JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always got my Gerber 600 tool with me, in fact have one in every car, boat, trailer, and several spares. Super quick to deploy, lifetime warranty, and local service. No questions asked warranty.

Carried the leatherman titanium charge ti for years with a bit set and a cheap olive drab nylon carry case. It's amazing how much it gets deployed when someone says, "Oh, I need a ______"

As a non rider, but general planner of preparedness I'd first assess what types of things you might have to need a tool for, what specific tool you would need, and what would fit that role.

Familiarity with not only the needs but the available tools is a good balance of investigation to satisfactorily fill that empty space.
Leatherman itself (since I'm more familiar with them) makes models all the way from a tiny "Squirt" of a few oz, to the "Surge" that is somewhat ponderous for belt wear. At that, it does have incredible range of tools. At last count, 42 driver bits, the replaceable jig saw blade for any of the countless blades of the Bosch design, an actual small but usable ratchet that fits in the leather sheath, & about 24 or so other handy tools, all in a handful the size of a good size brat.
Look out though, they are addictive. I started with ONE & within a few months had SIX. All different configurations & tool sets.

Good luck.

What tools does your bike require the most? Start there. If a multi tool works well with those needed tools, get that. If it's a few different sizes of hex heads, perhaps just throw those in that space.

If this is for emergencies outside of the motorcycle, find a good quality multi tool that you like and call it a day.

AAA + RV coverage , and a Visa/Master Card. Honestly, unless you have enough tools to fix a flat at least or any other mechanical break downs. Tools on a motorcycle are just to give you something to play with while waiting for the tow truck. I'm not against Multi tools for general use and have several but the most common breakdown is a flat so you've got to at least be able to fix that or wait for a tow truck.

AAA + RV coverage , and a Visa/Master Card. Honestly, unless you have enough tools to fix a flat at least or any other mechanical break downs. Tools on a motorcycle are just to give you something to play with while waiting for the tow truck. I'm not against Multi tools for general use and have several but the most common breakdown is a flat so you've got to at least be able to fix that or wait for a tow truck.

My ride Kawasaki VerSys 650

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/lets-see-your-motorcycles.62023/post-1876255

I do have the included kit.
And a Leatherman Skeletool on me.

As a non rider, but general planner of preparedness I'd first assess what types of things you might have to need a tool for, what specific tool you would need, and what would fit that role.
What tools does your bike require the most?
Gas :s0062:

So far I haven't had to do repairs. Just maintenance.
What could I imagine ...

If a cable goes, can you hold the cable to the lever with that type of thing.

Have to re-adjust the rear tire to tighten/align the chain.

If the chain opens, can I repair the connecting link?

Are there any mulittools with the ViceGrip clamps?
I might need a small one of those instead 4 = 5in.

Or a crimper maybe -like on the Gerber 600 07400

Don't ride a Triumph and don't worry about it.

Back in the day on the KZ650 before electric ignition was standard, we built or collected our own lightweight tool kits. Sand paper for the points and assorted sockets. It did die a few times due to teenaged poverty.

I don't think a multitool in itself will provide what you need to remove bodywork and parts. I have a cellphone for my Ducati and nothing for the ST1300 with 120,000 miles. It hasn't died yet.

Best response so far!!! Great points 👍

My ride Kawasaki VerSys 650

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/lets-see-your-motorcycles.62023/post-1876255

I do have the included kit.
And a Leatherman Skeletool on me.

Gas :s0062:

So far I haven't had to do repairs. Just maintenance.
What could I imagine ...

Have to re-adjust the rear tire to tighten/align the chain.

If the chain opens, can I repair the connecting link?

Are there any mulittools with the ViceGrip clamps?
I might need a small one of those instead 4 = 5in.

Or a crimper maybe -like on the Gerber 600 07400
The Vise Grips multitool comes with a visegrip

Just a Leatherman, and any pair of shoes/boots that that I can walk/push far in. Ive had a more than a rew sessions of pushing my bike miles through the night. I often worried about the multi tool on my belt loop though, I always felt that if I went down on the highway that would really suck to land on it, possibly breaking something.

O yea, a few other must haves:
-Zip ties
-Stainless steel saftey wire
-A little Gorilla tape
-And a few "Barrel shaped cable stop clamps."
These little things allow you to connect two broken cables. Life saver and they are tiny. I always take these when im way out.

There are many acceptable multi-tools.

I have settled on Leatherman products in all of my rigs, including my motorcycle.

My company gave me a Gerber multi tool some years back. Early on, I was twisting a spring and one jaw broke, pinching the crap out of my hand in the process. I traded it in for a Leatherman and have never looked back.

Why even carry a gun? Just carry a cell phone!

Relying on a tow truck is like relying on the police, the government, or your parents to take care of all your problems.

When I'm out in deserted locations, the only person I have to rely on is me. Engines are fairly simple to make go. Air, fuel, spark. Jets or injectors clog, plugs foul, or wires break, so tools/parts to repair those are what I bring.

Maintenance will prevent most of these problems, but there is always a chance something with break. Having the knowledge and the tools necessary to get you out of situations is a life saver. You may even get the chance to help someone else.

-Robert

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads