JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for all the input, I have decided I am making the switch and have added a bunch of ammo and mags to a rifle I have posted for trade to see what kind of offers I might get.
I will post an update when I make my deal and thanks again.

Come up with a plan before you change. Study weights of rifles and ammo to make sure it fits your plan (your age and fitness is a factor). Then if it all fits I am sure you will love an M1A.

jj

I had a chance to range both the M1A and a much shorter M14 and I have to say I am partial to the M14 and even with a quad rail and a bi-pod it didn't seem much out of proportion from what I am used to with my Sig's and from what I am reading online is that the Troy pistol gripped stock that I want to run is a good bit lighter then the wood stocks so I feel comfortable with the weight in shouldering and carrying.
Both the rifles I shot were on stock irons and I did wonder if I put a side mounted rear rail would I be able to see under the rail and still use the irons?
Other then figuring out my optics and mounting I think the M14 will be a good fit for what I am looking for.

This is round abouts what I am going for.
socom16troyvltoraimpoin.jpg

I would have to throw in my vote for the Socom in the Troy MCS.
It's much more of a "new weapon entirely" than the sage, which is still another M1A stock.

Check out this one

I know, if it's so amazing, why am I selling mine?
Well, I just bought a Jeep I need to pay off and still making payments on my old car... piece of junk VR6 Jetta...

once I'm all paid off I'm building the exact same one, but maybe in FDE instead of black.
Never had one malfunction, the recoil is virtually non-existant, muzzle jump is zero, putting the stock inline with the bore is a huge advantage, and the SOCOM muzzle break helps a TON.

If you're looking for a modern .308, have you considered the LMT L129A1? It is the same as an SR-25, just cheaper and made by LMT instead of KAC (though KAC worked with them on this one). You get to keep the familiar ergonomics of your AR-15 too.

$2800.00 A wee bit steep for the likes of me.

My opinion, make sure you've handled some of these before you spend that money. I am an AR-10 guy, but I have buddies who hate the AR ergonomics. I really think the main difference is preference, and how the gun feels to you. I find the M1 variants really nose-heavy, and they don't have as many options for sight mounts and stocks. I took a DPMS LR-308 with a 16" barrel, had it profiled down to lighten the weight, and put a UBR buttstock on it. The thing balances out so well. I finished it off with an Eotech and that's my fighting carbine. Another thing I love about the AR platform, I built a 21" Noveske barrelled upper for the same lower, with a 3-18 power scope. Now I have a fighting carbine that turns into a precision rifle in about 1 minute.

takes you a whole minute to swap uppers? :p j/k

I like this idea. I shot an AR10 and fell in love but I really like the way the FAL feels too. Never shot an M14 though. I'm with Samurai on this one...

My SHTF primary rifle selection come more into play in a scenario in which I am forced to pick one platform, my main plan is to hold out in my home for as long as the situation will allow but if I am forced to leave from my home(or vehicle in some cases) knowing that I will not have the option to return, then I will select my primary and in this scenario I do not anticipate carrying multiple uppers or any type of extensive firearms maintenance kit other then basic tools and cleaning supplies so until a decent gas piston kit comes out for the AR10 platforms they are not an option.
Reliability, Durability, multi purpose,ease of maintenance and round commonalty are my main focuses with this selection.
If I am to leave my home for short periods knowing that it is my goal to return then I would be more partial to my AR15 for weight and maneuverability and speed for gathering or opportunistic hunting or intel or what ever, light with light ammo and plenty of use but for my real time to boogie out and become a nomad or what have you then I will only be taking one, if i have my truck maybe I will take a few options but if all else fails I think the M14 suits my need best.

OK, based on your comments, a well made M14 style rifle based on the LRB receiver with a 18" bbl with a light weight stock and a decent scope such as the Leupold 1X8 would be a good start. I just shot a Springfield SOCOM II with a Battle Comp device, sweet. I was shooting well with this combo.

I have both .223 and .308 rifles....Mini-14 and Springfield M1A....(and Garands and AR's but who is counting)

The Mini-14 is in a folder stock with a side mounted 4x28 scope and the irons...large pile of mags, mostly 20s but a few 30s and some 10s with 'special ammo' that are color coded. Its the up close and personal rifle that it completely reliable and shares a manual of arms with the M1A.
The M1A is a standard wt barrel with aftermarket flash-hider in a walnut stock, Springfield scope mount with a Springfield scope atop it and a bipod. I similarly have a largish pile of mags mostly 20s, a few 10s for 'special ammo' again color coded.

Special ammo for both consists of tracer/incendiary, AP, Incendiary, API APIT and soft point. The SP ball is "hunting ammo" with most of it loaded with Nosler Partitions, 60 grain for the .223 and 165s for the .308.

Enough ammo to successfully prosecute a small insurection.

go with what works...mine is pretty "plain" with out all the gewgaws and mall ninja toys...but i can hit what i can see....WAAAAAY out there if needed.

Get yourself what you can afford and work with then practice practice practice.

Lotta people think the VZ is some kind of weird AK variant. Not true, in fact, and a better weapon all around............

Here is a detailed comparison: VZ-58 vs AK-47

Isher

Lack of magazines and magazine compatability, more moving parts and a huge open breech when the carrier is fully rearward making for a HUGE hole for dirt, sand, etc.. to get in, no thanks.

It does have one thing going for it that that OLD ak mags don't have a BHO after the last round.
Other than that, I'm still pro AK. Don't get me wrong The VZ is a unique novelty but that's about it for me personally.
I'll get one once there are more mags around perhaps..

ZA -

Well, hmmm.

Magazine compatibility/availability: Yes, it is an inexcusable oversight that the designers of both the AK and AR platforms forgot to make their magazines compatible with other designs. And I can get just as many 30 round mags as I want from Czechpoint USA for 13 bucks a pop - not that I need any more just now.

Moving parts: AK = 8. VZ =(gasp, moan, the shame) 9

That Gaping Hole: I generally don't go running around with the bolt open on any of the rifles I own...........? Luckily, the hole at the muzzle for both AK's and VZ's is the exact same size, so no argument there.

cheers,

Isher

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class