JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah i was waiting to get on the 205 freeway of glisan or division and there was a couple begging for money on the corner. A van parked on the corner from some local church and brought them a sack lunch. The lady just looked at them and waved them off, like get away your going to screw up our scam.
My buddy's dad had a great idea.
With an old cigarette car lighter get some change red hot and throw it out the window to them.

Years ago, the local news in Seattle showed a nice shiny Volvo picking up beggars in the area under the Spokane Street viaduct. Drop 'em off in the morning...pick 'em up after rush hour. I wonder if they went for lunch.

Last year, I saw a guy in a wheelchair at the 43rd & Halsey exit on i84. As a test, I waved a buck out the window. He sprang out of his chair like he was going to dunk on someone, practically jogged three or four car lengths, took the bill, then slowly walked back to his wheelchair...(oops!) Made my day.

A young guy in his 20s was begging at the Tual/Sherwood I-5 exit yesterday with a sign. He was wearing new Nikes and a really nice ski jacket, overall better dresser than me lol.

I was thinking come on guy, at least dress the part.

There is a guy who's been at the I-205 and NE 122nd off ramp for at least 6 months or longer. His sign says "evertone needs alittle help once in awhile... God Bless!" after seeing this for six months I finally said "Dude, you need a little help all the time!" I know a retired county corriner who had to get some of these guys when they died from their camps. He said he would take their signs with him to the morgue andanother begger hit him at the offramp and stuck the sign out and he stuck the one he just picked up out of the window bak at the guy. On a serious note he confirmed that most of these deaths are in fact OD's and that giving them money in his opinion was helping to kill them.

I made it personal policy a long time ago NEVER (with zero exceptions) to hand cash to a person begging for it.

If I feel like helping the homeless or needy, I will donate to a shelter or non-profit organization directly.

Pocket change given to beggars will probably be used for alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs.

What peeves me off the most are the panhandling professionals, who stand on freeway on/off -ramps every day making better than minimum wage by taking advantage of the kindness and gullibility of strangers.

My stock response to these guys when they turn or divert toward me is to say loudly, "Do you know my first name?" which usually stops them for a second.
I answer for them, point and say, "Then you have no reason to get any closer." Hasn't failed yet.

6 years ago friend of mine and I were heading home from a road trip we were determined to get home to our wives so it was around three am we pulled off the freeway at a gas station to take a leak and get some energy drinks. Bill got in line ahead of me and was sitting in the truck when I came out walked down the driver side of the truck turned the corner at the back of the truck and almost walked into a guy standing there next to the bumper. He asked me if "I could spare any change for gas" I walked around him and said no. He said "I know you have money" and followed me to the door I hopped in and was reaching for the door, when that guy grabbed the door and had a knife in his hand. I couldn't believe the balls on this guy I was turning to lay down the law when Bill racked one in his carry. The guy ran of course. I never have spare change its always mine.

Quote from Mike Huckabee:

Last month, the Senate Budget Committee reports that in fiscal year 2011, between food stamps, housing support, child care, Medicaid and other benefits, the average US household below the poverty line received $168 a day in government support. What’s the problem with that much support? Well, the median household income in America is just over $50,000, which averages out to $137.13 a day. To put it another way, being on welfare now pays the equivalent of $30 an hour for a 40-hour week, while the average job pays $25 an hour. And the person who works also has to pay taxes, which drops his pay to $21 an hour. It’s no wonder that welfare is now the biggest part of the budget, more than Social Security or defense. And why would anyone want to get off welfare when working pays $9 an hour less?

Last month, the Senate Budget Committee reports that in fiscal year 2011, between food stamps, housing support, child care, Medicaid and other benefits, the average US household below the poverty line received $168 a day in government support. What's the problem with that much support? Well, the median household income in America is just over $50,000, which averages out to $137.13 a day. To put it another way, being on welfare now pays the equivalent of $30 an hour for a 40-hour week, while the average job pays $25 an hour. And the person who works also has to pay taxes, which drops his pay to $21 an hour. It's no wonder that welfare is now the biggest part of the budget, more than Social Security or defense. And why would anyone want to get off welfare when working pays $9 an hour less?

You have got to be *CENSORED* kidding me! Tell me this isn't real. Me and the wife combined barely make over $50K... This really peeves me off.

Last month, the Senate Budget Committee reports that in fiscal year 2011, between food stamps, housing support, child care, Medicaid and other benefits, the average US household below the poverty line received $168 a day in government support. What’s the problem with that much support? Well, the median household income in America is just over $50,000, which averages out to $137.13 a day. To put it another way, being on welfare now pays the equivalent of $30 an hour for a 40-hour week, while the average job pays $25 an hour. And the person who works also has to pay taxes, which drops his pay to $21 an hour. It’s no wonder that welfare is now the biggest part of the budget, more than Social Security or defense. And why would anyone want to get off welfare when working pays $9 an hour less?

You have a source for that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Where did the term "panhandler" come from anyways?
I gather that "aggressive panhandlers" frequent the foodcarts downtown and whatall.
I pretty much say "no thank you" to any accoster for whatever situation whatsoever.
Do they call Broom-handle Mauser shooters "broomhandlers"? never know

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads