JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We already started to use "Other meats" Many but all non beef, as the prices are ridiculous now.
May get even worse. Asia is buying up the beef and were getting the shaft on prices here.
Welcome to the Soviet grocery market soon..............................no food and out of reach price wise.
The grocery bill has nearly doubled in the past 2 years and no sign of it stopping..

Better Develop a taste for beans and rice and rodent meat...................:mad:

Beef prices reach highest level since 1987 | Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/12/beef-prices-reach-highest-level-since-187

Published April 12, 2014
LUBBOCK, Texas – The highest beef prices in almost three decades have arrived just before the start of grilling season, causing sticker shock for both consumers and restaurant owners -- and relief isn't likely anytime soon.
A dwindling number of cattle and growing export demand from countries such as China and Japan have caused the average retail cost of fresh beef to climb to $5.28 a pound in February, up almost a quarter from January and the highest price since 1987.
Everything that's produced is being consumed, said Kevin Good, an analyst at CattleFax, a Colorado-based information group. And prices likely will stay high for a couple of years as cattle producers start to rebuild their herds amid big questions about whether the Southwest and parts of the Midwest will get enough rain to replenish pastures.
Meanwhile, quick trips to the grocery store could drag on a little longer as shoppers search for cuts that won't break the budgets. Patrons at one market in Lubbock seemed resigned to the high prices, but not happy.
"I quit buying steaks a while ago when the price went up," said 59-year-old Lubbock resident Len Markham, who works at Texas Tech. She says she limits red meat purchases to hamburger, opting for chicken, pork and fish instead.
Fellow Lubbock resident Terry Olson says she buys chicken and eggs now.
"I don't buy (red) meat, period," the 67-year-old said, admitting there's an occasional hamburger purchase. "Not like I used to because of the price."
Restaurant owners, too, must deal with the high prices. Mark Hutchens, owner of the 50 Yard Line Steakhouse in Lubbock, raised his menu prices for beef items by about 5 percent in November. Since then, the owner of the eatery has tried to make cuts elsewhere to avoid passing it on to customers.
"It really squeezes the small guys more," he said of non-chain restaurants. "You just can't keep going up on people forever. I just think you have to stay competitive and keep your costs low."
White-tablecloth restaurants have adjusted the size of their steaks, making them thinner to offset the price increases, says Jim Robb, director of the Colorado-based Livestock Marketing Information Center. Some places now serve a 6-ounce sirloin, compared to 8- or 10-ounce portions offered years ago, he said.
And fast-food restaurants are trimming costs by reducing the number of menu items and are offering other meat options, including turkey burgers, Robb said. Chain restaurants also try to buy in volume as much as they can, which essentially gives them a discount, Iowa State University assistant economics professor Lee Schulz said.
"That can help them when they're seeing these higher prices," he said. "They can't do anything with the high prices."
The high prices are welcome news for at least one group: ranchers, especially those in Texas who for years have struggled amid drought and high feed prices. Despite the most recent numbers that show the fewest head of cattle in the U.S. since 1951, prices for beef haven't declined along with the herd size as demand has remained strong.
But even as ranchers breathe a sigh of relief, some worry lasting high prices will prompt consumers to permanently change their buying habits -- switching to chicken or pork. Pete Bonds, a 62-year-old Texas rancher and president of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, said that's a big concern

Bought 394lbs of Black Angus Grain finished beef for $2.89 a lb cost into the freezer this summer. Butcher said it will go up to about $3.50 - $3.75 this coming summer. I got 14 Rib eyes a dozen Sirloins, and a dozen New Yorks got ribs got more roasts then I could fit in the big freezer and then filled the little freezer with almost 200lbs of the best 90% or better hamburger you ever tasted.

Guess my timing was pretty good.

I've been buying from a custom butcher shop for the past 4 years.
"Prime" cuts are now $12-$14 per #!!

So I installed this in my cupboard
mouse trap.jpg

Back when I had a healthy back we rarely bought beef as I was a very good hunter, always had fish, venison, grouse, duck & goose in abundance.
Now we still have plenty of fish & a little goose left (since I opted to boycott WDFG this hunting season) we'll have to buy meats......:(

Deer, elk , antelope, bear, pheasant, ducks geese, grouse........I don't need no hormone filled moo cow!

LET'S SEE;

$35,000 Truck
$500 gas
$1500 + guns
$2000+ camping gear
$200 food for trip
$100 restaurant food on trip
$$ for Ammo (hunt and Plink on trip...)??????
$200 replace 1 tire ruined on trip
$1.00 PER MILE
That's just off the top of my head...:):)

Ya, hunting your food makes more sense than buying organic beef or chicken, or...

You know I'm kidding, even though it is true

LET'S SEE;

$35,000 Truck
$500 gas
$1500 + guns
$2000+ camping gear
$200 food for trip
$1.00 PER MILE

Ya, hunting your food makes more sense than buying organic beef or chicken, or...

You sound like my wife!

LET'S SEE;

$0 Truck- not needed
$0 gas
$500 guns -not really just for one deer.
$0 camping gear
$0 food for trip
$0 restaurant food on trip
$0.45 for Ammo (hunt and Plink on trip...)??????
$0 replace 1 tire ruined on trip
$0 PER MILE

Fixed to reflect my hunt. But really it should be $0.45 per deer for ammo. The freezer paper, tape and bag for hanging just adds a little.

LET'S SEE;

$35,000 Truck
$500 gas
$1500 + guns
$2000+ camping gear
$200 food for trip
$1.00 PER MILE

You sound like my wife!

Yeah, we reject reality and substitute our own!! o_O

LET'S SEE;

$35,000 Truck
$500 gas
$1500 + guns
$2000+ camping gear
$200 food for trip
$1.00 PER MILE

Or walk out in the back yard and get that deer that is eating the roses..................... cost, $1.00< / 1 round.
And about 4 hrs total labor. Shhhhhh :)

COOL, you just walk out your back door!!!:):):D:D
Last year I had to actually walk to the back fence. This year was a little further of a walk and hopefully the next/last one will be closer. Just going to have to make a little room in the freezer for the next one.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:s0017:

That's a last case scenario LOL
Keep em eatin, keep em close :D

Seriously though The only beef I will buy is that 50% off stuff that goes out of their date system. hell that's just tenderized then.
We needed a little for some veggie soup and found about 2 lbs for about 4.50 for all of it. A little dark on the edges. Just getting tender. Hell I would buy kangaroo before I will pay the prices they charge now. There may be some shortage of possums around here too now. All summer I trap squirrels and relocate the damn things so they don't set up house in the attic. They just may end up in the soup pot too from now on. It only takes about 4 min to gut, skin and clean one. I usually get at least one a day in the live trap. Welcome to the third world again. Bush meat will become common place here too it looks like.,
II miss the days we could get Lean Lean ground Sirloin and Ground round for .39 a lb. 3.99 For 10 lbs of good meat and nice chuck roasts for .39 to .49 a lb
One thing zI learned though because my grandparents grew up on Homesteads in Montana and the Dakotas was that I could eat damn near everything that moved walked or crawled and 80 of the plants that grew as well. No finicky eaters in out family or you went hungry.
Oxtail Soup, Tongue, Head Cheese, Heart and Liver were delicacies. Also most butcher shops had all of it cheap. And we did buy a lot of that meat that others wouldn't. Now you play hell finding any of it in any meat market.
That is the food I grew up on. Gma made the best head cheese in North America.
Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Pork, Rabbit, Ducks, Geese none of it came from any store. It came from the pasture, the barnyard, the coops and the pens. We never bout meat until I got married and my wife and I moved to town. That didn't last long and we went back to the farms.
The country is going to be controlled by food supply, and people better learn to eat from many other sources. Those that don't learn that they can eat things they never thought they could will either become subservient to the politicos, or they will become understandingly related to the Donner Party in options........................................
There are many types of American or Canadian made Dog foods that were canned with higher standards that human foods, and fried up or cooked make damned good sandwiches, Soups, casseroles. You can curl your nose, but some of it is better grade than a lot of the ground beef you find in the stores today. 1/5th the cost. or less. It is a good backup food.

Last Edited:
The absolute best meat I ever ate in VietNam.... Was Dog.

I had Already gone BACK for seconds, when I was told the err species.

You can bet your Sweet Bippy, that down the line, many other animals will be added to our diet.

I have hunted or eaten from a hunt, squirrel, rattle snake deer, porcupine, grouse, geese, duck, rabbit, goat, wild boar... Bear... A few others, that I can not think of.... Its all good... but that dog, was down right succulent.... So, think about dog packs when TSHTF... For many different reasons, they will need to be controlled.

philip

That's a last case scenario LOL
Keep em eatin, keep em close :D

Seriously though The only beef I will buy is that 50% off stuff that goes out of their date system. hell that's just tenderized then.
We needed a little for some veggie soup and found about 2 lbs for about 4.50 for all of it. A little dark on the edges. Just getting tender. Hell I would buy kangaroo before I will pay the prices they charge now. There may be some shortage of possums around here too now. All summer I trap squirrels and relocate the damn things so they don't set up house in the attic. They just may end up in the soup pot too from now on. It only takes about 4 min to gut, skin and clean one. I usually get at least one a day in the live trap. Welcome to the third world again. Bush meat will become common place here too it looks like.,
II miss the days we could get Lean Lean ground Sirloin and Ground round for .39 a lb. 3.99 For 10 lbs of good meat and nice chuck roasts for .39 to .49 a lb
One thing zI learned though because my grandparents grew up on Homesteads in Montana and the Dakotas was that I could eat damn near everything that moved walked or crawled and 80 of the plants that grew as well. No finicky eaters in out family or you went hungry.
Oxtail Soup, Tongue, Head Cheese, Heart and Liver were delicacies. Also most butcher shops had all of it cheap. And we did buy a lot of that meat that others wouldn't. Now you play hell finding any of it in any meat market.
That is the food I grew up on. Gma made the best head cheese in North America.
Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Pork, Rabbit, Ducks, Geese none of it came from any store. It came from the pasture, the barnyard, the coops and the pens. We never bout meat until I got married and my wife and I moved to town. That didn't last long and we went back to the farms.
The country is going to be controlled by food supply, and people better learn to eat from many other sources. Those that don't learn that they can eat things they never thought they could will either become subservient to the politicos, or they will become understandingly related to the Donner Party in options........................................
There are many types of American or Canadian made Dog foods that were canned with higher standards that human foods, and fried up or cooked make damned good sandwiches, Soups, casseroles. You can curl your nose, but some of it is better grade than a lot of the ground beef you find in the stores today. 1/5th the cost. or less. It is a good backup food.

Man this reminds me of my Grand ma. she grew up on the Rosebud Res and during the war she would talk about eating ground squirrel and whatever else happened to get into the pot.
She did say the stray dog population went way down then as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top