JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been considering moving from my AR variant to a M14 type like the socom 2 in a pistol gripped modstock with vertical post grip with a Trijicon Acog.
I am still looking into this and have some more research to do before I decide but I would appreciate any pros, cons ect.

That is a great combo. M-1A with a Trijicon 4X with the 7.62 reticule. Good to 600 yards easy. Another optic that would be great is a Trijicon 1.25-4X with the lit german post. Them's cool as well. JPG

If you're looking for a modern .308, have you considered the LMT L129A1? It is the same as an SR-25, just cheaper and made by LMT instead of KAC (though KAC worked with them on this one). You get to keep the familiar ergonomics of your AR-15 too.

You have to customize a good cheek weld or have a stock that can adjust for cheek weld. Otherwise you can't easily use the iron sights even with a quick detachable scope. M1A/M14 is a battle rifle that is great for long range or precision engagement, but its not a cqb weapon. Fire it indoors or next to a wall without ear protection if you truly foresee using it for self defense in a cqb scenario...

I have been eyeballing the SOCOM 2 with Modstock kit like this one

<broken link removed>

My primary I consider mostly for protecting the wagon so to speak as I have a decent sized family so I have been giving some thought to sacrificing a bit of weight for power.

My opinion, make sure you've handled some of these before you spend that money. I am an AR-10 guy, but I have buddies who hate the AR ergonomics. I really think the main difference is preference, and how the gun feels to you. I find the M1 variants really nose-heavy, and they don't have as many options for sight mounts and stocks. I took a DPMS LR-308 with a 16" barrel, had it profiled down to lighten the weight, and put a UBR buttstock on it. The thing balances out so well. I finished it off with an Eotech and that's my fighting carbine. Another thing I love about the AR platform, I built a 21" Noveske barrelled upper for the same lower, with a 3-18 power scope. Now I have a fighting carbine that turns into a precision rifle in about 1 minute.

If you're looking for a modern .308, have you considered the LMT L129A1? It is the same as an SR-25, just cheaper and made by LMT instead of KAC (though KAC worked with them on this one). You get to keep the familiar ergonomics of your AR-15 too.

What he said. This is next on my list.

they are great guns, but I don't know. I think i would rather have an AR-10 variant myself as they are easier to put an optic on, easier to work on and have pretty good ergonomics IMO. But I do dig the old garand action. Its great and super reliable. So if it were me, i would get both. And get an RFB :D

If you want an ACOG on a 'modern' M14, you'll need to go with a Troy Modular Chassis system as the standard Socom, Socom II, and Sage EBR won't provide you with enough eye relief. The Troy rail goes all the way back, in fact attaching in place of the rear sight.

It is possible, and I've seen ACOGs mounted to a rail that replaces the stripper clip guide, but they don't instill confidence (IMO).

In the past year, I've become a huge fan of the M14 and variants......just something about 308.....Good choice :)

Is this kind of what you were thinking?
MK14 Mod 1
Short range optics mounted.
NF 2.5 x 10 in foreground.

Easy to handle with Aimpoint mounted and stock collapsed.

TheHot-SwapSet-upSM.jpg

Your thinking is outstanding, and I share your interest in the Socom platform. I have considered the same upgrade in caliber but upon reflection have decided to stay with my Mini-14's. My primary issue is the thick woods and resultant limited shooting distances in my area. Also contributing to my decision is the fact that I am pushing 60 years old and the idea of "bugging out" in the event of civil unrest or disaster is limited to being forced out by fire. I live in the country and will die here if it comes to that. I have scoped and unscoped hunting rifles for any longer shots that may be needed, but any significant shooting out here will be limited in distance by the trees and terrain. My choices would likely be different if I were needing to "flee for the hills" (thankfully, I am already there) or thought I would be in an area where long shots were the norm rather than the exception. Just my rambling 2 cents...

<< would appreciate any pros, cons ect.>>

In my opinion, some pros and cons.

Cons:
-Heavy, weighs more than the average AR. Ammo is heavy too.
-Expensive, AR's are a dime a dozen.
-Recoil, even with powder puff loads you still have to hang on.

Pros:
-Power, 'Nuff said.
-Reliability, Less sensitive to dirt than some.
-Versatility, Short range, long range, no problem.

B

I love the m-14. I am a wood and steel guy with no military experience, but an appreciation for the .30 Garand style.

Clint Smith has a great article on its role in today's world that I must agree with.

M1A: a rifle for close spaces or far places | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET

I have done long range shooting with my "Loaded" full sized M1a. I love hitting a 18 inch steal gong at 600 yards with open sights and a spotter, and have done so while my AR15 buddies with $1,200 ACOGS are dancing in the wind. After reading Clints article I think my 22inch barrel would be best served by putting an 18 inch on it for increased maneuverability

I can see the benefit of punching through things with a .30 cal, but don't think I would be engaging targets at 600 yards in a bug out situation.

That being said you should get one anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top