's not foolproof, but it does help.

One thing you can try is to put all of your auto-pay charges on one card, and not use that card for anything else. Don't even carry it in your wallet. It's not foolproof, but it does help.
I had done that for a while with one of them, can't even remember which one it was now. It was back before the online notifications. That one got hacked, took a while before I noticed it. The bank still of course fixed it. So after that I just said screw it. I have 3 cards and all offer points. So which one is used daily just depends on who has the best points for what I am buying. They vary between things like gas, Amazon, going out to eat and such. None have yet offered anything for bill pay. So when this last one got hit just moved all the bills to another one. I guess if it happens again I could just say yes to another card and use it only for this. Problem would be sooner or later they would probably wave some deal at me, 5% for purchases at....................... and I would say OOOOHHHH need to use this one for that. I am a sucker for that free money:s0140:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews