JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anybody had this problem lately? The last 4 times , yes 4, Ive gotten gas, I've been hit up to spare a gallon. Twice its been the same guy, and it wasn't the same station. Really getting tired of it, and not very friendly with my answer the last time. What is with these guys? Ok, rant over. " From my dead cold hands" Barry

I might sweep them with the nozzle if they got too close.
I worked down town Seattle for years and you just couldn't be nice to most of them. They were there to steal what they could when you weren't looking
I'm never nice to pan handlers

I do recall that happening to me at a gas station near downtown Seattle this past summer. In Portland, its not as bad. I work in downtown Portland and I see the same characters every day and it does get a bit annoying. I stopped giving to beggars after a max incident where my cousin gave someone a dollar and the beggar noticed more money in the wallet and tried to snatch it.

After having been part of the census group in San Jose for the 2010 census, I lost most of my compassion for "beggars". My eyes were opened to a whole new world and my heart hardened a lot. There are a lot of services out there that give a lot of things, between clothing, shelter, food and money.
That and when some dude tried to mug my grandmother....yeah, that pretty much ended my idea of "giving".

There are a lot of services out there that give a lot of things, between clothing, shelter, food and money.

We have a local shelter that only requires a minimal effort of work for a place to sleep and good food. The street corner bums would rather stand there and make money from saps than work for a couple hours at the mission. Why? The mission has a zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol.

Sorry, no sympathy from me. I donate to the shelter so I know my money won't go to someone's bad habit.

I am just saying that metals like copper, lead, silver, gold, iron, steel all have a value. If your imagination led you down a dark path my friend that is your imagination regardless of what or how I intended the message to be received. It is the receiver that makes the final translation, and on open ended and vague comments, you can truly find out about someone's inner pysche.

On a lighter note I would never condone violence against another human being.

I am just saying that metals like copper, lead, silver, gold, iron, steel all have a value. If your imagination led you down a dark path my friend that is your imagination regardless of what or how I intended the message to be received. It is the receiver that makes the final translation, and on open ended and vague comments, you can truly find out about someone's inner pysche.

On a lighter note I would never condone violence against another human being.

Just asking - good to know you dont shoot beggars

James Ruby

I won't give to them. I almost violated my own rule recently in downtown Everett. It was early on a weekday morning and I was killing time waiting for the County haz-mat facility to open such that i could dispose of some old gas cans that were partially full. I saw a younger guy going through the McDonald's dumpster, went through the drive-through line to get him a meal, and when I drove closer to him he looked at me and I saw a really mean look in his eye. I had my concealed-carry pistol with me but I didn't even bother to open the window.

Can you spare any change?
No

What time is it?
I don't know.

I hate being such a hard ***, but I won't risk their unpredictable behavior.

Peter

It's alot like hand feeding bears at the dump. Might do it awhile without being hurt but sooner or later you'll get bit. I give to Portland Rescue Mission but will not give to beggars.

You know what I find ironic about this is. The government will kill wild bears that have become dependent on humans for food, because it teaches them to not fend for themselves, and if the humans stop feeding them, they will cause harm in populated areas. However we can give out tons of food stamps to humans, and the thought is they don't become dependent and unable to fend for themselves?

(sorry the hand feeding bears comment brought it to my mind)

I saw a show on drugs in Vegas last night. 64 Y/O Vietnam veteran, still smart, respectful looking, begging for cash cause he enjoys smoking crack. Don't waste your families money on drugs. They get plenty to eat at the missions, and clothes. If they are dumpster diving they are probably looking for stuff to sell. I've offered construction clean-up work to these guys, not one taker because begging is faster and easier.

I agree. It is faster and easier. This morning I was at the central library returning some books I had borrowed and the library was not quite open. However there was a horde of unwashed homeless masses outside. One guy brought up needing to find a job and using the internet in the library to do such, two or three others were making fun of this one guy (sadly the youngest one out there) and then an older homeless guy told him that he should do what he does, cut a hole in his pocket and use the computer in a corner for a little slappy time.

Needless to say, I was actually working at the moment and found it an insult that some of my money is forcibly taken from me to go to some old hobo to wank it in a library on my dime.

In Salem at the I5 to Hwy 22 intersection and the Hwy 22 to Lancaster street. There is a organized group of beggars. I drive dump truck and work out of a gravel pit that is just a few blocks from these two intersections some days I go past these people working their "shift"s a dozen times. The same core of 5-6 people have been working these two sites for the last 5-6 years. Younger people seam to tag on throughout the year. I have watched them get on expensive recumbent bicycles to rid off at the end of their "shift" I have seen them walk into the Home Depot parking lot and get into decent looking cars and drive off.
Recently Depot or one of the other property owners sent some guy with a small tractor with a brush cutter to level a huge briar patch in a traffic triangle at the entrance to the shopping area. In the middle of it was a HUGE pile of trash and many "camps". Once laid bare the mess was hauled away. Yet the group still showed up to work their "shifts"

Now I'm not a social scientist but I know a few things. 1. these people are lazy 2. these people use drugs and booze 3. These people have found an easy way to make a living. 4. its a very good living as they haven't moved in 5-6 years. 5 they won't stop until the source of income is reduced.

If I didn't think for one second that any money I give to a beggar/panhandler WOULDN'T be used for drugs, booze, or smokes, then I'd be first in line to spare a buck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top