JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just taking an informal poll. Best handgun design: 1911, Hi Power, Sig P226, Beretta 92 or Glock?
all the CZ75's.... and it aint no clone, it borrowed a good locking system and borrowed some cool stuff from other places brought them all together so its an animal of its own with the best grip ever created.......one 9mm to rule them all .......but i carry a G19 everyday LOL

If you have an opportunity to shoot the 9mm CZ Tactical Sports 75B jump all over that. Too heavy to carry...but wow.

If you have an opportunity to shoot the 9mm CZ Tactical Sports 75B jump all over that. Too heavy to carry...but wow.
My tactical sport is one of my favorite handguns the TSO is on a whole nother level though

5f485d2.jpg

Oh wow the criteria is broad here.

The gun that has shot the best in my hands was a Browning Hi Power in Mk III flavor.

Other guns that shot very accurately for me were the Ruger KP89DC, CZ-75 and the CZ-75 Compact, Para Ordnance 14-45 alloy frame single action, and standard single stack .45 1911s.

For reliability? Obviously Glock and Smith & Wesson M&P's - and because of the ergonomic advantages of the M&P that's my preferred daily carry gun.

From a looks standpoint? That's a tough one - Browning Hi Powers are sexy. Some 1911s are sexy. The Smith & Wesson 3rd gen metal guns are sexy. Sig P-series metal guns are sexy.

I'm curious about the RDS with a laser grip combo...do tell.
Actually haven't taken the combo to the range, as of yet. But I can tell, lining up the two dots is he!!... The laser grips are on the edc, cause these ole eyes need all the help they can get in the middle of the night. The RDS is more of a range toy, building speed across the steel targets, or targets in general.

Having said all that, I do plan on trying both simultaneously on my next range trip. And then of course the RDS alone.

Best handgun design: Glock. Sure the 1911 was/is a great design but Glock fixes all the 1911 downsides. The Glock is lighter to carry, simpler to manufacture, is reliable & durable.

1st choice: Glock
2nd choice: tie between Beretta 92FS & Colt 1911A1
3rd choice: CZ SP01 Shadow
4th choice: S&W M&P

Thoughts?

As has been noted the full size steel Cz-75 is too big and heavy to carry for most people. If weight isn't a factor (like for a house or car/truck pistol) it's great. I would not feel poorly armed confronting a threat with a Cz-75 with a 19 rd. Mec-Gar mag and one up the spout.
If being copied is an indicator of design greatness, the Cz75 and the 1911 are the most copied handgun designs with everybody making some version of one of them.
I can't think of any other product/design introduced in 1911 that's still the gold standard for what it is. The 1911 Steyr-Hahn was a well-engineered piece in a serious caliber with superb build quality, but today it is of historic interest only. Note that it remained in production through the end of WW2 for the Wehrmacht in 9x19mm, so it really was a practical design.

1586026333046.png

I would love to have one. :D

Last Edited:
I worked making the Bren 10 for a little while.
They just couldn't get it together and it didn't help that they used $ that could have corrected problems on fancy paneling in their offices.
Tom Dornaus showed me a prototype of an Commander-sized version that would have been a pretty kewl carry piece. Too bad really.
It was a neat gun @ the time.

Best handgun design: Glock. Sure the 1911 was/is a great design but Glock fixes all the 1911 downsides. The Glock is lighter to carry, simpler to manufacture, is reliable & durable.

1st choice: Glock
2nd choice: tie between Beretta 92FS & Colt 1911A1
3rd choice: CZ SP01 Shadow
4th choice: S&W M&P

Thoughts?
Love the reliability and durability, as well as ease of maintenance and custom mods. Did a Ghost 4lb trigger job on my 23. Super easy, and what an improvement!

I did very well with the 1911 and the P35 "High Power". I now shoot the Sig P220 instead of the 1911 and the P226 instead of the P35. I shoot the Glock well and recommend it and the S&W MP 2.0. I don't own either now.

If you get the chance shoot the CZ 75 or 1911 first. This will give you a great baseline for future decisions. Each fits well and shoots fantastic. The bad news is a proper 1911 costs at least $1000 now new.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top