JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dan Wesson would be a proper 1911. I have given them up regardless of make. A used P220 is all I need at the moment. I have too much loaded .45 ACP and lots of brass, about 4,800 primers and enough bullets to make 750. I had three Colts. All were series 80. Two of the milspec and a gold cup. I liked the basic ones but I regret buying the gold cup.

Those Dan Wesson guns were great. No experience with the post-CZ acquisition, but IIRC CZ bought them because CZ was interested in the investment casting method Wesson used on their frames, hoping to implement it in some of the CZ-75 series guns.

CZ-75, except it's a bit heavy for carry and I don't like the extensive use of roll pins. I like the Walther PPQ, almost as good feel in the hand and a lot lighter. I like the Ruger LC9S for carry - light, smallish and a good trigger (which is very important in small guns). If I were doing a lot of shooting I'd stick with the CZ-75.

1895 Nagant

1586619605957.png

Re Mobrez:
1) Why?
The last time I saw a gun with that level of utility (though I admit the Mobrez is legal, just useless) was in ~1975 when a guy I worked with showed me a .410 Mossberg bolt action with a bbl about 10" long & full buttstock. It was behind the seat of his El Camino (loaded, of course), in the company parking lot, on top of a pile of bricks of a commodity that THE LAW frowned upon with great vigor at the time. I thought everybody knew that guns like that were not only illegal, but useless, but he didn't. I explained that the gun was illegal in and of itself, completely ineffective for any purpose, and given its proximity to contraband, worth about 50 years in sentence enhancements.
Then I left as fast as I could without running.
2) I saw a big budget Russian/Soviet flick about Napoleonic combat in which cut down M-Ns a lot like the Mobrez with phony sideplates were used as stand ins for flintlock pistols. Such niggling details were lost in the sweep and grandeur of a spectacle that could only be staged with a cast of millions, i.e. the Red Army as extras.

The 1911 Steyr-Hahn was a well-engineered piece in a serious caliber with superb build quality, but today it is of historic interest only. Note that it remained in production through the end of WW2 for the Wehrmacht in 9x19mm, so it really was a practical design.
I'm not sure I'd call a stripper clip loaded pistol a practical design by 1911. Interesting? Yes. Practical? Not so much.

Just taking an informal poll. Best handgun design: 1911, Hi Power, Sig P226, Beretta 92 or Glock?
1911 and it's offshoots like the BHP. There are obviously many good designs- like the Ruger revolvers.. but the 1911 et al get my vote.
Then again I have an extremely reliable Tok...
My personal carry these days has been a Glock 21.

Last Edited:
I despise plastic, yet carry a G19G4.
Of all I've tried for the purpose. It can be replaced. I haven't found anything worthy, yet.
I have a HK VP9SK I'll pick up Saturday.

Weight, is not necessarily my concern. Balance in functionality, smoothness, accuracy, and capacity, in that order. 13rnds plus my goal.

I tried revolvers. They're not for me.

I like the 1911 best. The capacity is my only dislike.
The 2011 in 9mm is bait, yet the thickness of the grip has me circling.
I like the STI's. I choke on the price.
All other Gucci's and their prices will never have a place in my herd.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads