JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for an EDC folder that I can operate left handed.

Benchmade has the AXIS lock, CRKT has the LAWKS system, Cold Steel has the ULTRA LOCK.

Which is the most reliable lock and won't close on your fingers if you grip it the wrong way.

I have a SPYDERCO, but don't like thumb holes. I prefer thumb studs.

SOG (S.A.T. locking system)?

Last Edited:
I carry & draw my knife from the left (although, I'm right-handed). I've used the axis lock on a couple of knives (705 & 555) and been quite pleased with it. Easy to use & hasn't failed on me. I tend to get a lot of lint in my pockets and I have jammed the axis lock up a bit, but it still locked. It was easy to clean out once I realized what the problem was. It certainly deals with lint better than my Spyderco (Delica) lock-back.

I haven't used the other lock styles you mention, so can't comment on the merits of those.

FYI...we provide defensive edged weapons training and private tutorials in addition to our defensive small arms skill development at OFA - the series where we fully intergrate defensive handguns, edged weapons, impact weapons and empty hand (defensive tactics) is called CEOTWK which is short for "Close Encounters of the Worst Kind!". Over the years we've seen just about every folder from cheap to uber expensive show up for class. Unfortunately we've had locking system failures amongst a number of "high end" major brand names and various locking systems.

The AXIS lock is the only one that has proven to be strong enough to work through the four basic defensive cuts under full speed simulated fighting conditions without failure. At the Academy we train with the BM AXIS lock using their inert trainers (BM 551T) and live blades (BM551) and nary a failure - and we stress those knives under simulated defensive situations as well as use them in the wilderness for our Wilderness Survival courses. Great product and stout & solid locking system!

Out of the last CEOTWK class of 15 students...all showed up with various brands and locking systems of folders...when class was over over 2/3ths left with either BM inert trainer and/or the BM551. Interesting. Now, this is not to say the other brands aren't any good...but under the fighting conditions we put the knives it became very obvious some locking systems could fail and potentially close on one's own fingers. Not so good...

Actually thinking about a balisong/butterfly type knife.
Blackhawk's Mike Janich designed one called the jani-song.
But they ran into production problems and it was never produced

Probably ultimately go with the Benchmade mini griptilian. Good value.

Thanks all.

1570-ALL_1.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR