JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
So, one of my wife's clients asked my wife what type of hand gun I would recommend to put down a horse (I'm assuming it's one of her own, ya I know about assumptions). I haven't provided an answer yet. I know if it were me I'd likely grab my .357 Marlin with heavy softpoints or if it had to be a handgun one of my .357 revolvers with the same load.

However I have no experience putting down a horse.

I'm looking for recommendations from people that have ranch experience as to what would work humanely for a couple that have little firearms experience. Presently the only firearm that I know of on their horse farm is his AR-15.

Ideas?

That is a sad day. :(
I do not have any experience either, so I wouldn't even guess. I bet someone on here knows. I struggled with putting down my dog for a long time. I cannot imagine having to do that to an animal I had for possibly 20 years... My condolences to your friend.

Why do they not call a veterinarian to come and do this humanly and cleanly, and take the 'personal' questions and involvement out if it?

Do they understand the potential 'graphic' nature of 'putting down' an animal with a firearm?

I guess a bit more information may help.
She is a thoroughbred breeder however I suspect this question pertains to the rescue and rehoming that she participates in with some of her friends. I know that sometimes by the time a rescue gets to them it's too late to save them and not a lot of money is available for vet's.

Not real sure why I'm being asked except they know I'm a gun guy. I'm sure not a horse guy, hell I wouldn't even know how to stump break one.:s0004:

In .50AE
Go big or go home
SVimg-DE50TG__39645.1515511755.jpg_c=2&imbypass=on.cf.jpg

I would opt for something with some mass behind it. a 38 (158) has plenty of put down power without being....as graphic as some of the faster/bigger slugs.

It truly is a terrible time when something of this nature occurs, but better to be prepared for the situation than not.

here is a link your friend may find useful

I have shot them with my 10MM, 180gr XTP between the eyes and it just dropped.
I was called because the vet wanted $400.00 to do the same thing.

Never put down a horse, but I would have to guess that the most humane way would be a large caliber through the brain, by someone the horse trusts, as awful as that sounds. Calm, no stress to the animal, and "bang" and it's over. The vet may be good idea, depending on the disposition of the animal; many get stressed by vets, like they have a 6th sense. If this is not the case, tough to beat the lethal injection.
Condolences to your friend, this kind of heartache is real.

I had to answer similar question on shot p!acement for my wife, but her concerns were being out on a trail ride and having a horse get injured far from assistance. Confirmed by a vet. Basically draw an X from ears to eyes (opposites).

I've seen first hand what happens when a stallions castration goes bad.
A vet was giving the shot to knock out the horse, but before he could empty the syringe, the owner holding the lip twitch lost his grip and the stallion immediately reared up and then fell backwards into a plate glass window overlooking the owners backyard.
The owners wife was filming the event and wanted her house to be in the backdrop.
The horse went crazy and cut himself so bad on that plate glass that the vet ran over to his truck, pulled out a S&W 38 spl snubby and then ran into the house and managed to get the pistol near the thrashing and screaming horses forehead somehow and empty it to put him down.
My job was to use a front loading tractor with forks to lift the carcass out of the window and down the hillside to bury it.
I've never seen anything like that, as the living room was destroyed and there was blood everywhere.

I have seen cows being put down for butcher with a 22 LR in the soft spot behind the ear. If the horse is friendly to the owners, have them lay the horse down and brush the coat. Then, hopefully using a compact handgun, place the muzzle behind the ear and discharge two quick rounds. The intended target is the brain, of course.

Max of two people, so as to not overwhelm the horse and so the shooter does not accidentally shoot a peer.

Do not UNDERestimate the 22 LR at close range.

Last Edited:
When I was still in high school our neighbor and family friend owned a pretty sizable herd of cattle and I remember once being present when he had to put one down. I remember being surprised that he used a .38 caliber revolver for the job (but I think it's only because that's what he had). He put the barrel up against the cow's head, just behind the ear, and that cow was dead the minute he pulled the trigger. With this in mind, I don't think the caliber really matters much, or at least not nearly as much as the shot placement.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads