JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I tried to give a "will work for food" moocher a Mcdonalds meal, he threw it on the ground said he didn't want that %$#. Can't say I have tried giving to them again. Now, I donate to the Guide Dogs for the Blind and Wounded Warrior project, plus I work in Lakewood, WA in the ED where everyday is a charity event.

I understand and agree with a lot of the comments.

Yes, a lot of beggers/homeless are entitlement-minded lowlifes, no doubt.

But please understand with the vicious economic collapse that is coming, a lot of us here will be joining their ranks.

I was homeless once living out of my 78 ford. I worked my a$$ off until I saved enough money to get a small apartment. Thank god for storage units in the middle of nowhere.I NEVER give to beggars. Homeless yes but beggars no. yes there is a difference.

I tried to give a "will work for food" moocher a Mcdonalds meal, he threw it on the ground said he didn't want that %$#. Can't say I have tried giving to them again. Now, I donate to the Guide Dogs for the Blind and Wounded Warrior project, plus I work in Lakewood, WA in the ED where everyday is a charity event.

I remember when I was about 12-13 that we were at a local pizza joint and there were these people in an old broke down station wagon. It was a family, a man maybe in his late 30s or early 40s, a wife a little but not much younger, and two girls, about 10 and 8. My mother being the good "christian" she was asked for a pizza to be made for when we left, she made sure that everyone knew she was giving it to the man across the street. The employees of the pizza place "accidentally" made too many pizzas for an order and gave them to us to give them as well.

I remember to this day the repugnant smell of that man, and the tears streaming down his eyes as his two little girls tore into the food like they hadn't eaten in weeks. The only clean part on this guy was where the tears had removed the caked on grease and dirt. He was telling us thank you with all his heart. I actually gave the guy $20 and he told me it was too much and tried to give it back. It even astounded my parents because they thought I was greedy. I was impressed. I could tell this man had done some hard work, when I handed him the money his hands felt like they had been washed in battery acid.

This was of course when I had an epiphany about wealth. This man and his family was so happy with so little, it made me feel ashamed of all the things I had that I did not need.

On the other hand I understand this is that one in a million chance, but this is one of the few times in my life I did not wish for the eradication of the human race.

I had family in town from ohio so we took them down to voodoo donuts in down town and so grungy early 20s kid ask for change and i told him to get a job. He yelled back at us that he works harder than we do. I told him the sign didnt look that heavy. And my brother in law who is 6'4" corn fed country boy laughed in his face while eating a bacon maple bar

For whatever reason drugs, booze, abusive parents, there's a lot of kids in the streets. Between the ages of 15-30. These people aren't Vets, down on their luck failed at life people. These are scum that just want to live "off the grid", won't work for "the man", wall street protesters, anarchists, or just plain lazy drug addicts.

Waste of tax payer dollars and oxygen

Some of them have the I'm out of gas scam down to a science. Locally there is a scruffy looking guy who stands in back of his Bronco holding a sign saying "On way to family funeral, out of gas", or "Gas siphoned, need gas to get to new job". Sometimes he'll have his girlfriend with him and she'll be crying or just looking pitiful. I watched them pull that at various gas stations over a weekend, then they moved on. Lately I'm noticing more younger people begging (lots of young women especially) 711's, AmPm's and assorted Korean stop and robs around town.

A little off topic but I've also noticed a rise in prostitution in my town. We've always had hookers here and used to have brothels all over the place up until the 60's, but the amount of streetwalkers we have now is pretty shocking, especially for a town my size. I got approached two weeks ago when I went to a stop and rob to get a half case of beer, and had this girl who was barely out of her teens ask me if I was looking to party. I won't repeat what she said after that since it would just get deleted, but I was pretty shocked, and I'm a hard person to shock.

It's happened to me recently. I was really irritated that a man would walk up to a woman traveling alone and ask for money. You must know it's going to cause fear or at least extreme caution. I was thankful my son walked out of the gas station at just the right moment (6'2" 165#).

Where do these street walkers hang out ?!

Just kidding. My step brother works sex crimes and he sees some horrible things. That's pretty prevelant these days seeing girls in their teens, runaways mostly getting hooked on drugs or threatened by pimps taking advantage of them.
Sex trafficking has become a huge problem. Like drugs there's a lot of money in it.

Some of them have the I'm out of gas scam down to a science. Locally there is a scruffy looking guy who stands in back of his Bronco holding a sign saying "On way to family funeral, out of gas", or "Gas siphoned, need gas to get to new job". Sometimes he'll have his girlfriend with him and she'll be crying or just looking pitiful. I watched them pull that at various gas stations over a weekend, then they moved on. Lately I'm noticing more younger people begging (lots of young women especially) 711's, AmPm's and assorted Korean stop and robs around town.

A little off topic but I've also noticed a rise in prostitution in my town. We've always had hookers here and used to have brothels all over the place up until the 60's, but the amount of streetwalkers we have now is pretty shocking, especially for a town my size. I got approached two weeks ago when I went to a stop and rob to get a half case of beer, and had this girl who was barely out of her teens ask me if I was looking to party. I won't repeat what she said after that since it would just get deleted, but I was pretty shocked, and I'm a hard person to shock.

She was probably one of my cousins. They work the Elma-Monte-Aberdeen circuit I hear.

we helped (my wife did mostly) and organized getting x mas presents for all nearly 70 kids at open house ministries(homeless shelter)plus toy fror the shelter.you want to help people there are ways as far as beggers go screw those lazy dirtbags.they could get 9 bucks a hour standing in the same spot holdin a dominos sign

I work in corrections, and I have observed that there are many people who commit crime just so they have a warm place to stay in the winter time. They want everyone else to take total responsibility for them instead of taking any for themselves. This is where our society's solution to the problem, actually makes things worse as these people become even more codependent on the system after having burned all their bridges with the people who used to care about them. If they can't follow rules they can never believe its their fault. They think its my job to solve their problems instead of solving it themselves. Then when some of the other staff gets sucked in and does it for them, then suddenly I'm the bad guy for saying no solve your own problem. Does that make me mean or not nice or lacking in compassion? Is it really nice to teach people to be so dependent on others they can't wipe their own butt? What was said about feeding the bears is true. If you feed the bears you get a bear problem. The lesson is don't feed the bears. If you take responsibility for other people's problems then they become a problem, because they never learn to take care of themselves and become responsible grown ups.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

don't you love the way people want you to spread the wealth,:s0154:starting at the street corner and working it's way into the rest of society for the likes of o's gas , and house

I believe in giving back and volunteer many hours of my time to youth sports organizations, and have always given a consistent percentage of my income to good solid charity that gets verifiable results in my community. I give till it hurts and even when my paychecks weren't that great.
That being said, I never give cash to any transient/beggar or charity that comes to my door uninvited.
One time when a few friends and I were going into the Hollywood Fred Meyer we saw a young family panhandling at the driveway entrance/exit. There were two small children, oldes probably 10, youngest around 5. We felt compassion for the kids and since the sign they were holding asked for food or money we decided to buy them several bags of groceries. Good stuff that wouldnt spoil along with some sweets for the kids. When we handed them the bags the look the gave us was as though were were instead handing them bags of dog crap. They didnt even say thank you that I recall. The kids looked appreciative though.
So if I am inclined to give something directly to someone who is begging, then its going to be food. Like Burt said way back in the thread, that he gave blankets to folks under a bridge. I've handed hamburgers to particularly hurt looking street folks. But never $$$$

I think people in prison should be completely cut off from society. No letter, phone calls, visitation, tv, cable, internet,, etc. too many people run organized crime from behind the walls of prison.

Prison should be a feared place, one you would rather die than go to.

There was a judge somewhere recently that refused to send a man to jail. He was commiting crimes just to go to jail. Had done it more than once. You knows it's an effin joke when the law has to refuse to send someone to jail for commiting a crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top