JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to try a scout scope set up on my 1895 45-70 Guide Gun. I'd like to stay with Leupold or Vortex, but what else should I look at for scopes. Ideally it would be 1-4x and have a lighted reticle, but illumination is not a must. Has to dial down to 1 or 1.5x though. I've heard decent things about Burris scout scopes too. $300 ideally, up to $500, used ok.

Burris have a good reputation in their ability to handle recoil... However I have no idea where they are made now so it's a big chance to take.

Not very many variable power scout scopes start at 1x-1.5x

I prefer handgun scopes because they have more eye relief, giving you more leeway in where you mount it on the rifle, but I have only found two handgun scopes that start at that low of a power; Weaver and Leaper UTG. Weaver is okay, but the Leaper UTG scopes are questionable IMO.

The best?

Probably the Leupold VXR 1.5-5x Scout Firedot - but I haven't looked at one in person yet. I have a Leupold HOG Firedot and I like that scope, but it isn't a scout scope.

I like the luepold 4x scout scope, ive forgoten the model but its in thier gold line.

Not sure why a variable scope would be helpful at those low powers; 4x is close enough to shoot anything on the west side of the mountains and not so zoomed in that you cant make quick snap shots at 25-50 yards.

Its not illuminated, but in WA we cant use them anyway.

Not sure why a variable scope would be helpful at those low powers; 4x is close enough to shoot anything on the west side of the mountains and not so zoomed in that you cant make quick snap shots at 25-50 yards.
A 1X scope is great for close range and brushy areas, has a wider field of view and more eye relief. In short, it would be my default setting.

Then if I need to hit something beyond 100 yards, or something small, especially if I can take my time and preferably use a rest, a higher power would be great.

Its not illuminated, but in WA we cant use them anyway.
??

I am not aware of any laws against illuminated reticle scopes for hunting or what the reasoning behind such a law would be.

A 1X scope is great for close range and brushy areas, has a wider field of view and more eye relief. In short, it would be my default setting.

Then if I need to hit something beyond 100 yards, or something small, especially if I can take my time and preferably use a rest, a higher power would be great.

??

I am not aware of any laws against illuminated reticle scopes for hunting or what the reasoning behind such a law would be.

I don't close an eye when I'm using my scout scope so I guess I just assumed everyone didn't - that assuming thing again; So a 1x for me is kinda useless as is a 2x. 4x was the lowest that I could shoulder and fire at any distance quickly.

I thought I read in the hunting guide that WA dosen't allow illuminated scopes for hunting but I could be wrong and will see if I can dig that up.

Edit: not sure as to most of the why's on any law:p

I have the burris on an XS mount on a guide gun. the burris has a heavy duplex line and the leupold that I looked at had the thin fine duplex. that was a no brainer for me for a woods/brush gun. at least I looked at the leupolds as all my scopes are pretty much burris. ymmv.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews