JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ZA -

Well, hmmm.

Magazine compatibility/availability: Yes, it is an inexcusable oversight that the designers of both the AK and AR platforms forgot to make their magazines compatible with other designs. And I can get just as many 30 round mags as I want from Czechpoint USA for 13 bucks a pop - not that I need any more just now.

Moving parts: AK = 8. VZ =(gasp, moan, the shame) 9

That Gaping Hole: I generally don't go running around with the bolt open on any of the rifles I own...........? Luckily, the hole at the muzzle for both AK's and VZ's is the exact same size, so no argument there.

cheers,

Isher

Well my friend. Just don't call it the superior rifle.. :D
I've got WAY too many AKM parts to switch platforms any time soon, but like I said; I'll own one here soon, no worries.
I'm sure it is a fine weapon if you love the design, I'm not really a fan as you can tell. :p

Anyone taken a look at that new Nonreciprocating AK Ratchet Charging System by Dublin AK Systems?! Kind of like the G3/CETME charging handle, its located up front on the left side Just a drop in replacement, glorious design. I'm getting one as soon as their available just to plink around with.

ZA -

To twist an old phrase around with regard to firearms and other tools.........

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,

And ultimate effect is in the hands of the operator."

I have no grudge against AK's, but find the Czech platform, design and quality exactly to my liking - especially when I put the folding stock on it.

For those of you who may be wondering just what this is all about:

YouTube - slow motion bullet impacts and vz.58 rifle

Isher

I know this is an older thread and don't know if you made a choice yet but look at the Scout over the Socom especially if you plan on doing an aftermarket stock.

I have a MK 14 Mod 0 and really like it. They are heavy though.

I had a 2x Aimpoint on it for a bit an found I like the open sights better. I did just pick up a Leatherwood CMR (did a review on it on this site) 1-4 which might be a good scope for this set up. I need to spend more time with that scope to decide though.

DSC05939.jpg

DSC04818.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

I owned a SOCOM II with the VLTOR Modstock. It shot beautifully, but only for one sight option at a time. I could not switch between my iron sites and optic. If you are looking for a system where you can easily use either Iron sights or optics, Troy industries is the way to go. The VLTOR stock has a bolt in which you can raise and lower the buttstock but it is time consuming. The Troy system puts the butt stock in line with the barrel, making it as easy as an AR style weapon for sight mounting options. The ergonmics of the Troy system are very ARish, so if you dont like the ergonomics of the AR you may want to stay away from that. I sold my VLTOR SOCOM II and bought a scout squad which is what I plan to put in the Troy chassis. I love my M14s. Most peoples complaints about them are the weight. If you dont mind the weight it would be a great primary weapon.

I have come across a few different variants in trade and haven't been able to nail down a keeper yet but I am leaning to a Scout Squad or Socom16 and still tossing around stock options.

My preference.. HK 91 A3 and clones. With the quick detach claw mount installed you can still use the iron sights. Magazines are as cheap as $0.89 each right now

hk91_03l.jpg

In a "bug out" situation, where you only have what you can carry, lugging around the weight of .308 ammo (vs. a lot more .223 for the same weight) isn't justifiable to me. My AR can reach out and touch anything I'd encounter in a "bug out" situation. Most of us live in the city, or suburbs. I have no need to "engage threats" at 600+ yards, in an urban setting where there's no where to shoot that far. Plus, if I were to "bug out" to the woods/hills like so many people speak of...last time I check in western washington, the trees are pretty darn close together. Only situation you might run into where you'd be flinging lead that far on this side of the hill, is if you're shooting across a clear cut. Plus, why waste ammo on misses at that distance if all you got is what you carried? It's better to stay hid or put distance between you and a threat, than to start shooting at it, potentially miss, then give away your position to potentially more threats, who may even be optically equipped, and a better shot than you. Just my 2 cents.

In a "bug out" situation, where you only have what you can carry, lugging around the weight of .308 ammo (vs. a lot more .223 for the same weight) isn't justifiable to me. My AR can reach out and touch anything I'd encounter in a "bug out" situation. Most of us live in the city, or suburbs. I have no need to "engage threats" at 600+ yards, in an urban setting where there's no where to shoot that far. Plus, if I were to "bug out" to the woods/hills like so many people speak of...last time I check in western washington, the trees are pretty darn close together. Only situation you might run into where you'd be flinging lead that far on this side of the hill, is if you're shooting across a clear cut. Plus, why waste ammo on misses at that distance if all you got is what you carried? It's better to stay hid or put distance between you and a threat, than to start shooting at it, potentially miss, then give away your position to potentially more threats, who may even be optically equipped, and a better shot than you. Just my 2 cents.

You don't have the distance to worry about in the city but you do have many more barriers. I know my .308's will punch though a lot more stuff then my .223's will. Just something to think about.

My concern with the M14 is the op-rod being fragile and bending when using hunting ammunition. I want to feel confident that my "do everything" rifle can eat any ammunition out there without any worries.

If you get an m1a/m14 make sure to get a Schuster adjustable gas plug so that you can use any type of ammunition you like. For a rifle you plan on counting on if things turn south, you should also have a rebuild kit with firing pin, extra springs, etc...

If you're looking for a modern .308, have you considered the LMT L129A1? It is the same as an SR-25, just cheaper and made by LMT instead of KAC (though KAC worked with them on this one). You get to keep the familiar ergonomics of your AR-15 too.

But doesn't the LMT L129A1 only come with a 16" barrel as compared with the R-25's 20" barrel? And for accuracy's sake isn't a longer barrel for distance? And will 4" of barrel length really make that much of a difference?

I have been considering moving from my AR variant to a M14 type .... your thoughts?

I did it over 10 years ago and couldn't be happier. I started with the SAGE chassis, tried several of the MCS from TROY and USGI synthetic stocks with RRM.
After trying all sorts of stocks and configurations I still own 3 different variants of the SAGE stock and a new Rogue bullpup chassis from Juggernaut Tactical.

The History and Development of the SAGE Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) chassis stock system

In a "bug out" situation, where you only have what you can carry, lugging around the weight of .308 ammo (vs. a lot more .223 for the same weight) isn't justifiable to me

Im old, fat and comfortable. Im staying put. With a pile of mags.

You never know the distance you will "need" to engage targets at. With a 308 you have a better range than a 556, and you know the 308 ability to turn cover into concealment.

I did the AR10, built a free floater, and while I like an AR15, the M1A is far superior option.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top