JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting one of those new Benchmade 581 knives, the super steel stuff. However I have been hearing that Benchmade knives can be made much sharper than they come out of the box. I am also a total noob when it comes to sharpening and don't trust myself at all. And since Benchmade is in the area, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get one of these knives and then directly take it to their sharpening center?

I do not trust myself AT ALL when it comes to sharpening anything more expensive than a wooden stick. So do you think the Benchmade sharpening center would take a factory edge and make it really nice?

I can tell you the Benchmade's come SHARP! I have a small collection of them and everyone who checks them out is impressed. Just had a new blade put on one that I broke and it does not take much to cut some skin. My buddy thought he would shave some hair and cut himself in the process. I think you need to buy the knife and be the judge. I can tell you one thing, Kershaw & Gerber do not hold a candle to the Benchmade's. I took my Gerber in last year to have it sharpened ($3) Benchmade is free, but it came back duller than what is was to begin with.
I am impressed with the Benchmade stuff. Good quality and local which makes it a big plus.
Good luck with your purchase, and let us know what you think when you get it!

Sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box. Have a scar from my first 5 minutes of ownership that concurs, never felt a thing. tacins7923 -- did you take it to the factory to have it sharpened? How much duller did it comeback -- I thought they resharpened the blades to factory spec? Haven't had mine long enough yet to take it in.

Sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box. Have a scar from my first 5 minutes of ownership that concurs, never felt a thing. tacins7923 -- did you take it to the factory to have it sharpened? How much duller did it comeback -- I thought they resharpened the blades to factory spec? Haven't had mine long enough yet to take it in.

I was speaking of the Gerber knives that I had issue with the edge when it came back. I have had two knives, Benchmades, go back to Benchmade and they come back razor sharp. No complaints from me on the Benchmade's!
Sorry if it came across like that!

If you decide to sharpen knives somewhere else, keep sharpen it by that place.

Each company/person has their own sharpening edge angles. So every time you bring to different places, profile will be change and more metals will be removed.

Benchmade has great customer service and their life sharp program is great for those who do not sharpen their own knives. That said, buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker and practice on a couple of old or cheap knives. You will quickly learn to keep your knives sharp easily. Plus, it is fun.

I would learn how to sharpen it yourself. I've had a Benchmade for 4 years and learned to sharpen with it. With the new tools available, I like the diamond surfaced tools and finish off with ceramic rods. I don't stop until I can shave hair. I'm not an expert and I wasn't when I started either, but it's a fun skill to learn.

I would agree with the comment to learn to sharpen yourself. It's a useful skill to have, if for no other reason than to keep the kitchen knives sharp!

With that said, I've owned a couple of Benchmade knives, and they came sharper than any other brand I've bought. With that said, any factory edge I think can be improved with a leather strop. And the easiest to find and use strop I've ever come across is a leather belt with a rough/unfinished back side.

I would agree with the comment to learn to sharpen yourself. It's a useful skill to have, if for no other reason than to keep the kitchen knives sharp!

With that said, I've owned a couple of Benchmade knives, and they came sharper than any other brand I've bought. With that said, any factory edge I think can be improved with a leather strop. And the easiest to find and use strop I've ever come across is a leather belt with a rough/unfinished back side.

I completely agree with that!! I use a Lanskey kit to sharpen my SOG and Benchmades then finish it up with a leather/linen strop. You could shave with them when I'm done. I've had one benchmade balisong that I used to wear when I was falling out of planes back in 91 and it's still like brand new with a few dings here and there. I've never had a Gerber last as long as my benchmades.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top