JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to try a scout scope set up on my 1895 45-70 Guide Gun. I'd like to stay with Leupold or Vortex, but what else should I look at for scopes. Ideally it would be 1-4x and have a lighted reticle, but illumination is not a must. Has to dial down to 1 or 1.5x though. I've heard decent things about Burris scout scopes too. $300 ideally, up to $500, used ok.

Burris have a good reputation in their ability to handle recoil... However I have no idea where they are made now so it's a big chance to take.

Not very many variable power scout scopes start at 1x-1.5x

I prefer handgun scopes because they have more eye relief, giving you more leeway in where you mount it on the rifle, but I have only found two handgun scopes that start at that low of a power; Weaver and Leaper UTG. Weaver is okay, but the Leaper UTG scopes are questionable IMO.

The best?

Probably the Leupold VXR 1.5-5x Scout Firedot - but I haven't looked at one in person yet. I have a Leupold HOG Firedot and I like that scope, but it isn't a scout scope.

I like the luepold 4x scout scope, ive forgoten the model but its in thier gold line.

Not sure why a variable scope would be helpful at those low powers; 4x is close enough to shoot anything on the west side of the mountains and not so zoomed in that you cant make quick snap shots at 25-50 yards.

Its not illuminated, but in WA we cant use them anyway.

Not sure why a variable scope would be helpful at those low powers; 4x is close enough to shoot anything on the west side of the mountains and not so zoomed in that you cant make quick snap shots at 25-50 yards.
A 1X scope is great for close range and brushy areas, has a wider field of view and more eye relief. In short, it would be my default setting.

Then if I need to hit something beyond 100 yards, or something small, especially if I can take my time and preferably use a rest, a higher power would be great.

Its not illuminated, but in WA we cant use them anyway.
??

I am not aware of any laws against illuminated reticle scopes for hunting or what the reasoning behind such a law would be.

A 1X scope is great for close range and brushy areas, has a wider field of view and more eye relief. In short, it would be my default setting.

Then if I need to hit something beyond 100 yards, or something small, especially if I can take my time and preferably use a rest, a higher power would be great.

??

I am not aware of any laws against illuminated reticle scopes for hunting or what the reasoning behind such a law would be.

I don't close an eye when I'm using my scout scope so I guess I just assumed everyone didn't - that assuming thing again; So a 1x for me is kinda useless as is a 2x. 4x was the lowest that I could shoulder and fire at any distance quickly.

I thought I read in the hunting guide that WA dosen't allow illuminated scopes for hunting but I could be wrong and will see if I can dig that up.

Edit: not sure as to most of the why's on any law:p

I have the burris on an XS mount on a guide gun. the burris has a heavy duplex line and the leupold that I looked at had the thin fine duplex. that was a no brainer for me for a woods/brush gun. at least I looked at the leupolds as all my scopes are pretty much burris. ymmv.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top