Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best Scout Scope

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by RedneckRampage, Jun 15, 2015.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I want to try a scout scope set up on my 1895 45-70 Guide Gun. I'd like to stay with Leupold or Vortex, but what else should I look at for scopes. Ideally it would be 1-4x and have a lighted reticle, but illumination is not a must. Has to dial down to 1 or 1.5x though. I've heard decent things about Burris scout scopes too. $300 ideally, up to $500, used ok.

2. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

Might sell my leupold listed with a marlin 45\70 in rifles.

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Burris have a good reputation in their ability to handle recoil... However I have no idea where they are made now so it's a big chance to take.

4. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

I like my Burris on my Savage Scout. Not a variable, but clear and easy to use.

5. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Not very many variable power scout scopes start at 1x-1.5x

I prefer handgun scopes because they have more eye relief, giving you more leeway in where you mount it on the rifle, but I have only found two handgun scopes that start at that low of a power; Weaver and Leaper UTG. Weaver is okay, but the Leaper UTG scopes are questionable IMO.

The best?

Probably the Leupold VXR 1.5-5x Scout Firedot - but I haven't looked at one in person yet. I have a Leupold HOG Firedot and I like that scope, but it isn't a scout scope.

mjbskwim likes this.
  6. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

The Leupold VXR 1.5-5x Scout Firedot is quite the nice scope. Eye relief can be tricky until you get it set up right. Scope has some great features also.

mjbskwim likes this.
  7. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Isn't Burris making a 1x7 Scout now?

8. The Heretic

Not that I can find.

I use a Burris handgun 2x7 and they offer a 2x7 scout scope, but I don't see one in 1x7.

I wish Leupold or Burris would make a 1x-somethingX handgun scope.

9. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

My mistake.

10. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I like the luepold 4x scout scope, ive forgoten the model but its in thier gold line.

Not sure why a variable scope would be helpful at those low powers; 4x is close enough to shoot anything on the west side of the mountains and not so zoomed in that you cant make quick snap shots at 25-50 yards.

Its not illuminated, but in WA we cant use them anyway.

11. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the VX-II 1.5-4x28 IER. Any ideas on it?

12. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

RedneckRampage likes this.
  13. The Heretic

A 1X scope is great for close range and brushy areas, has a wider field of view and more eye relief. In short, it would be my default setting.

Then if I need to hit something beyond 100 yards, or something small, especially if I can take my time and preferably use a rest, a higher power would be great.

??

I am not aware of any laws against illuminated reticle scopes for hunting or what the reasoning behind such a law would be.

14. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I don't close an eye when I'm using my scout scope so I guess I just assumed everyone didn't - that assuming thing again; So a 1x for me is kinda useless as is a 2x. 4x was the lowest that I could shoulder and fire at any distance quickly.

I thought I read in the hunting guide that WA dosen't allow illuminated scopes for hunting but I could be wrong and will see if I can dig that up.

Edit: not sure as to most of the why's on any law:p

15. Joe13

I can not find any mention of it in the book.

Thanks for correcting me on that.

16. The Heretic

You might have been thinking of NVDs.

17. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

I have the burris on an XS mount on a guide gun. the burris has a heavy duplex line and the leupold that I looked at had the thin fine duplex. that was a no brainer for me for a woods/brush gun. at least I looked at the leupolds as all my scopes are pretty much burris. ymmv.

18. Barney

Barney Portland Member

19. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Why

20. Joe13

Refference posts #14 and #15;)

slimer13 likes this.