JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this is the best place for this thread, but I thought maybe I could get some help here. I need some new boots for hunting/hiking and I want something quality that will last. I'm pretty tough on them; slogging through creeks, going up mountainsides, etc. To be expected, my boots always end up covered in mud, heavy and soaking wet. I want something that can handle that- relatively lightweight, completely waterproof, good ankle support and preferably something I can use year round for hiking.

Also, interested to see any suggestions on a good hunting knife. I've also gone through a few of these. I want to be able to skin large game, like elk, without having to re-sharpen the blade every couple minutes. I'm looking in the moderate price range. Thanks for the help!

I would look at the Danner outlet store. There are many brands and people have different feet. Not all Danners are made in the U.S. either. I have Danner, Red Wing, Irish Setter, and Wolverine. You have to get out and look at the styles and find one that you like. It takes a while but it is worth it because if your feet are not comfortable it sucks. Good luck.

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion Scott. I was just hoping to find a couple well recommended makes to give me a start. I hate trying a bunch of stuff on, having to go to multiple stores, etc. And i agree, when your feet aren't comfortable, it sucks.

I would start at the Danner outlet and go from there. I have a couple pair of Pronghorns and they are light and comfortable but I wish the soles were a little better. Would I buy them again yes? But you can try one many different styles at one place and score some good deals on defects, like a scratch or something like that.

But when I get a new pair I always go there first. Good luck and go to their website and look for what you want then go to the store and try them suckers on. But we both said when your feet hurt it sucks.

Just a quick story, when I was in the military we could not choose our boots like you can now. We all got the same crappy boots and your feet hurt like heck. So I know the value of good boots that are comfortable.

Good luck.

I agree with the Danner outlet. I haven't worn any other boot since my feet went into a pair of Danners. 2 years ago I got a pair of "combat hikers" for $50, they retail for $300. Specially designed for the spec ops guys in Afghanistan. They are awesome...

I would look at the Danner outlet store. There are many brands and people have different feet. Not all Danners are made in the U.S. either. I have Danner, Red Wing, Irish Setter, and Wolverine. You have to get out and look at the styles and find one that you like. It takes a while but it is worth it because if your feet are not comfortable it sucks. Good luck.

Scott

+1 on the Danner outlet store. Its down on Airport Way and I think the cross street is Glen Widing DR. Its across the street to the east from Burger King.
I own two pairs of boots. A good high pair of Danners (pronghorn I think) which I always take hunting with me. The other pair are Merrell. The merrell are lighter weight and mid height on the ankle but are still waterproof. The Merrells are excellent for early season bow hunting when it can be real dry. They are very comfortable and I can cover a lot of ground fast and quietly with them.
One other tip. When you are finished at the Danner store you can hop right down the road to the Leatherman Factor outlet store which is right at the factory. Small space but some pretty good deals in there.
And on the hunting knife? well for me anyway, shopping for one is half the fun. Hit the sportsmans show this weekend, that way you will probably find several under one roof.
Or you can always commission me to make one for you. :s0155:

I have a pair of Danner Rainforest (Made in USA). Great boots but is taking a very long time to break them in! I've also owned many pairs of Wolverines and have to say they are one of the most comfortable boots, for me, that I've ever had.

I've got a couple of good knives. A Cold Steel and a Benchmade. I bought my wife a Benchmade a few years before I bought mine and I really like them. I also like the Cold Steel knife, but I wish it didn't have the gut hook on it. If it didn't, I probably wouldn't have bought myself a Benchmade.

Do you guys recommend getting some with thinsulate in them? If so how much? It would be used for every tag in the sportsmen pack, dont have money to get a couple of pairs of boots just looking for something that would be good all around from spring, fall, and winter.

Do you guys recommend getting some with thinsulate in them? If so how much? It would be used for every tag in the sportsmen pack, dont have money to get a couple of pairs of boots just looking for something that would be good all around from spring, fall, and winter.

That is really going to be up to you. Some folks feet stay pretty warm without too much insulation, others have perpetually cold feet.
Personally, my feet can get pretty warm even if it is cold outside so I dont normally go for heavy insulation. But IMHO some insulatin is imperative if you are going to use them in the snow. If your feet get too hot you can always take a break, sit down and take your boots off for a while (hint...this is when the elk will show up). But, it harder to warm your feet up if you are out in the snow with uninsulated or underinsulated boots.

I've been wearing the Danner Rainforest with Thinsolite for the last 8 years. Just had my second pair resoled yesturday for $60, put a fresh coat of wax and new laces on them. I've never had a pair of boots or shoes fit as well, last as long, and be as comfortable as these. They are a heavy boot but I wear them all day at work moving around and don't have to worry about foot pain. The thinsolite seems to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I've had no issue with it personally.

+1 on the Danner Pronghorn all leather GTX. This is what I use, they break in easy and are comfortable. I have the 200g Thinsulate, I am glad I had them this past elk season for the Oregon Coastal Range. 3 inches of snow expected and ended up with around 16 inches in the higher elevations in a 4 day period.

Definitely check out the Benchmade Bone Collector Series of knives. I have the Axis, nice and sharp and holds its edge. A little on the pricey side but well worth it. Also check out SOG Knives, excellent knives for the price, this is my daily carry knife.

Good Luck

So, the Danner outlet is definitely the way to go. This is the one I'll start with:

Pronghorn GTX® Mossy Oak® Break-Up® 400G Hunting Boots [42284] - $164.95 : Surplus Outlet Inc.

I appreciate all the feedback- The next time I'm in Portland, I'll make it in there. You make knives WhyteCheddar?

I have exactly one under my belt. You can see it here... http://www.northwestfirearms.com/non-firearm-weapons/48184-do-you-make-knives.html Someone else made the blade but I am getting ready to tool up and start doing my own steel this summer. This was a very good knife though. I would take it anywere and trust it completely.
I am preparing to do another prefab now, It is also 440c steel but is a more contemporary skinner with a gut hook. I am going to do black canvas micarta scales and am planning right now to do copper pins (subject to change). I am going to do a few more with someone elses steel though. Also will probably do some restorations. Get some old knives and put new handles, maybe grind and polish and beath some new life into them.

With hunting knives I tend to go very cheap or somewhat pricey. A good carbon steel knife can be found for a pretty small price. I have a Condor nesmuk knife that is easily sharpend to a extremely sharp edge. The con is it needs to be oiled to keep it from rusting, and it needs to be sharpened more than a 440 or 420 stainless steel knife. This great knife cost me a whopping $24.95. My other knife is a Dozier Loveless hunting knife that is simply outstanding in edge holding and sharpening ease. Of course at $600 it should be outstanding. To be honest though, I much prefer using my cheap carbon steel blade.

Give up on danners a long time ago I wear Mendel boots now.
Local knife maker in portland Alan warren makes one of the best knives going.

Boot - Anything with "Woverine" or "Red Wing" written on it. Both make a good, solid, tough boot.

Knife - Buck Skinner. Can't beat it, AND, a lifetime warrenty.

Dean

I have worn Danners in a word JUNK.I get less than a year out of them then they are totally ruined. seams rip out and they start leaking almost out of the box. There warranties suck and they wont replace a boot at 3 months. They tell me I abuse the boot. Irish setters are they way to go for me. I usually get a full year and then return them and get half off my next pair. I am ahrd on boots I know and the Danner of 15 years ago were a tough boot well worth the money now you cant even get one good season.

I have worn Danners in a word JUNK.I get less than a year out of them then they are totally ruined. seams rip out and they start leaking almost out of the box. There warranties suck and they wont replace a boot at 3 months. They tell me I abuse the boot. Irish setters are they way to go for me. I usually get a full year and then return them and get half off my next pair. I am ahrd on boots I know and the Danner of 15 years ago were a tough boot well worth the money now you cant even get one good season.

Sounds to me like you're buying the China made Danner???

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top