JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Something 38 special/ 9mm or larger. Either behind the ear where the spinal cord connects to the brain or directly between the eyes. It will be pretty quick but will still be seeing watching an animal take it's last breath, make sure this is not there first rodeo with an animal that size.

I would opt for something with some mass behind it. a 38 (158) has plenty of put down power without being....as graphic as some of the faster/bigger slugs.

It truly is a terrible time when something of this nature occurs, but better to be prepared for the situation than not.

here is a link your friend may find useful

Thank You
Printed out the info and pictures from the link.
Will pass it on to her.

A long time ago my dad put down my mom's horse. She had raised her from birth and had her for over 30 years. My dad hated killing anything. He used a .357 mag revolver. It was a difficult thing, but the old horse never felt a thing, went down instantly without a twitch.

I had to put down a sick cow once, used a .44 revolver. Same thing, she went down instantly, never felt a thing. A .22lr would probably work, but shot placement is absolutely critical. My dad once tried to put down a sick cow with a .22 pistol. He had to shoot the poor thing several times.

I found this as well; seems to be slightly more accurate. They don't have the biggest brains, and I can't quite tell if there is a "soft" access point, but this info seemed correct based on looking at some other veterinary info. I did see one page mention that shotguns with slugs are suitable but I think that would be pretty graphic for anyone having to help with the scene. Personally I wouldn't think of using anything less than a 38/9mm.

Why do they not call a veterinarian to come and do this humanly and cleanly, and take the 'personal' questions and involvement out if it?

Do they understand the potential 'graphic' nature of 'putting down' an animal with a firearm?
I'm going along with this comment. For one thing...having some farm experience here as a kid in the Puyallup Valley...you have to consider WHAT TO DO with the horse once it is dead. Blood all over the place is also a problem. The vet can do it humanely with a needle, and the animal can be transported to its next destination with less mess and trouble. The best way to do all this is to have the renderer (well, that's what we called them in the old days) show up at the same time as the vet. The animal goes into the transport on its own. The vet puts it down. The renderer drives the animal away. Much less traumatic and better for both you and the animal.

I literally just went through this. Was working at a farm and the owner asked if I had a gun for him to put a horse down. Was told it was a rescue and had something wrong with it from birth and had broken it's hips badly.

I brought a 12g with a HP rifled slug. One bang and done. Not that much mess as the super soft slug went in but didn't exit......I'm sure 1000% percent it was instant and humane. Much better than it lying there in pain with broken hips

A long time ago my dad put down my mom's horse. She had raised her from birth and had her for over 30 years. My dad hated killing anything. He used a .357 mag revolver. It was a difficult thing, but the old horse never felt a thing, went down instantly without a twitch.

I had to put down a sick cow once, used a .44 revolver. Same thing, she went down instantly, never felt a thing. A .22lr would probably work, but shot placement is absolutely critical. My dad once tried to put down a sick cow with a .22 pistol. He had to shoot the poor thing several times.
Where did he shoot the poor thing several times?

As far as the comments pertaining to disposal, I'll have to inquire however I would expect their plan is dig a hole somewhere on the property. I know that's what happened when she lost her stud.

That brain is a surprisingly small target. Definitely can see where someone could mess up, especially using a 22LR.

hemisected-horse-head-with-scale.jpg

So, one of my wife's clients asked my wife what type of hand gun I would recommend to put down a horse (I'm assuming it's one of her own, ya I know about assumptions). I haven't provided an answer yet. I know if it were me I'd likely grab my .357 Marlin with heavy softpoints or if it had to be a handgun one of my .357 revolvers with the same load.

However I have no experience putting down a horse.

I'm looking for recommendations from people that have ranch experience as to what would work humanely for a couple that have little firearms experience. Presently the only firearm that I know of on their horse farm is his AR-15.

Ideas?
A friend just put his guilding down with a .22 Mag derringer to the forehead without any problems. One can achieve the same result by shooting into the ear canal.

Where did he shoot the poor thing several times?
Between the eyes, with HP .22lr out of a pistol. I doubt the hollow point bullets penetrated the skull. He said "The butcher uses a twenty-two". Well, actually the mobile butcher used a .22 magnum, out of a rifle. A jacketed bullet from a .22 mag rifle is far more potent than a lead hollow point bullet from a lr pistol. Like others said, bullet placement is everything, especially with little bullets. I don't think it's as critical with bigger rounds.

As to having a vet do it, that is a good idea, most likely to be done right and humanely. I just don't see it as really necessary for most people. Most any competent person can achieve the same result quickly and humanely. On the family farm, calling the vet for something you could do yourself was just not a realistic option. You did what you had to do, then started up the backhoe to dig a big hole. In some areas there's a rendering truck that will come out and pick up the animal, quick and easy.

If someone is unsure or uncomfortable about it, and can afford it, definitely call a vet.

Clearly many of you have never hired the services of a mobile slaughter truck.

The guy we use most frequently drops 1400 lb steers all day long with FMJ .22 mag.

-E-

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR