JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I built a stand for my hanging gongs using these sawhorse brackets. While it works great, the chain is breaking far too often (especially when hit with 5.56). Is there a type of chain I can (and should or should not) use that is more resistant to being stuck by bullets?

No being a SmartA$$ at all, but try not to hit the chain. Heavier chain will hold up longer but just delay the inevitable. No chain out there will withstand multiple hits from 5.56 and is resistant to being struck by bullets!

I've been using those brackets for a few years, great way to make portable hangers;):D

As for chains, all I know is bigger is better but if your hitting the chain at all it's going to break, especially if you're using green tip ammo.

Good info guys. I'm pretty good about not hitting the chain. The beginners I take shooting? Not so much :)

I'm also a little concerned that if the chain didn't break it might ricochet in an unsafe direction.

Try using heavy cable! You can get it in small enough lengths, and very thin making it harder to hit, you can also swedge it easily enough with hand tools and should be cheaper then chain!

Or, you could use some of this chain, each link weighs about 100 pounds, but should hold up to just about any thing under a 5 inch HE round! Prolly only need a few links per side:p:D:p
marking%2Bchain%2Bnavy.jpg

see if you can find old fire hose and cut it into strips. it sucks when you hit the chain and the target falls down

just search for used fire hose or fire hose by the foot on ebay.

I can say rope doesn't work for sure:p

A guy I took shooting brought some 8" plates and 1/2" rope to hang them up.

Took 4 shots with his 5.56 at 100 yards ok.

Only took one hit from my 7.62x39 to yank it off.

He said he loosened it up before i shot it, so I one shot the other 3.

He wasn't pleased but he did start to ask about the cartridge after that:D

Which reminds me, I think I owe @Reno some chain from a couple of cleanup ago in Tillamook...:p
Hitting the chain just means you are a better marksman than those hitting the plates!

As for my chain.

I get it at harbor freight in a bucket. Something like 50 feet or so for 10-15 bucks.

I've recently done away with chain stands for the most part and adapted everything to use a static stand. Now I just need to replace 2x4s instead.

Hang the target with a 4" wide section of mud flap or conveyer belting. You can buy new truck mud flaps for 3-4 bucks cut in strips with a utility knife punch some holes for bolt holes. That way you would have to hit the swingy part a bunch of times to cut it.since going through the rubber the line will be only slightly bigger then the slug.

Hang the target with a 4" wide section of mud flap or conveyer belting. You can buy new truck mud flaps for 3-4 bucks cut in strips with a utility knife punch some holes for bolt holes. That way you would have to hit the swingy part a bunch of times to cut it.since going through the rubber the line will be only slightly bigger then the slug.

That's the ticket, something wide that can soak up hits.

I built a stand for my hanging gongs using these sawhorse brackets. While it works great, the chain is breaking far too often (especially when hit with 5.56). Is there a type of chain I can (and should or should not) use that is more resistant to being stuck by bullets?
Conveyor Belt
You can buy it online pre-cut, cheap

I do the spring mounts on my plate rack and I will set up singles on a vertical 2x4 using the same principle.
Shown in the pic is 1" EMT (electrical conduit) with a 2x4 top rail.
One 10' stick cut in half makes 2 legs.
Those end frames are the cat's meow and use the hitch pins !
Shoot Steel is the vendor.
MOUNTED_DISCS_800x@2x.jpg

Do an Image Search on "steel target hangers" and you will get a ton of ideas.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads